Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Adding Sub Woofer

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey all.

looking to add some more low end to my 2022 ST. I have the 14 speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system, but just not finding it packing enough punch.

My local car audio centre is recommending this one. It fits in the cavity behind the third row. With installation, said should cost about $700 CAD.

Any thoughts on this? Will this be worth it?

Attachments

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hey all.

looking to add some more low end to my 2022 ST. I have the 14 speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system, but just not finding it packing enough punch.

My local car audio centre is recommending this one. It fits in the cavity behind the third row. With installation, said should cost about $700 CAD.

I added 2 twelve inch JL subs to my explorer and they pack a pretty hard punch. The one you listed might be good for space saving but then again I don't know how much of a punch you want, also we're you going to hook it up through the factory sub for the input?

OP
CroOkdcaSe
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
2 twelves would be awesome! You’re correct assuming I’m trying to save space. Family with two kids…

I’m not sure how exactly it would be hooked up. The tech mentioned it would have its own control knob. Ideally I would like it on its own line for ease of changing with wife/family in the vehicle.

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
2 twelves would be awesome! You’re correct assuming I’m trying to save space. Family with two kids…

I’m not sure how exactly it would be hooked up. The tech mentioned it would have its own control knob. Ideally I would like it on its own line for ease of changing with wife/family in the vehicle.
well how i did it was i went from the stock sub -> audiocontrol lc2i Pro (which the bass knob goes into) -> Amp -> Subs

The audiocontrol lc2i pro fixes alot of the issues that people have posted about on here with the bass volume changing when playing at a louder volume. Apparently there is a power draw limit on the stock sub? im not too sure. The tech that helped me with the factory wiring diagrams for the 14 speaker audio system said that it would eliminate alot of issues with the stock amp. He also metioned that the two mics for the audio system might also cause some issues but I havent read about anyone on here having too many issues yet.

As of right now Im running a JL Audio XD600/1v2 600 watt amp paired to two JL 12W0v3-4 12s. I want to step it up to a XD1000/1v2 1000 watt amp and make it really loud lol. If you want some pics let me know.

OP
CroOkdcaSe
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
The set up I’m looking for doesn’t need to be too wild. I used to have a bad ass system, but now, just want reliable bass that doesn’t have me questioning if I’m going to blow the sub (which I think I have with the stock one).

I’m probably going to bring my vehicles back to ford to replace the sub under warranty before moving forward.

you think the second 8” sub will be decent? Trying to determine if $700~ CAD is worth it or not.

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The set up I’m looking for doesn’t need to be too wild. I used to have a bad ass system, but now, just want reliable bass that doesn’t have me questioning if I’m going to blow the sub (which I think I have with the stock one).

I’m probably going to bring my vehicles back to ford to replace the sub under warranty before moving forward.

you think the second 8” sub will be decent? Trying to determine if $700~ CAD is worth it or not.
honestly, i would see if you can got at least 10 but if not i think it would do the job. Now $700 CAD seems like not a bad deal considering recent inflation. Dont forget thats a whole kit, not just the sub.

OP
CroOkdcaSe
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Totally. I do want to explore a couple more options. I agree a 10” would give some better range/punch than the 8”. Keeping it simple and sleek is a priority

I just started looking into this yesterday. I’m a big bass music fan, and really value my alone time driving around with good beats.

if you think of any other solutions, please let me know. I appreciate your replies!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you just want to fill ou the stock system, you dont need anything too crazy because the stock system sounds like crap even at moderate volume. That said, i think you are better off with something more than a powered 8" sub. I too would recommend the Audiocontrol LC2i with amp and sub. JL Audio makes a nice compact sub box with 10" woofer. The nice thing about separates is that you can alway swap the box/sub with something bigger in the future as Askarrel mentions. Much harder to do starting out with a small powered sub that thet probably will install a small gauge power and ground line to (because thats all thats needed).

I value space too and keep the electronics under the trunk lid, and have my JL Audio box sitting up top. Its not too much space, lost.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Hey all.

Hey all.

Hey all.

Hey all.

Hey all.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
why not just buy a JL Audio 8W3v3-4 for $300 or JL Audio 8W1v3-4 for $200 and install it yourself in the factory location with some sound dampening. Would be a huge upgrade from OEM sub that has a magnet the size of a quarter and may be just enough at a fraction of the price.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
well how i did it was i went from the stock sub -> audiocontrol lc2i Pro (which the bass knob goes into) -> Amp -> Subs

The audiocontrol lc2i pro fixes alot of the issues that people have posted about on here with the bass volume changing when playing at a louder volume. Apparently there is a power draw limit on the stock sub? im not too sure. The tech that helped me with the factory wiring diagrams for the 14 speaker audio system said that it would eliminate alot of issues with the stock amp. He also metioned that the two mics for the audio system might also cause some issues but I havent read about anyone on here having too many issues yet.

