Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Any Whipple Intercooler issues?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I've done a ton of research in this forum and haven't found much of anyone having any issues with their Whipple Intercooler install/upgrade, but am wondering if anyone has experienced any "daily driver" issues since upgrading to Whipple? Strongly considering upgrading mine, but curious if anyone wishes they waited or had not upgraded their intercooler at all. Thank you!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Zero issues

Reactions
^^ did you install yourself or shop do it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
No issues with mine, I did the install myself in the garage…. Pretty easy job, just a lot of screws to deal with.

Reactions
Zero issues. Install is just time consuming not difficult. On a side note, I guess to replace headlights you need to remove the whole front fascia. At least I know how to do that now :)

Tommy

F=MA

Reactions
Did it myself. Zero issues.

OP
LopezST
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Appreciate the replies and input. Looking forward to upgrading to Whipple Intercooler. Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I installed my own too, seemed to improve the gas mileage a little too. Maybe just one mpg but every little bit helps! Also a little piece of mind knowing that there's cooler air entering the engine. If you have a 2021 be prepared to drill out and replace the rivets at the bottom of the radiator support, but it's a good upgrade.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
None here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I followed FatGuyBuilds install on YT and I found it very helpful. Only thing I'd add, as some have already said, us sandwich bags and label them for all the bolts.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
I followed FatGuyBuilds install on YT and I found it very helpful. Only thing I'd add, as some have already said, us sandwich bags and label them for all the bolts.
I used his video as well and he has steps in his video that are not on the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My only issue is that I am still waiting for it to be delivered ! :)
I am having a shop install it b/c I am mechanically challenged; while the FGB video makes it look pretty straightforward (I sent it to the installer), once I get over like 10 bolts I get ADD and would most likely end up with 'extra parts' haha :unsure:

OP
LopezST
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
You are not alone...my ADD kicks in after 5 bolts...

Reactions
I have my whipple in my garage. Did you guys do the install immediately or wait to see if the truck showed the sickening transmission failure signs before upgrading?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I will be having mine installed ASAP after I get it; ordered over a month ago :cautious:

Since it has no moving parts and just reduces intake air temp, I present that it would be impossible to correlate a transmission issue with the aftermarket intercooler. for a warranty dispute. Just my thoughts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I will be having mine installed ASAP after I get it; ordered over a month ago :cautious:

Since it has no moving parts and just reduces intake air temp, I present that it would be impossible to correlate a transmission issue with the aftermarket intercooler. for a warranty dispute. Just my thoughts.
True, Ford would have to prove the intercooler (which it already has one) caused a transmission failure. The Whipple comes with a C.A.R.B EO number that only comes with extensive emissions and durability testing, I don't see that happening.

Reactions
I've done a ton of research in this forum and haven't found much of anyone having any issues with their Whipple Intercooler install/upgrade, but am wondering if anyone has experienced any "daily driver" issues since upgrading to Whipple? Strongly considering upgrading mine, but curious if anyone wishes they waited or had not upgraded their intercooler at all. Thank you!
Installed mine Sunday. No help, wheels up to wheels down 4.5 hours. Took my time to insure everything went back the way it came off. Do yourself a favor and remove the front tires. Follow the video and have fun. First impression is great seat of the pants improvement. Some other member nailed it when he said the acceleration is linear with no flat spots. Next stop ZFG!

Reactions
My only issue is that I am still waiting for it to be delivered ! :)
I am having a shop install it b/c I am mechanically challenged; while the FGB video makes it look pretty straightforward (I sent it to the installer), once I get over like 10 bolts I get ADD and would most likely end up with 'extra parts' haha :unsure:
What type of shop did the install as I am trying to find on in the Fort Myers area, also what was the cost of the install if you don't mind me asking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I sent you a PM...