Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone else find the GPS worthless?

MaverickX

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I agree that the navigation in Explorer is horrible. It is constantly having hard times finding addresses and locations entered. I sometimes have to simply zoom in/out and slide the map on the screen to point the stupid thing to the location I need to get to. But what irritates me even more is the voice recognition. I am not a native speaker, so I have some accent (ppl say not a heavy one). The recognition software is absolutely dumb. You have to pronounce commands with the accuracy of a CNN narrator to [hopefully] make it hear you correctly. Forget about non-English names in your address book completely. So primitive! Such a shame! I drove a 2013 Dodge Journey R/T before. The vehicle (along with its software) was designed in 2010 if not 2009. Its voice recognition was waaaaaaay more superior to the cr*p that Ford implemented in the Explorer designed in 2019. What a shame! I ended up almost never using the built-in GPS and using Google maps instead. But again, they put Sync 3, not Sync 4 in Explorer, so you have to connect your phone via a cable, as Sync 3 does not support Android Auto via Bluetooth. Pain... :confused:

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
“The Accuracy of a CNN Narrator” therein lies your problem with your GPS.

MaverickX

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
“The Accuracy of a CNN Narrator” therein lies your problem with your GPS.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Funny. But I am sure you've understood what I mean.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
you have to connect your phone via a cable, as Sync 3 does not support Android Auto via Bluetooth. Pain... :confused:
I found some magnetic usb c adapters on Amazon. I have one on the phone charger cable and another on the cable in the Explorer. There is a mating plug stuck into the phone’s usb port. This setup literally makes it a snap to connect/disconnect the phone.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I actually like the GPS in our ST better than Google Maps. I use it around town and on long trips across several states with no issues. Google Maps never noted that we stopped at one of our pre-programmed stops at a gas station and told us to turn around for an hour before I finally turned it off and went back to the ST Nav and continued on our trip. I've used it several times and will continue...but trying to play music from a USB drive? That's a whole nother story lol!

hbalek

Reactions
I actually like the GPS in our ST better than Google Maps. I use it around town and on long trips across several states with no issues. Google Maps never noted that we stopped at one of our pre-programmed stops at a gas station and told us to turn around for an hour before I finally turned it off and went back to the ST Nav and continued on our trip. I've used it several times and will continue...but trying to play music from a USB drive? That's a whole nother story lol!
Just don't update Sync to 22251 then you'll see all kinds of problems with your screen including half a map on the portrait style screen and no nav history or favorites. The update will fill up your memory folder and your settings will go back to default and won't stay next time you start up. Ford is taking their time coming up with a software fix for this. I've been waiting for over 3 months.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Just don't update Sync to 22251 then you'll see all kinds of problems with your screen including half a map on the portrait style screen and no nav history or favorites. The update will fill up your memory folder and your settings will go back to default and won't stay next time you start up. Ford is taking their time coming up with a software fix for this. I've been waiting for over 3 months.
It looks like I already did with no issues, but I haven't taken a trip since:
SYNC GenerationSYNC 3

SYNC Version3.4.22251

But I hope they do something soon!

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
The GPS is fine if you have exact addresses. But trying to find trail heads, parks, and certain hotels seem impossible, all of which my Apple Maps have no issue finding.