Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Adding Additional Keys.

SkyPilot6

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
In the past I have added additional keys to my ford vehicles, without a trip to the dealership for programing. However these older Fords all had a traditional key. You could put the car in programing mode through a series of key turns with the original 2 keys then the new keys to add.

I found a video that shows a similar process on a Ford Edge with Smart keys, but wanted to confirm that this process works on the New Explorers before trying it myself. So has anyone added additional keys to their ST yet?

This is the video of adding Smart Keys to a Ford Edge.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
RTFM it should be in there.

OP
SkyPilot6

SkyPilot6

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
RTFM it should be in there.
I RTFM, and nope. 20+ pages about MyKey (which is not what I'm wanting to do) and nothing about adding keys expect for an on screen prompt and to visit an authorized dealer for replacement keys.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I wondered the same thing. There is definitely nothing in the manual other than telling you to see the dealer. Here is another direction page for the intelligent key that uses a different procedure. Other two keys just need to be in the car. Key in picture is older style so may be older procedure.

https://www.citrusford.com/parts/parts-tips/how-to-program-ford-key-fob/

Nabuei

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
In the past I have added additional keys to my ford vehicles, without a trip to the dealership for programing. However these older Fords all had a traditional key. You could put the car in programing mode through a series of key turns with the original 2 keys then the new keys to add.

I found a video that shows a similar process on a Ford Edge with Smart keys, but wanted to confirm that this process works on the New Explorers before trying it myself. So has anyone added additional keys to their ST yet?

This is the video of adding Smart Keys to a Ford Edge.

Just ordered a OEM key. Will try on 2022 explorer and report back.