Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Air Conditioning.

Piklhead

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST. Replacement for 2020 buyback.
I Recently purchased a 2020 Explorer ST with 23k miles on the odometer It replaced a 2008 Toyota 4Runner. Loved the 4Runner but thought it was time to get something with a few more options and safety features. I'm hoping to graduate from the Explorer ST University in the next couple of weeks. Every time I open a new menu, I find an option I wasn't aware of. The only thing so for I've found that the car doesn't have is automatic air fresheners when a bad smell occurs.

Anyway the subject of the post. Both the 4Runner and the ST have auto climate controls. On a 90° day I could set the 4Runner at 76° and within a minute or two you could feel a difference in the interior temperature of the vehicle. In the ST it takes 3-5 minutes and that is with controls set at max air.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I don't know if that is normal but I find i set the auto temp about 4 degrees colder than I have in my GM vehicles for the past 18 years. Once I figured that out it seems to works normally. Make sure you have it set for auto temp control when using remote start. Mine is usually pretty toasty after 5 minutes of idling.

hbalek

Reactions
I don't know if that is normal but I find i set the auto temp about 4 degrees colder than I have in my GM vehicles for the past 18 years. Once I figured that out it seems to works normally. Make sure you have it set for auto temp control when using remote start. Mine is usually pretty toasty after 5 minutes of idling.
I have mine at 71 in the summer and 69 in winter. I put the auto fan speed at 3 in warm weather and 1 in cold weather. Each time you hit the auto button there are up to 3 lights indicating fan speed.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not normal. Mine cools a lot faster than that on Max cool. MY2020 as well

OK ST

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
The fan speed is not "Auto" controlled. Dropping he temp setpoint does not increase fan speed, you have to choose between H-M-L fan speeds.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The fan speed is not "Auto" controlled. Dropping he temp setpoint does not increase fan speed, you have to choose between H-M-L fan speeds.
So it’s kind of auto. That is a stupid design imo. You should set the temp and the system should take care of it. Now that I know this I will be more observant to the hvac operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbalek

Reactions
On a cold or hot day the auto mode adjusts fan speed to heat or cool as fast as possible. But this vehicle, unlike older vehicles I've owned, has 3 auto settings with 1, 2 or 3 amber lights in the auto button corresponding to default fan speed preference. You'll definitely notice more fan noise in the 3 light auto mode. My personal preference is highest in the summer and lowest in the winter.

OP
P

Piklhead

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for all of the comments. I agree with Cruising 68. Fan speed independent of Temp control not the greatest idea. Fan speed should work in conjunction with the ambient temperature and the set Temperature. Larger the gap, more cold or warm air blowing. This is the first vehicle I've owned where the fan speed and Temperature control are not connected. Strange.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If the fan speed was completely automatic, there would be whinging about it not being adjustable! "It's too slow, it's too fast, Ford tried to save a buck, why can't it be adjustable?." It's not like pressing a button is that difficult....is it?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I agree some will complain either way. I'm just used to having auto do everything for the past 15 years. I also like how on my GM if the AC was on full blast and I got a phone call it would drop the fan speed.

But you are right, you can't please all the people all the time!

hbalek

Reactions
I agree some will complain either way. I'm just used to having auto do everything for the past 15 years. I also like how on my GM if the AC was on full blast and I got a phone call it would drop the fan speed.

But you are right, you can't please all the people all the time!
It does still do that on mine. I never change the fan speed. It's always on auto and temperature is always perfect. The fan adjusts to warm or cool the interior. It's just that the auto button has 3 lights indicating the default speed when the cabin has reached the desired temperature. Auto means auto temperature and fan speed. That has not changed. Just have more options in auto mode to have 3 different settings.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It does still do that on mine. I never change the fan speed. It's always on auto and temperature is always perfect. The fan adjusts to warm or cool the interior. It's just that the auto button has 3 lights indicating the default speed when the cabin has reached the desired temperature. Auto means auto temperature and fan speed. That has not changed. Just have more options in auto mode to have 3 different settings.
I guess that makes a little more sense for why they did it that way. So if I have the auto fan on one light and I start the car on a hot day does the AC run full blast?

Reactions
I guess that makes a little more sense for why they did it that way. So if I have the auto fan on one light and I start the car on a hot day does the AC run full blast?
The auto setting with 3 lights is the most aggressive and will ramp the fan speed up once it detects what it needs to do. It also uses recirculation on a hot day when on auto and I have always been told that's a no no since the recirculated air is likely hotter than the outside air.

hbalek

Reactions
It's whatever you prefer. I feel a little warm with Auto set to 71 in summer so I like 3 lights all the time. In winter I like 69 degrees and one light.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe that's why I need to set it colder than in my GM vehicles, I have it on one auto light. I'm going to have to play around with it. Thanks for the info

hbalek

Reactions
Maybe that's why I need to set it colder than in my GM vehicles, I have it on one auto light. I'm going to have to play around with it. Thanks for the info
I had a 2013 Lincoln MKZ which was colder AC than my 2020 ST so I would leave the temp a few degrees higher for AC and lower for heat. Every car I've owned with auto HVAC system is a little different as far as cooling power especially.

Last edited:
OP
P

Piklhead

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
I Recently purchased a 2020 Explorer ST with 23k miles on the odometer It replaced a 2008 Toyota 4Runner. Loved the 4Runner but thought it was time to get something with a few more options and safety features. I'm hoping to graduate from the Explorer ST University in the next couple of weeks. Every time I open a new menu, I find an option I wasn't aware of. The only thing so for I've found that the car doesn't have is automatic air fresheners when a bad smell occurs.

Anyway the subject of the post. Both the 4Runner and the ST have auto climate controls. On a 90° day I could set the 4Runner at 76° and within a minute or two you could feel a difference in the interior temperature of the vehicle. In the ST it takes 3-5 minutes and that is with controls set at max air.

Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE:
Ford bought back my 2020. Replaced it with 2021 with 9k miles. I've discovered the following. Do not use the auto setting. Set the temp between 74 and 76 degrees. On really hot days, hit the max air for a few minutes. Always use the recirculation setting. If you have rear air controls, make sure they're turned on. Within 10 to 20 minutes things will be nice and cool.

Psyko_323

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
UPDATE:
Ford bought back my 2020. Replaced it with 2021 with 9k miles. I've discovered the following. Do not use the auto setting. Set the temp between 74 and 76 degrees. On really hot days, hit the max air for a few minutes. Always use the recirculation setting. If you have rear air controls, make sure they're turned on. Within 10 to 20 minutes things will be nice and cool.
Why did they buy it back?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I realize that each vehicle can be different, situations are varied, etc. In both my Fords I loved using the Auto. My Acura was terrible at 'auto' and manual always worked better. I was hoping you were going to show me nice trick to keeping it cold on hot days.

Glad they fixed the problem for you though.This has been a warm summer. Good luck with the '21!

hbalek

Reactions
I realize that each vehicle can be different, situations are varied, etc. In both my Fords I loved using the Auto. My Acura was terrible at 'auto' and manual always worked better. I was hoping you were going to show me nice trick to keeping it cold on hot days.

Glad they fixed the problem for you though.This has been a warm summer. Good luck with the '21!
For four years mine has stayed in auto at 71 degrees during hot and humid D.C. summers and it's always nice and cool. In the winter I keep it at 69.