Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Exhaust

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They’re claiming a good bit of power from this. Is this common with catback exhaust for these things? Seems like a lot for a catback…
You have a dyno taken in late June as a baseline, then one taken in November. It looks like a nicely designed exhaust, but that's hardly a back-to-back comparison. There's also (according to the chart) different SAE correction factors being applied. Do we even know that it was the same vehicle? I know they used a member here @Clears for initial work.

I'm not saying a well engineered exhaust may not be worth HP on a modified vehicle, but completely stock and tested months apart isn't a valid comparison.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Hey guys, I wanted to make it a little bit easier to hear aFe's upcoming exhaust.
Cold start:

https://youtube.com/shorts/nKYzZSCYdyk?feature=share

Revving:

https://youtube.com/shorts/Yi6bMcPJOHs?feature=share

Freeway speeds:

Thanks for all this info. I always like when someone finds a good company and just shares a positive experience. I've booked marked their website and will probably order this later in the year. I appreciate your capture of the drone noise. This is a daily driver and as I'm in sales, sometimes I have some longer trips, done in boring Eco mode. Interestingly an ST saw e on a local road the other day and zoomed past me with what I presume was a Borla exhaust. He was definitely enjoying it as he was smashing the gas at every stop sign and red light! it sounded pretty good, not too dissimilar to this one from what I could tell. I don't know what they claim the performance boost is though. 20HP seems like an awful lot to gain, but I'm not at all qualified to make that assessment! cheers and thanks again.

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
You have a dyno taken in late June as a baseline, then one taken in November. It looks like a nicely designed exhaust, but that's hardly a back-to-back comparison. There's also (according to the chart) different SAE correction factors being applied. Do we even know that it was the same vehicle? I know they used a member here @Clears for initial work.

I'm not saying a well engineered exhaust may not be worth HP on a modified vehicle, but completely stock and tested months apart isn't a valid comparison.
That’s kinda where I’m at with it. Not a very good comparison when you’re talking a major difference in ambient temperature. I’m sure you may see a couple
Ponies of the dyno, not that you’d feel it in the seat. Their claim is so seemingly ridiculous that it makes me not want to buy the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s kinda where I’m at with it. Not a very good comparison when you’re talking a major difference in ambient temperature. I’m sure you may see a couple
Ponies of the dyno, not that you’d feel it in the seat. Their claim is so seemingly ridiculous that it makes me not want to buy the product.
I'm not so sure I'd jump to the conclusion that the product is bad, just that the dyno results are suspect. One thing that I would expect to see on a completely stock turbo vehicle that is equipped with a higher flowing exhaust despite anything else would be a quicker spool up demonstrating better flow after the turbine. For AFe's dyno chart, this does seem to be the case. Although, once again, it's not possible to trust those charts. But, I'd say it looks like a pretty nice product for those interested in sound.

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I'm not so sure I'd jump to the conclusion that the product is bad, just that the dyno results are suspect. One thing that I would expect to see on a completely stock turbo vehicle that is equipped with a higher flowing exhaust despite anything else would be a quicker spool up demonstrating better flow after the turbine. For AFe's dyno chart, this does seem to be the case. Although, once again, it's not possible to trust those charts. But, I'd say it looks like a pretty nice product for those interested in sound.
Not saying it’s a bad product, but I don’t care for that much embellishment. I agree that spool time would be quicker will less restrictions, I think I change of down pipes would yield the biggest return on that

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
I totally understand everyone's skepticism. All dynos and tests for aFe's CAI and exhaust were done using my vehicle (stock except for turbosmart 50/50 bov and jlt catch can). Their other products such as their scorcher tuner was used on a different ST. All I can say from dealing with everyone over at AFe, is that they have been very stand up people. They share all info with me during the process. I have been very happy with each product and working with them during the process. I will say that I can definitely feel a difference each time they have put either the CAI (installed) or exhaust on my car and then taken them off. I would be very curious if they can dyno the ST with both the CAI and the exhaust for a combined gain.

