Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone try these ebay black lug nuts

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
EDIT: I HAD THE WRONG LUGS, PLEASE IGNORE POSTS THANKS!

Hello everyone:

So I will be another person to say, these vehicles should have come with black lug nuts. Well they didn't and no use complaining about it. So, searched around the net, and obviously found Ford Performaces lugs, but the $195 sounds a little steep to me. I found these for $30 from Gorilla (who I have heard good things about). Now I don't want my wheel to be coming off, so if I have to spend $195 then that's fine, I'm just wondering if these ones from Gorilla will be fine.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Wrong thread size, the 20+ explorers use the larger 14mm x 1.5 thread. Find a set in the correct thread and you should be good.

I just checked amazon and a set of gorilla nuts in the right thread size is a 130 bucks.

Last edited:
OP
2020FordRaptor
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thread Starter #3
Hahaha so dumb. Alright, I'll check those out. Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Gorilla as a company is very good been around forever. each lug nut is a lock (easy to defeat) but there is 5 on each wheel lol. for looks the ford performance ones will look better IMO.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
But the ford performance ones are capped just like the OEM lug nuts, which can round off or swell up when the plain steel lug nut underneath starts to rust then you can't get a socket on them. For what ford charges for them, your better off buying a good aftermarket set that is solid like the gorillas or McGard.

This is the set I bought for my ST when I put on my 22's
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QB5AVA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This set comes with 16 standard lug nuts, and 4 locking lug nuts with a matching key.

These nuts take a 22mm socket so if you don't have one, get one. I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XN7SM4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Summit racing has some for 25$ for 4

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Silver Spruce Explorer ST
FWIW, Gorilla lists the exact same part number for both the Explorer lugs and the Mustang lugs, as do many others who sell lugs. Personally, I have ordered a set of these Mustang Lugs and will soon be installing them on my ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
FWIW, Gorilla lists the exact same part number for both the Explorer lugs and the Mustang lugs, as do many others who sell lugs. Personally, I have ordered a set of these Mustang Lugs and will soon be installing them on my ST.
Have you installed them yet?

Reactions
Vehicle
Have you installed them yet?
Not yet as I have neither a 22mm socket or a torque wrench capable of 150 lb-ft, so I am going to have to wait until I get a chance to run by the tire shop to have them thrown on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
They'll fit, they are the same diameter, pitch, and shoulder taper but the Explorer and Mustang lug nuts have different shoulders on them. The Explorer uses the larger bulge shoulder than the Mustang. Ask me how I know. eBay's application pages show them to be different. I'll try to get a picture up. It simply comes down to the surface area that makes contact with the wheel. I'll try to get a picture up. Here's another thread on this:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/conical-seat-angle.4143/#post-53719

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
These are both Gorilla lug nuts. The larger lugnut is for the Explorer and Trucks and is the same size as the chrome ones that come on the vehicle. The smaller one is the lugnut mentioned early in this thread. I know firsthand that the one on the left will fit Edge wheels whereas the larger one will not fit in the stud hole. The splined lug nuts come in the same configuration.

Don't get me wrong. Both of these lug nuts will fit a 14mm 1.5 pitch stud. If you go to a tire shop and buy a specific wheel they may require a smaller seat as the wheel may have a smaller lug nut hole. Some people like to see the lug nut recessed and may choose the shorter one. If you're using the Ford wheels you might want to consider what was designed for the Ford wheel, then again maybe not.

Take a look at eBay's catalog, it's easy to use but does show these nuts for different applications.

WIN_20230317_21_34_55_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220111_13_22_06_Pro.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Not yet as I have neither a 22mm socket or a torque wrench capable of 150 lb-ft, so I am going to have to wait until I get a chance to run by the tire shop to have them thrown on.
If you read the description, those lugs take a standard 13/16 or 21mm socket. The McGard ones I mentioned a few posts earlier is the only ones I've ever seen that takes an oversize 22 mm.

I have a set of the cheap black lug nuts from american muscle for my stock wheels and I can verify they are 21 mm.

Reactions
These are both Gorilla lug nuts. The larger lugnut is for the Explorer and Trucks and is the same size as the chrome ones that come on the vehicle. The smaller one is the lugnut mentioned early in this thread. I know firsthand that the one on the left will fit Edge wheels whereas the larger one will not fit in the stud hole. The splined lug nuts come in the same configuration.

Don't get me wrong. Both of these lug nuts will fit a 14mm 1.5 pitch stud. If you go to a tire shop and buy a specific wheel they may require a smaller seat as the wheel may have a smaller lug nut hole. Some people like to see the lug nut recessed and may choose the shorter one. If you're using the Ford wheels you might want to consider what was designed for the Ford wheel, then again maybe not.

Take a look at eBay's catalog, it's easy to use but does show these nuts for different applications.

View attachment 16976

View attachment 16977
Good call out. I run the larger ones when the stock wheels are on and the smaller ones when the aftermarket wheels are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
They'll fit, they are the same diameter, pitch, and shoulder taper but the Explorer and Mustang lug nuts have different shoulders on them. The Explorer uses the larger bulge shoulder than the Mustang. Ask me how I know. eBay's application pages show them to be different. I'll try to get a picture up. It simply comes down to the surface area that makes contact with the wheel. I'll try to get a picture up. Here's another thread on this:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/conical-seat-angle.4143/#post-53719
Not disputing that there is a difference, in fact just looking at the still-installed OEM nuts and the Mustang nuts it's quite obvious that there is, but it is interesting that Gorilla, McGard, and even Ford Performance all list the same part number for both the Explorer and the Mustang.

Reactions
Vehicle
If you read the description, those lugs take a standard 13/16 or 21mm socket. The McGard ones I mentioned a few posts earlier is the only ones I've ever seen that takes an oversize 22 mm.

I have a set of the cheap black lug nuts from american muscle for my stock wheels and I can verify they are 21 mm.
The ones I received from American Muscle are definitely 13/16 (.8125") whereas the OEM nuts are 22mm, so I can't get the OEMs off without a 22mm. Even if I could, I would still need them torqued and the tire shop charges the same, so I'll just let them do it all.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not disputing that there is a difference, in fact just looking at the still-installed OEM nuts and the Mustang nuts it's quite obvious that there is, but it is interesting that Gorilla, McGard, and even Ford Performance all list the same part number for both the Explorer and the Mustang.
I believe they list this the way they do because it is wheel dependent. Some wheels, like the stock ones, have room for the larger nut, and some aftermarket wheels do not.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
whereas the OEM nuts are 22mm, so I can't get the OEMs off without a 22mm.
Are you sure about that? I have 3 complete sets sitting in a box of 14 x1.50 capped OEM lug nuts from my mustang, the wifes edge, and my explorer and every single one of them out of 60 in total came off with a 21 mm or a 13/16.

Reactions
Vehicle
Are you sure about that? I have 3 complete sets sitting in a box of 14 x1.50 capped OEM lug nuts from my mustang, the wifes edge, and my explorer and every single one of them out of 60 in total came off with a 21 mm or a 13/16.
Your reply prompted me to recheck and, sure enough, a 13/16 will fit over about half of the OEMs, so I suspect the other half are buggered up just enough that they would likely require the slightly larger 21mm (13/16 = .8125", 21mm = .8268") or maybe even a 22mm. The fun never ends.