Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

AS1 Valvetronic Exhaust Build

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Very nice build, something about building and fabricating your own exhaust! Great work.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not to mention the V-band fabrication. When are you selling these?

OP
WindyDishes
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
Very nice build, something about building and fabricating your own exhaust! Great work.
Thanks man I actually had AS1 do all the welding, I just designed it.

OP
WindyDishes
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #25
Not to mention the V-band fabrication. When are you selling these?
AS1 would be more than glad to make more, The only problem is I don’t think people would want to pay what this actually cost.

Reactions
Is that 3" in the middle section when it merges? I woulda just went dual 2.5" in that case

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
OP
WindyDishes
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #28
Is that 3" in the middle section when it merges? I woulda just went dual 2.5" in that case
Not what I was looking for, and weight reduction duhhh haha

Reactions

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I did, but was kind of surprised that it wasn't 3.5" in the middle to account for the reduction in volume that a single 3" pipe would give you vs 2x2.25" or 2x2.5" . Single 3" should be plenty though, and you do save on materials. The fabrication work looks amazing!
You're right, a 3" pipe is plenty. The name of the game in exhaust design (for performance, not acoustics) is to keep the velocity high so as to retain as much inertial energy as possible with as little surface area as possible. A smaller surface area equates to more heat retention which contributes to the inertial energy. I put out an entire thread on this subject here:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...-a-performance-exhaust-system.2775/post-33847

Swchase

Reactions
curious why such an elaborate setup and not do the downpipes. Not knocking, just curious on your decision because I know it isn't based off finaces.

OP
WindyDishes
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #32
curious why such an elaborate setup and not do the downpipes. Not knocking, just curious on your decision because I know it isn't based off finaces.
Honestly no need for downpipes for me right now, and i also heard that a few companies were coming out with their own so i wanted to wait...

Also, finances do play a roll in this. If i do Downpipes i'll have to do a ZFG tune, but when i do the tune i want my charge pipes and a intake done (make TI ones). So it's really time/funding is holding me back.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Here are some links from my drop box. Since these are Valvetronic mufflers, the videos are with the valves in OPEN position.
Drive By
Pull Away
Nice work! Sounds fantastic and I’m super jealous, been thinking about valvetronic as well. Think I’ll save up some allowance and try to do something similar. Thanks for the fine example!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Does it hurt to have the valvetronic mufflers mounted in reverse? In all the installs I've seen except this one, the "elbow" end is to the rear of the vehicle. Does it make any difference?

Last edited: