Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone considering adding aftermarket subwoofers?

Reactions
I'm defintely not a DIYer but love watching install videos. Check out Five Star Car Stereo on YouTube...they do a full install on a 2020 Raptor it's a five part series soup to nuts, just search for Raptor Audison. Some of their info might prove to be useful...hope this helps.
You weren't kidding! I'm kinda' torn between doing an upgrade on all the door speakers myself and paying for the sub/amp or something else. Small shop quoted ~$2,400 to replace the front doors with Hybrid Audio Unity drivers, an Audison sub (same location) and a combination of Audison DSPs and DD Audio amps. Ford mechanic thought it wasn't a bad deal and he agreed doing the rears right now probably isn't worth it but I can just do the speakers myself later.

Reactions
Flyersguy you won’t be disappointed with the HAT’s!

I have an AudioControl LC-1.1500 and a JL 13TW5 on the way to beef up the low end. So far I’m liking the B&O speakers though! And with more bass coming from the aftermarket subwoofer I will be able to lower the bass and midrange even more.

Reactions
Flyersguy you won’t be disappointed with the HAT’s!

I have an AudioControl LC-1.1500 and a JL 13TW5 on the way to beef up the low end. So far I’m liking the B&O speakers though! And with more bass coming from the aftermarket subwoofer I will be able to lower the bass and midrange even more.
Can't wait to get this stuff installed.

Reactions
Check out Frostbitebox.com for sub enclosures. They have the "Gravity Series" Sealed/Downfiring in a single or double configuration accomodating 10" and 12" subs. Just got mine for my JL Audio Shallow 10TW3-D4. 20200509_082109.jpg

Reactions
Check out Frostbitebox.com for sub enclosures. They have the "Gravity Series" Sealed/Downfiring in a single or double configuration accomodating 10" and 12" subs. Just got mine for my JL Audio Shallow 10TW3-D4. View attachment 699
Be sure to share some post install pics.

Reactions
Subbed for install pics

mwilson

Reactions
Anyone just change out the existing sub and amp for something better and put it in the exact same location? I don’t want to mess with a box or a ton of mods.

Reactions
Do you have the premium system? If yes you can't remove the amp due to the Can Bus. Pretty sure you would need a NavTV Zen A2B interface and plug it into the factory radio. There are many options and compact sub amps like the Audio Control ACM1.300, it gives you 300 watts rms @ 2ohms and oy measures 9-1/2"W x 1-13/16"H x 3-9/16"D, problem with the existing location is you may not have enough air space the subwoofer would require. Look into a shallow mounted sub like the JL Audio 10TW series, they only need .5 a cubic foot of airspace to sound good. Good luck!!!

Reactions
My entire system is being upgraded by an indi that came highly recommended. He comes to the customer. He's already done several gen 6 Explorers so I'm not the guinea pig. He uses Crutchfield as his supplier. Total gear head. Has several classic Mustangs in his garage.

Reactions
Awesome, try to take some install pics before and after.

Reactions
Anyone just change out the existing sub and amp for something better and put it in the exact same location? I don’t want to mess with a box or a ton of mods.
I'm having the sub and front door speakers swapped (upgraded B&O package). Sub will be an Audison APS8D with a DD Audio DM500 amp. Installer will add some spray cell foam and some acoustic mats, too.

Reactions
Awesome, post pics if possible!!!

Reactions

mwilson

Reactions
Do you have the premium system? If yes you can't remove the amp due to the Can Bus. Pretty sure you would need a NavTV Zen A2B interface and plug it into the factory radio. There are many options and compact sub amps like the Audio Control ACM1.300, it gives you 300 watts rms @ 2ohms and oy measures 9-1/2"W x 1-13/16"H x 3-9/16"D, problem with the existing location is you may not have enough air space the subwoofer would require. Look into a shallow mounted sub like the JL Audio 10TW series, they only need .5 a cubic foot of airspace to sound good. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much! I was actually looking at JL Audio the other day. I'm not sure a 10'' would fit though. I think it might be an 8" sub but I gotta get in there and measure. And yes, I have the "premium" sound system...or so it's called!

mwilson

Reactions
My entire system is being upgraded by an indi that came highly recommended. He comes to the customer. He's already done several gen 6 Explorers so I'm not the guinea pig. He uses Crutchfield as his supplier. Total gear head. Has several classic Mustangs in his garage.
Can you send him to Washington State when he's done? LOL

