Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Exhaust

Reactions
Hey all. I just wanted to let everyone know that it looks like aFe will be releasing a true 2.5" catback exhaust for the STs and other Explorer's/ Aviators with the 3.0tts. They told me they're looking to hopefully release it around the beginning of the New Year, sometime in January. They finished the redesign this week and I just got it back today. Unfortunately, SoCal rush hour traffic did not help with freeway speeds, but from what I can tell so far, zero drone. They just dynoed it today and I'm waiting on an electronic copy so that I can share it with you guys. From what I can make out, this exhaust made max power gains of roughly 17hp and 3lbs of tq, but throughout the graph made highs of 20hp and approximately 23lbs of tq over stock at about 4,500. These numbers are all on a stock ST. They have removed the resonators and chose to use a suitcase utilizing an internal X pipe. If I can figure out how to attach videos, I will try and do a cold start this weekend. It definitely sounds much better than the previous system with the resonators. Feel free to hit me up if you're in the SoCal area if you want to check it out. Again, I do not work for aFe, nor am I paid by them. I'm just their local guinea pig who likes the company and their products.

Reactions
Interesting.
Does it include midpipes?

Got any pics??

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yes, it includes their mid (flex) pipes. I'll try and get some pics this weekend, but it's their prototype so the finishes aren't production quality. They (aFe) did professional recordings today of all aspects. I believe from the dyno, to interior sound levels and a drive by. Everything should be on their site within the next few weeks including the part number.

Reactions
Hey all. I just wanted to let everyone know that it looks like aFe will be releasing a true 2.5" catback exhaust for the STs and other Explorer's/ Aviators with the 3.0tts. They told me they're looking to hopefully release it around the beginning of the New Year, sometime in January. They finished the redesign this week and I just got it back today. Unfortunately, SoCal rush hour traffic did not help with freeway speeds, but from what I can tell so far, zero drone. They just dynoed it today and I'm waiting on an electronic copy so that I can share it with you guys. From what I can make out, this exhaust made max power gains of roughly 17hp and 3lbs of tq, but throughout the graph made highs of 20hp and approximately 23lbs of tq over stock at about 4,500. These numbers are all on a stock ST. They have removed the resonators and chose to use a suitcase utilizing an internal X pipe. If I can figure out how to attach videos, I will try and do a cold start this weekend. It definitely sounds much better than the previous system with the resonators. Feel free to hit me up if you're in the SoCal area if you want to check it out. Again, I do not work for aFe, nor am I paid by them. I'm just their local guinea pig who likes the company and their products.
So the whole system is just one internal x-pipe muffler? No additional bottle resonators or anything?

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
So the whole system is just one internal x-pipe muffler? No additional bottle resonators or anything?
If I'm reading this correctly, yes it is a single suitcase x-pipe muffler. It's an upgraded 2.5" system from the cats back with their own flex pipes. The original prototype had additional resonators at the back and the system was too quiet and was right at the edge of droning. With the change to no resonators, it sounds much better and no drone. They're supposed to be posting some videos soon.

Reactions
If I'm reading this correctly, yes it is a single suitcase x-pipe muffler. It's an upgraded 2.5" system from the cats back with their own flex pipes. The original prototype had additional resonators at the back and the system was too quiet and was right at the edge of droning. With the change to no resonators, it sounds much better and no drone. They're supposed to be posting some videos soon.
Coolness, I have their Vulcan system on my wife's Edge ST and we are pretty happy with it. It will be nice to have another true catback system available.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
It will be without the resonators though. I just took these 2 pics. That was the initial prototype with the resonators, but they are going without them now. 20211125_102327.jpg 20211125_102341.jpg

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Sound clips ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll see if I can get some going. Unfortunately I don't have a good setup because I'm solo. That being said, aFe is supposed to be posting some videos in the very near future.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I apologize that this has taken so long. Here is a cold start of the upcoming aFe exhaust for the ST's and other 3.0 tt's. View attachment 20211128_173400_1.mp4

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Here are some revs after the cold start. I'll try to get a couple videos on my way to aFe tomorrow before they remove it. View attachment 20211128_173510_1.mp4

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here are some revs after the cold start. I'll try to get a couple videos on my way to aFe tomorrow before they remove it. View attachment 8685

God, I'm sorry I clicked on that link. Not all of us have fiber! Especially since I could barely hear it.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
God, I'm sorry I clicked on that link. Not all of us have fiber! Especially since I could barely hear it.
I apologize. I suck with posting these things.

Reactions
Looks nice, but probably no real difference in performance despite their claims (the 2-1/2" Magnaflow kit is similar). Just as economical to go with an axle-back kit unless you are in need of new flex-pipes. Otherwise, decent sounding.

P.S. @Clears: You have that 3-bolt rear subframe - just be cautious of that if you start cranking up the mods!

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Looks nice, but probably no real difference in performance despite their claims (the 2-1/2" Magnaflow kit is similar). Just as economical to go with an axle-back kit unless you are in need of new flex-pipes. Otherwise, decent sounding.

P.S. @Clears: You have that 3-bolt rear subframe - just be cautious of that if you start cranking up the mods!
Yeah..... I know that I got screwed with the 3 bolt. It sucks, but hopefully Ford will make things right for all of us.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Reactions
Sounds great, thanks for sharing
Might be time to sell my mbrp

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk