Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Audio System Overhaul

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Thread Starter #61
Just got a call from my installer and he's telling me the Alpines won't fit in the doors! The magnets are way too big he said. So he said he is going to go with the Focal Flax series, which is what was suggested earlier in this thread. They are more money but are a better speaker.

Reactions
Just got a call from my installer and he's telling me the Alpines won't fit in the doors! The magnets are way too big he said. So he said he is going to go with the Focal Flax series, which is what was suggested earlier in this thread. They are more money but are a better speaker.
I’m guessing he didn’t cut the the plastic piece out. It would most likely fit if he did. I installed a full Audiofrog system and there is no way the mid bass would have fit without removing the plastic piece in the oem spot. Took two seconds.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #63
I’m not sure. He said the tweeter was too big also. He’s supposed to send me some pictures. I mean, anything can be made to fit. It’s just a matter of how far you’re willing to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Honestly, you should get them pod mounted on dash or built into A pillars. You most likely, like me, will not be too happy with the sound of them being in the doors.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #65
Yeah, I wanted them built into the A-pillars but it’s just not in the budget. I’ve had some unexpected expenses recently and had to shave some funds off a few projects and this was one of them. That and the additional cost of using the Focals.

Reactions
You can get pods off eBay for the focals. Super easy to install. Doesn’t necessarily look as clean, but the sound is there.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You can get pods off eBay for the focals. Super easy to install. Doesn’t necessarily look as clean, but the sound is there.
You have to be careful with those pods for a midrange. Many are too small and choke the driver. The tweeter pods are generally ok.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #68
While I'm sure the sound would be better I just don't like the look of the tweeter sticking out of the pillar. Maybe sometime down the road I will move them but it will be a custom mount that's clean and looks like it came that way.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #69
I got to hear the Focal speakers set up in an F150. He had it in the shop for something and let me listen to them. Very nice set up. Started with the same B&O system as we have in our Explorers. Kid spent almost $25k on the install! I can only hope my system sounds half as good as his!

Explorer ST Posts