Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Alignment/Steering Linkage Issue

Reactions
Just took the vehicle in to check out a misaligned steering wheel. Pulled slightly to the right when wheel was dead center. Did an alignment now it's pulling slightly to the left with wheel dead center. Trying to figure out if this is an alignment issue or steering linkage issue. Any thoughts?
IMG_3883.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How heavy are you? Is it possible driver weight can slightly skew the suspension such that it pulls slightly left? When I had a BMW, I've heard that the dealer performs alignments with a dummy weight in the driver's seat.

I have had multiple alignments over the past 4 1/2 years of ST ownership. I feel like it has always pulled slightly left--but not always noticeable and not enough for me to take it back...especially when the print out looks good.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
185lbs. At lower speeds the pull is not very noticeable at dead center. However, anything over 40mph, which is basically every road in FL is very noticeable and pulling me into the median or other lanes.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
If you are trying to forcefully hold the steering wheel at dead center it may just be that the steering wheel is off a tad. Also make sure the tire pressure is the same in the front tires and if you rotate your tires that you don't have a noticeable amount of more tread on one front tire than the other one.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Tire pressure is good around and newer tires so no issue there. Ford had me bring back in again this morning to fix the steering wheel issue. Drove it off the lot and the steering wheel was even more off center!! Taking it back in for a third time. Has to be a steering column/linkage issue. I should have pointed out initially on this thread that I had the transfer case replaced about a month ago, which requires the steering column along with its components to be removed. Now I'm thinking that has something to do with that. When I picked up the vehicle after the transfer case was replacement, I noticed slack in the steering wheel, which they "fixed." I didn't notice any steering wheel alignment issues at the time but it was so subtle that maybe I didn't notice.