Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Another Tune Question

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi All,
Has anyone here experienced an SSi Tune?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Absolute trash on any platform he tunes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I don't have any direct experience with him but I know a couple posters in another forum who have and said his tunes suck. One of them said he almost screwed up the engine in his V8 Ranger because it was running so lean! My advice is to follow the advice most people post here and go with ZFG. I did and I'm very happy!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Stick with somebody with good experience on the ecoboost and has a good reputation. I went with ZFG for that reason. Probably only a few I would trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the hits on this! ZFG was my top choice but I had to ask about SSi on a recommendation.

Moving onward, I previously have refrained from tuning because of the age old warranty issue. I've conceded to putting aside some cash for any possible drive train hiccups related to excess power. As long as any breakdowns aren't related to the tune, I can retain any warranty support.

I'm taking a chance with going with a dedicated tune as opposed to auto octane. I'm looking at a 93 tune and an E50.
Being that is a lot more HP than stock, I want to be aware of the ST's weak drive train areas. Has there been any reports of consistent common issues with running this level of tune on the ST? I'll always have at least 93 octane in the tank and won't dial in the E50 unless I am properly mixed. I'll also carry an octane additive for backup.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I have 91, 93 and E50 tunes from Adam. The 91 is for west coast road trips only. I’ll throw in the 93 tune of E85 availability is sketchy but it’s normally on the E50 tune and has been for north of 75K miles. Nothing has broken…at all.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Trans tuning does a lot to help from breaking things. ZFG does a great job there IMO. I’ve been running 93 for a year also with no issues.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I have 91, 93 and E50 tunes from Adam. The 91 is for west coast road trips only. I’ll throw in the 93 tune of E85 availability is sketchy but it’s normally on the E50 tune and has been for north of 75K miles. Nothing has broken…at all.
That's great to hear and thanks!
How often do you get on it in that E50 mode?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That's great to hear and thanks!
How often do you get on it in that E50 mode?
Multiple times a day…I didn’t build the car to baby it. It sees triple digits I’d bet at least 5 days a week.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Trans tuning does a lot to help from breaking things. ZFG does a great job there IMO. I’ve been running 93 for a year also with no issues.

Yes, I've heard about the trans tuning scheme from TMac. Good to know ZFG is on it and thanks for the report!

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Multiple times a day…I didn’t build the car to baby it. It sees triple digits I’d bet at least 5 days a week.
It helped to know your frequency. I'd be more or less a 0 - 80 sprinter from time to time. They'll be points where I'll run 60 - 120 but less frequent as I don't have as much open space as you.
So you keep an E50 mix in the tank at all times?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Unless I’m on a trip where I don’t want to be stuck hunting for E85, yes.

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Unless I’m on a trip where I don’t want to be stuck hunting for E85, yes.
Cool. I'll have to start nosing around all the stations to see who's carrying E85. Is it more expensive than 93 or the same?
I've glanced at the ethanol calculator for E50 and basically, it seems I'd be using a 50/50 mix of 93 and E85. Does that sound right?
Think it might be a challenge to know exactly how many gallons left in the tank when you try to figure at the pump. Don't think I'd solely depend on the gas gauge.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Get these 2 apps…one will tell you exactly how to blend the fuel, the other will tell you exactly where to find E85. IMG_2160.jpeg

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
The E85 Mix App is a good bet. The E85 station search app isn't doing me much good in my area. Even doing a google search on my computer didn't turn anything up. With the stations that were listed, not only did they not have flex fuel but didn't even know what it is! How can you work at a gas station and not know what E85 is and whether or not you have it? My search today turned out to be a joke.

I finally found one with flex fuel but when I got there, (30 min later) their pumps listed their flex fuel as 50-83%. I tried asking one of the attendants to narrow it down for me so I could make an informed entry into the calculator. He says, "I don't know, whatever percentage they bring in that day." (really?)

Definitely thinking twice about upgrading to an E50 tune. Even if I had an ethanol sensor, how can I know how much flex to put in if I don't know the percentage? SMH

Reactions
I only have the flex fuel 51-83% pumps here in Northern VA. I periodically test the ethanol content with a cheap tester and the places I go are currently on winter mix of e70. I’m only spiking my 93 to get ~e28 but going to an e50 tune soon.

Don’t expect an attendant to know the %. Ethanol test kit is the ideal way to go (I test every few fill ups but I do a 5 gal fuel jug to take home) but I just installed a sensor to make sure.

You don’t have to be right on the money also. Like ZFG’s e50 can be 40-60% which is a good amount of flexibility.

This is a handy spreadsheet of when to expect
% changes. There is going to be some variation but might be a good estimate.
https://svtperformance.com/attachments/attachment-jpg.1624334/

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #18
I only have the flex fuel 51-83% pumps here in Northern VA. I periodically test the ethanol content with a cheap tester and the places I go are currently on winter mix of e70. I’m only spiking my 93 to get ~e28 but going to an e50 tune soon.

Don’t expect an attendant to know the %. Ethanol test kit is the ideal way to go (I test every few fill ups but I do a 5 gal fuel jug to take home) but I just installed a sensor to make sure.

You don’t have to be right on the money also. Like ZFG’s e50 can be 40-60% which is a good amount of flexibility.

This is a handy spreadsheet of when to expect
% changes. There is going to be some variation but might be a good estimate.
https://svtperformance.com/attachments/attachment-jpg.1624334/
Thanks for the info!
What kind of test kit do you use? I know the mix doesn't have to be spot on but it would help to know what percentage you're adding. 51-83% is a big spread and you can't even get close if you don't know. I kinda asked the attendant out of desperation. :)
I know where there's E85 but it's a good 35 miles up the road. I might just have to resort to adding when I'm in that area.
Thanks for the spreadsheet! How am I reading those numbers, in percentages?

Reactions
I’m using a fuel-it test kit. https://fuel-it.com/products/ethanol-content-tester-vial-only

It is really compact but I ordered the vial only by accident when I was ordering my eth sensor. I got a syringe with aquarium tubing off eBay since I didn’t have the pipette. Get a vial that is small and etched numbers vs a plastic cover with the numbers.

For the spreadsheet, it is designed for E85 summer/mid/winter blends with winter being lowest E content (not necessarily flex-fuel but my tests have never shown less than e70).

The 51% min for flex has always thrown me a bit as the pumps here list it as 94 octane but that would have to be mixed with absolute crap and as I said above, I have never tested lower than 70 on the pumps I go to. ymmv.

This gives a quick definition for class 1,2,3 e85 but if it is a flex-fuel pump, manually test it to be on the safe side.

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/27/when-is-e85-not-85-percent-ethanol-when-its-e70-with-an-e85-st/

OP
Suprawill1
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
I’m using a fuel-it test kit. https://fuel-it.com/products/ethanol-content-tester-vial-only

It is really compact but I ordered the vial only by accident when I was ordering my eth sensor. I got a syringe with aquarium tubing off eBay since I didn’t have the pipette. Get a vial that is small and etched numbers vs a plastic cover with the numbers.

For the spreadsheet, it is designed for E85 summer/mid/winter blends with winter being lowest E content (not necessarily flex-fuel but my tests have never shown less than e70).

The 51% min for flex has always thrown me a bit as the pumps here list it as 94 octane but that would have to be mixed with absolute crap and as I said above, I have never tested lower than 70 on the pumps I go to. ymmv.

This gives a quick definition for class 1,2,3 e85 but if it is a flex-fuel pump, manually test it to be on the safe side.

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/27/when-is-e85-not-85-percent-ethanol-when-its-e70-with-an-e85-st/
Ok, thanks! Appreciate your effort!