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ll be spending the next couple of months fine tuning my list and working out the install details but right now my list is:
Focal Utopia M tweeter and midrange in custom a-pillars.
Illusion Audio Carbon C8 midbass in the doors.
Illusion Carbon C12XL built into the same side as the oem sub.
Mosconi Pro 1/10 and a pair of 4/10 amps.
Mosconi Aerospace 8to12 DSP with remote RCD controller.
Amps and processing will be a false floor build above the spare tire.
Still a lot of things to work out and finalize. My goal is to keep everything under 200lbs installed. I bought this ST with the goal of competing in MECA SQL again...looks like Modified class with the pillar build.

Reactions
I’ll be spending the next couple of months fine tuning my list and working out the install details but right now my list is:
Focal Utopia M tweeter and midrange in custom a-pillars.
Illusion Audio Carbon C8 midbass in the doors.
Illusion Carbon C12XL built into the same side as the oem sub.
Mosconi Pro 1/10 and a pair of 4/10 amps.
Mosconi Aerospace 8to12 DSP with remote RCD controller.
Amps and processing will be a false floor build above the spare tire.
Still a lot of things to work out and finalize. My goal is to keep everything under 200lbs installed. I bought this ST with the goal of competing in MECA SQL again...looks like Modified class with the pillar build.
That's awesome, keep in mind if you have the B&O system like we all do you need that A2B interface to plug into the factory stereo and you can probably run Toslink from the Interface to the DSP.
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT889/zen-a2b-dsp12a-a2b.html

Reactions
I finalized my specs for my build:
NavTV Zen-A2BAUDIO DSP12A-A2B Kit/899 Audio Interface
AudioControl D-6.1200 w/ BlueTooth Adapter
AudioControl ACM-1.300 Mono Amp or AudioControl LC-1.800 (depends on the space available)
Focal K2 3-way Components w/Stinger Fast Rings
Focal K2 Coaxials w/ Stinger Fast Rings
JL 10TW3-D4 10" Shallow Mounted Sub in a Frostbite Gravity Single Series Enclosure
GroundZero Door Kit Pros for Sound Damping all 4 doors
Having amps and Crossovers Mounted in Factory Sub Location

Last edited:

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My set-up:

NAVTV ZEN-A2B...................................................RETAIL $549.99 YOUR PRICE $500.00 ( Factory audio interface )

FOCAL EC165KX3................................................MAP PRICE $2299.99 YOUR PRICE $1889.00 ( Front three ways running full active )

40' JL AUDIO 0 GAUGE CABLE PACKAGE........ YOUR PRICE $400.00 ( Super hi quality 100% OFC copper wire for both power & ground from battery )

CABLES FOR "BIG 3" UPGRADE........................YOUR PRICE $100.00 ( 100% OFC copper wire for Alternator to battery, engine block to chassis & battery ground to chassis )

MOSCONI 6TO8PRO DSP.....................................MAP PRICE $799.99 YOUR PRICE $689.00 ( 6 channel in / 8 channel out full suite DSP )

MOSCONI RCMINI.................................................MAP PRICE $249.99 YOUR PRICE $219.00 ( DSP controller / bass knob / preset selector )

STINGER ROADKILL EXTREME (CASE).............MAP PRICE $195.00 YOUR PRICE $179.00 ( 9 sheets is 36 SQ. Feet / 18'' X 36" Per Sheet )

STINGER SERIES 8000 PREAMP CABLES........MAP PRICE $451.00 YOUR PRICE $320.00 ( 4 Y-Adapters, 5-3' 2 channel RCA from DSP to amps )

MATERIALS..........................................................YOUR PRICE $150.00 ( Wood, mounting steel, fabric,ring terminals.....)

JL AUDIO 10W3V.3-4 (4).......................................MAP PRICE $1199.96 YOUR PRICE $1035.00
** O R **
JL AUDIO 10W6V.3-D4 (4)....................................MAP PRICE $2399.96 YOUR PRICE $1990.00

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FOCAL PS165V1.................MAP PRICE $519.99 YOUR PRICE $419.00 ( Rear door 6.5'' woofer w. 1'' tweeter in factory locations )

Attachments

Explorer ST Posts