Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone else find the GPS worthless?

Reactions
I swear the only thing the GPS is good for programing in your home address.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The irony of Ford blocking us from using gps while in drive, and yet they have no continuous seat belt chime. Ford is way behind on tech. Let me use the gps when I want.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have always been able to just talk ti Siri. The Ford GPS must need it worded in a certain way because Ive never been able to voice command it. Abandoned it early on.

Reactions
I haven't used the stock GPS. Any time I'm driving my phone is plugged in so I get Google.

The irony of Ford blocking us from using gps while in drive, and yet they have no continuous seat belt chime. Ford is way behind on tech. Let me use the gps when I want.
My 2011 F350 turns the radio off if I don't have a seatbelt on for an extended amount of time while the truck is in motion. Recently found this out when was driving around a customer's yard looking for a broken overhead line.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It's gotta be a CYA thing ...

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I use CarPlay in my truck, but Waze is always glitchy.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I swear the only thing the GPS is good for programing in your home address.
I strongly disagree. The GPS in mine worked better than great on a 2,600 mile road trip. It took us around nasty traffic, an over-an-hour wreck tie-up, construction delays and other such aggravations. BTW, NEVER put your home address in the GPS. Program a nearby gas station, intersection or well-lit parking lot.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I strongly disagree. The GPS in mine worked better than great on a 2,600 mile road trip. It took us around nasty traffic, an over-an-hour wreck tie-up, construction delays and other such aggravations. BTW, NEVER put your home address in the GPS. Program a nearby gas station, intersection or well-lit parking lot.
I guess I should have clarified. Trying to get the GPS to recognize a destination is a nightmare. If you are able to get the GPS to accept the destination, it works great.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Welp, mine works perfectly. It’s so good the wife can use it with no problems and that is saying a lot! The worst I’ve ever used is Toyota. We also have a 2016 Prius for the wife…

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Larger round of updates on my other car today. 13 categories. Small but helpful improvement to the navigation. Hoping Ford has the same culture of continuous improvement and software updates. No restrictions on using nav while driving either (just in reverse for obvious reasons).

Attachments

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I think Synch Navigation is pretty damn good. I only find issues when a hotel might be on a service road in a retail area and does not want to appear. At that point I used Android auto google map

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I guess I should have clarified. Trying to get the GPS to recognize a destination is a nightmare. If you are able to get the GPS to accept the destination, it works great.
We've not even had that problem. We can set to a city or a specific address without any aggravation. It even took us through back-streets to our hotel in Arlington, VA. We didn't have to deal with DC traffic much at all. I had been dreading tangling with it.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Larger round of updates on my other car today. 13 categories. Small but helpful improvement to the navigation. Hoping Ford has the same culture of continuous improvement and software updates. No restrictions on using nav while driving either (just in reverse for obvious reasons).
You can use FORScan to change the country code to eliminate all the “attempts” at idiot-proofing in the US

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My previous ride was a 2012 Jaguar XF supercharged. The GPS system wasn't laggy, it was glacial- as in unusable. Each part of an address accessed its hard drive to try to predict your input. Say you want 1143 Joe Blow ave. Type the first "1", and after a 5 second pause while it accessed its "database" for the thousands of addresses beginning with that number, showing the first 5 on the screen. Type the second "1" and it would do the same 5 second pause while it whittled the list down...and so forth. God forbid the address was in a different state, because that required a completely different database which was buried about 5 submenus down in a completely different area. Took me a couple months (really!) of frustration to find it. The couple of times I took the time to actually enter a location I got a pop-up telling me the roads weren't on the map! Owner's manual- worthless. Whoever programmed that crap was working on an emulator about 10,000 times faster than the processor in the car.

So, coming from that system- the NAV on the Ford is a wonder!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Bioweapon Defense Mode? o_O

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Bioweapon Defense Mode? o_O
In the event of bio warfare. Probably helps with nuclear fallout until you can get somewhere safer. Does something to seal up the car I think, but still keep you alive. They definitely are having fun with cars right?!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
In the event of bio warfare. Probably helps with nuclear fallout until you can get somewhere safer. Does something to seal up the car I think, but still keep you alive. They definitely are having fun with cars right?!
Oh those kids at Ford. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
The NAV was nice a couple weeks ago when I was in South Dakota with little to no cell phone coverage. Usually step #1 for me is plug my android in and googlemaps my destination, but without cell service that doesn't work too well!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The NAV was nice a couple weeks ago when I was in South Dakota with little to no cell phone coverage. Usually step #1 for me is plug my android in and googlemaps my destination, but without cell service that doesn't work too well!
Doesn’t downloading the area’s map to Google Maps solve that?