Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Conical seat angle

Reactions
Can anyone confirn if the 2020 st uses a conical seat taper (or acorn as some call it) for there lug nuts. Thank you in advance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thank you all I really appreciate it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@ferneyhough, I think you're looking for a big bulge lug nut. These have the bigger shoulder at the bottom. The big bulge (acorn) on the left and peanut on the right was common terminology back in my shop days. These two lug nuts fit the same lug stud but not necessarily the same wheel. Having said that, I've seen the smaller lug nut installed many times where the larger one is designed to go. Get all the contact surface area the wheel will allow.

WIN_20220111_13_22_06_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
@ferneyhough, I think you're looking for a bulge lug nut. These have the bigger shoulder at the bottom. The bulge on the left and peanut on the right was common terminology back in my shop days. These two lug nuts fit the same lug stud but not necessarily the same wheel. Having said that, I've seen the smaller lug nut installed many times where the larger one is designed to go. Get all the contact surface area the wheel will allow.

View attachment 13349
Ok thank you. Im just looking to replace my factory lug nuts for my factory wheels for black nuts. I know gorilla & white knight are good options. I will have some research to do. Thank you.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Those pictured are both Gorilla and are my personal choice. That said, McGard makes a decent lug nut too. I've also seen where several have ordered the black Ford OE style lug nuts and reported favorably. The Ford lug nuts seem to be a little more pricey and are a two-piece lug nut where the McGard and Gorilla don't use the tin shield that goes over the lug nut. That particular design is something that I wanted to get away from. I think any of the lug nuts will benefit from a coating put on them prior to installation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183932391950

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Ok thank you. Im just looking to replace my factory lug nuts for my factory wheels for black nuts. I know gorilla & white knight are good options. I will have some research to do. Thank you.
GearHead is correct you want the "Big Bulge" lugs they are revised for heavier trucks SUVs and you are correct also you want the cone shaped ones.
Will it hurt if you get the smaller ones? I doubt it but they made them bigger for a reason. The one on the left of his picture is what you want. I just started research on them also. someone said they are 14mm and 1.5" long no idea on that thats just what I read somewhere. I think I am going to get the ford racing ones to me they look the best (simplest) I am not buying wheels for this SUV so the extra $50 wont hurt me, lol. Let us know what you go with please.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@Rocketw19, May I ask where Roseville is? Is that in Cali? I ask because some who live in harsher climates, particularly where roads are treated with a lot of salt may actually benefit from not having the sheet metal cover that comes on the OE lug nuts. Sunny warm climates, no big deal. Well... that also assumes you do not have some Big Bear using an air gun to install/remove them.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
@Rocketw19, May I ask where Roseville is? Is that in Cali? I ask because some who live in harsher climates, particularly where roads are treated with a lot of salt may actually benefit from not having the sheet metal cover that comes on the OE lug nuts. Sunny warm climates, no big deal. Well... that also assumes you do not have some Big Bear using an air gun to install/remove them.
Yes California, I honestly would have no idea good or bad? even my common sense has no idea lol.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
GearHead is correct you want the "Big Bulge" lugs they are revised for heavier trucks SUVs and you are correct also you want the cone shaped ones.
Will it hurt if you get the smaller ones? I doubt it but they made them bigger for a reason. The one on the left of his picture is what you want. I just started research on them also. someone said they are 14mm and 1.5" long no idea on that thats just what I read somewhere. I think I am going to get the ford racing ones to me they look the best (simplest) I am not buying wheels for this SUV so the extra $50 wont hurt me, lol. Let us know what you go with please.
14X1.5 is the metric size. 14mm stud, 1.5mm thread pitch. I run 1.32” long lug nuts…I don’t like them sticking out.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I think I might goes with these from amazon canada.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
$61 bucks can’t beat that. They look nice also. Thanks for screen shot I might have to copy you.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Np. I will let you all know if & when I pull the trigger.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

Msmith4x4

Reactions
Thanks for the info. I will search for some that are 1.3" or so.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thanks for the info. I will search for some that are 1.3" or so.
woosh motorsports has the ford racing ones that fit I think they are 150 bucks though not sure if that matters to you?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
$150.00 !? Yeow!! I bought these off Amazon $28. They fit fine and tightened up with no complaints

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B096C68LNH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Oops, I missed the locking part. Fortunately, I live where they are not so necessary. I had locking lugs on my Ram. After some front-end work, I didn't realize the key was no longer in the glove box. Six months or so, it was time for rotation. I had to hammer a socket over the locking lugs. I vowed NEVER AGAIN would I have those things.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Ok so as promised I got these bad boys today & got them installed. I am absolutely amazed of the quailty for $69 total canadian. Here are a few pic's. Also they are exactly the same size as the oem & do not stick out one bit. Don't mind to semi dirty rims lol. They came all individually bagged in sealed bags.

Attachments