As of right now Im running a JL Audio XD600/1v2 600 watt amp paired to two JL 12W0v3-4 12s. I want to step it up to a XD1000/1v2 1000 watt amp and make it really loud lol. If you want some pics let me know.
Old post I know but that’s not how it works. You would need to double power for a 3db increase. Going from 600 to 1000 would hardly be noticeable.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
why not just buy a JL Audio 8W3v3-4 for $300 or JL Audio 8W1v3-4 for $200 and install it yourself in the factory location with some sound dampening. Would be a huge upgrade from OEM sub that has a magnet the size of a quarter and may be just enough at a fraction of the price.
The oem sub has a neo magnet…that’s why it’s small. Magnet size means nothing.
I’m not saying the oem sub is good because it’s not…but that’s a bad analogy you used.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
That is one thing I have noticed in my first week with the ST and putting almost 600 miles on her. The audio sucks. Granted, I have the 12-speaker (sans tech pack, I really did not want that fugly tall screen), but still there is no real definition in the sound from low to high.

I took would like to find some better speakers, hopefully utilizing the stock locations. Idk what I even have for a sub with the 12-speaker, and tbh I haven't had her long enough to even know where it is located ‍. But is the JL Audio 8W3v3-4 viking mentioned going to be a worthwhile upgrade to start? I figure I'm doing the sub first, then tweeters, and if I feel the need the mids. I'm not looking to rattle my lug nuts off (looking at you My ST Is Better haha. Damn dude! That's a hell of a box, I'd like to see your cap setup!)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That is one thing I have noticed in my first week with the ST and putting almost 600 miles on her. The audio sucks. Granted, I have the 12-speaker (sans tech pack, I really did not want that fugly tall screen), but still there is no real definition in the sound from low to high.

I took would like to find some better speakers, hopefully utilizing the stock locations. Idk what I even have for a sub with the 12-speaker, and tbh I haven't had her long enough to even know where it is located ‍. But is the JL Audio 8W3v3-4 viking mentioned going to be a worthwhile upgrade to start? I figure I'm doing the sub first, then tweeters, and if I feel the need the mids. I'm not looking to rattle my lug nuts off (looking at you My ST Is Better haha. Damn dude! That's a hell of a box, I'd like to see your cap setup!)
Your best bet if you want more bass but like your space is a custom enclosure with at least. 10 in the same location as the oem sub/enclosure. You can fit everything behind the side panel, LOC and amp included.
When and if you upgrade the rest look into replacing everything together, not just tweeters since that won’t make a difference at all.
Subs play…well…sub bass.
Midbass…especially upper midbass is where impact starts to come from.
Midranges are where the magic happens for vocals
Tweeters…that’s just the sizzle on top.
Replacing the speakers with a set get you drivers that “hopefully” are matched to one another and work well together. Note the cheaper stuff on the market doesn’t do this very well. But consider your future possible upgrades when you pick out a LOC…you want enough flexibility in that to add another amp for mids/highs later on because if you replace those you will definitely want an amp on them.
Good audio is a science…doing it wrong can put you into a worse sounding system than what comes in the car.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well said bro I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Your best bet if you want more bass but like your space is a custom enclosure with at least. 10 in the same location as the oem sub/enclosure. You can fit everything behind the side panel, LOC and amp included.
When and if you upgrade the rest look into replacing everything together, not just tweeters since that won’t make a difference at all.
Subs play…well…sub bass.
Midbass…especially upper midbass is where impact starts to come from.
Midranges are where the magic happens for vocals
Tweeters…that’s just the sizzle on top.
Replacing the speakers with a set get you drivers that “hopefully” are matched to one another and work well together. Note the cheaper stuff on the market doesn’t do this very well. But consider your future possible upgrades when you pick out a LOC…you want enough flexibility in that to add another amp for mids/highs later on because if you replace those you will definitely want an amp on them.
Good audio is a science…doing it wrong can put you into a worse sounding system than what comes in the car.
True that, thanks. Audio upgrades are low on my list of things I'd like to spend my money on, but it's always good to know what my options are. I'm putting this on the back-burner for now, but when it comes time I'll probably be budgeting 4-5k for a decent system, and do it all at the same time. Like you said, things can get very expensive very quickly with audio, and while my pockets are not short they're not $20k deep for audio upgrades haha.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST 2022
Curious where folks are purchasing their gear? Any good online sources besides the obvious Crutchfield/Amazon? Looking for everything from Sound Deadening to speakers.

AMineoST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I must be blind but where exactly is the factory amp in the 14 speaker 2022 explorers st? I'm having audio drops to my JL 12 at higher volume levels even using a lc2i and picking up off the factory sub wiring. and need to bypass with a zen or another audio module I am trying and will post later.

Thanks in advance.