Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone considering adding aftermarket subwoofers?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you use the wire from the factory speakers? Im installing a similar build. Where the amp is at? to instal the Zen Nav
The amp is attached to the oem sub enclosure. The A2B plugs in there.
And no way I’d ever use the tiny oem speaker wire. I like overkill…I run 12 gauge to my front stage and 8 gauge to the sub.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Did you use the wire
Did you use the wire from the factory speakers? Im installing a similar build. Where the amp is at? to instal the Zen Nav
om the factory speakers? Im installing a similar build. Where the amp is at? to instal the Zen Nav
im not sure about the factory wire but I can find out, the amps are in the spare tire compartment

Attachments

hughes18

Reactions
Do you have the premium system? If yes you can't remove the amp due to the Can Bus. Pretty sure you would need a NavTV Zen A2B interface and plug it into the factory radio. There are many options and compact sub amps like the Audio Control ACM1.300, it gives you 300 watts rms @ 2ohms and oy measures 9-1/2"W x 1-13/16"H x 3-9/16"D, problem with the existing location is you may not have enough air space the subwoofer would require. Look into a shallow mounted sub like the JL Audio 10TW series, they only need .5 a cubic foot of airspace to sound good. Good luck!!!
Hi guys,
I'm at a desperate point right now, haven't been able to install the zen unit and any local shop has experience. From reading your comments, I can see you have experience using it.
1. I have it connected and working(can lo to white/green, can hi to blue/green.
2. My SYNC 3 doesn't detect any audio if I don't connect back the factory can Hi and Lo to the amp. Doesn't even let me choose the audio menu.
3. Haven't been able to get any signal from the zen unit.
4. Can I have both factory amp and zen unit connected?

I'm on a explorer 2021 ST with B&O, with zen unit updated yesterday.

hughes18

Reactions
The amp is attached to the oem sub enclosure. The A2B plugs in there.
And no way I’d ever use the tiny oem speaker wire. I like overkill…I run 12 gauge to my front stage and 8 gauge to the sub.
I guess that's why I'm having so many issues, I was plugging on the opposite side of the sub enclosure. Do you have a picture of where did you plug your a2b?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I guess that's why I'm having so many issues, I was plugging on the opposite side of the sub enclosure. Do you have a picture of where did you plug your a2b?
You completely remove the factory unit from the equation. The Zen takes all of the plugs and you connect your amps from there.