El_steveo

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I totally understand everyone's skepticism. All dynos and tests for aFe's CAI and exhaust were done using my vehicle (stock except for turbosmart 50/50 bov and jlt catch can). Their other products such as their scorcher tuner was used on a different ST. All I can say from dealing with everyone over at AFe, is that they have been very stand up people. They share all info with me during the process. I have been very happy with each product and working with them during the process. I will say that I can definitely feel a difference each time they have put either the CAI (installed) or exhaust on my car and then taken them off. I would be very curious if they can dyno the ST with both the CAI and the exhaust for a combined gain.
I was (and still am) and interested in their intake. I do want to see independent dyno numbers though. Not calling bull$hit necessarily, but just for independent testings sake

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
I was (and still am) and interested in their intake. I do want to see independent dyno numbers though. Not calling bull$hit necessarily, but just for independent testings sake

Oh absolutely. As I've said in previous posts. I don't work for them. They've been using my Explorer as their test platform for both the intake and exhaust. I am personally happy with what I've seen from them and will continue to support them. Although I agree that using the original baseline from when they initially dynoed my ST has different variables, I think it's still a pretty close representation. And yes, you will definitely get more out of downpipes than doing a catback. Unfortunately in messed up states like California, doing downpipes isn't necessarily an option for all of us.

Reactions
On a trivial note, just from a glance, it doesn’t appear that the rear air deflector will be compatible with those tail pipes. With the Magnaflow kit, one pipe touches, but both here look to turn in too tight behind the differential. May not be a big deal for some, but the big empty space probably looks odd to plenty of us. Otherwise, looks like a nice kit.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
On a trivial note, just from a glance, it doesn’t appear that the rear air deflector will be compatible with those tail pipes. With the Magnaflow kit, one pipe touches, but both here look to turn in too tight behind the differential. May not be a big deal for some, but the big empty space probably looks odd to plenty of us. Otherwise, looks like a nice kit.
Rear air deflector?? I'm not following ya.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
Huh......never had one of those, let alone ever even seen one. Interesting.

Reactions
Huh......never had one of those, let alone ever even seen one. Interesting.
Has been a hot topic since the ST’s started rolling off the line. It’s one of several parts that have been randomly and arbitrarily left off the vehicles. It looks like more than one exhaust kit out there isn’t going to fit with the deflector, but it’s not like they are must-have items.

Glad to have gone simple with an axle-back kit anyway…

7FE679E1-73BD-4ED8-88A1-CA0E327CACD8.jpeg

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
Has been a hot topic since the ST’s started rolling off the line. It’s one of several parts that have been randomly and arbitrarily left off the vehicles. It looks like more than one exhaust kit out there isn’t going to fit with the deflector, but it’s not like they are must-have items.

Glad to have gone simple with an axle-back kit anyway…

View attachment 9389
Well, I never had one, so I'm not too worried about the exhaust not working with a deflector I never had.

Simple?? Bro.... that's the last thing you should say about your exhaust, that it was simple. A full catback system would have been the simple route compared to what you went through. I guess I'm glad I'm going with the not simple aFe catback system then.

Reactions
Well, I never had one, so I'm not too worried about the exhaust not working with a deflector I never had.

Simple?? Bro.... that's the last thing you should say about your exhaust, that it was simple. A full catback system would have been the simple route compared to what you went through. I guess I'm glad I'm going with the not simple aFe catback system then.
Not a big deal, really. I got to check out the sound with and without the resonator and mufflers at different times, so it was a good experiment. In the end, the MRT H-pipe was just over $200 and the Gibson kit was less than $500, so it didn’t get out of control. Of course I won’t think about a little welding labor, but in the end, the sound came out perfect for my tastes and it will probably help out others with their choices, just like all the exhaust threads tend to do.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
Good morning all. The aFe 2.5" catback exhaust should be released very shortly. They just installed their production black tip system on my Explorer yesterday. I'll try and take some pics today and I'll also try and get some sound clips going so you can hear how it sounds with their intake. Hope everyone has a fantastic start to your February!

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
Here are a few 20220201_110317.jpg 20220201_110327.jpg 20220201_110310.jpg pics.

Reactions
I have to say I don't like the logo on the tip, But Some others may....Thanks for posting though

Reactions
are the tips welded? will this work on other 3L tt like the PIU?