Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Apple or Android, which do you use?

Do you use Apple or Android in your Explorer ST?

• Apple

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Android

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Both

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
Do you use Apple or Android in your Explorer ST?

gpz1221

Reactions
Android here, I will not buy a vehicle without Android Auto & Apple Care Play (wife has Apple). I use it daily, works great in the ST w/Sync 3. I especially use it when driving in traffic congested areas (Google Maps is superior for traffic detection) and running the open highways (Waze). I used Google search's thru AA all the time for business driving directions, store hours, to call business's, etc.. Voice commands are also top notch in Android, Google always seems to understand your voice commands. I do not use the Android music/entertainment apps in AA as I do not have unlimited data on my phone. The fact that Ford and the ST supported Android Auto and Apple Carplay was an important factor in our purchase decision.

GCP0918

Reactions
Android here, I will not buy a vehicle without Android Auto & Apple Care Play (wife has Apple). I use it daily, works great in the ST w/Sync 3. I especially use it when driving in traffic congested areas (Google Maps is superior for traffic detection) and running the open highways (Waze). I used Google search's thru AA all the time for business driving directions, store hours, to call business's, etc.. Voice commands are also top notch in Android, Google always seems to understand your voice commands. I do not use the Android music/entertainment apps in AA as I do not have unlimited data on my phone. The fact that Ford and the ST supported Android Auto and Apple Carplay was an important factor in our purchase decision.

Last edited:

GCP0918

Reactions
I've been a fan Android Auto and was looking forward to using it with the large ST display. However, the display only gives AA the upper third of the screen. With an iPhone connected Waze is available as an additional app and the map shows in full screen. What gives Ford? Show some love to Android users!

Reactions
Apple. Have not had a chance to mess with it yet. Just got the garage door opener to work. One thing at a time. HaHa

brewjaz

Reactions
Hi! I'm new on here and just bought my 2020 Exp. ST last Wed. This is driving me crazy as I don't care for Google because of privacy and data collection. I cannot get my voice commands to work on Sync 3. I've tried to find an online answer and all I can come up with is I need Android Auto for voice and most features. Here on this discussion, the app is praised. Do I have to get Android Auto for voice controls? How much am I otherwise limited for features?

I could ask at the dealer, but today's Sunday and they're closed. I'm itching to use my Sync.

Last edited:
Reactions
Apple. The full screen Waze app is awesome.

Reactions
Android. The size allotted to the Android apps is pathetic! I need full-screen (or at least 1/2) for Google Maps.

Reactions
Damn, I'm sorry - I didn't even read the thread for questions...

brewjaz

To use an android and its apps you need Android Apps, for iPhone, you need Apple Car Play. Download whichever and install. Then get the google apps.

But if you're really that paranoid, you're in the wrong car and shouldn't even carry a smartphone.

Last edited:
Reactions
How do you get full screen Waze?
I actually stumbled across it by accident. I plugged my phone in and for some reason it did not automatically connect to car play. I hit the apps tab and Waze showed up. I tried to replicate it later and figured out that i had to connect my phone via the usb cable and then cancel car play and connect to Waze via the apps tab. There may be a better way and maybe I can explain better if I'm not clear. Hope this helps.

Reactions
I just got it too. I disabled carplay in the Explorer's settings. Now I see the "Waze" app listed in the Explorer's apps when I plug my phone into usb port.

MBK

Reactions
Well, I cannot get either to work properly with my 2020 ST. Ford Tech says "yeah, you might not be able to make calls with Android Auto or Car Play" so frustrating!! I can make/recieve 1 maybe 2 calls, then the system freezes up.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Explorer ST Posts