Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

new guy question

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
we have a new 2023 st with now around 500 miles on it

one weird thing is engine noise from front on acceleration, no ping, no injector noise, just noise, no whistling ...its loud in all modes, only when pressing the go pedal to get up to speed, say from 20 to 60, i can live with it, but it seems way to loud compared to the rest of the car, once up to speed...its fairly quiet
i have the feng shut off as well, might turn it back on if it cancels the front noise

second weirdness is before engine is in the middle range on temp, if you press the go pedal from a stop sign to move or at 20 mph t go 25 in the neighborhood there is a weird noise that does not correlate to RPM, but it is engine throttle related, i first thought it was turbo spool, no whine, just spool up. since they are almost inside the car well, right up near the firewall
i have to stick my head under hood and see if i can pin point
does not do it in neutral with brake on so its related to moving somewhat

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
we have a new 2023 st with now around 500 miles on it

one weird thing is engine noise from front on acceleration, no ping, no injector noise, just noise, no whistling ...its loud in all modes, only when pressing the go pedal to get up to speed, say from 20 to 60, i can live with it, but it seems way to loud compared to the rest of the car, once up to speed...its fairly quiet
i have the feng shut off as well, might turn it back on if it cancels the front noise

second weirdness is before engine is in the middle range on temp, if you press the go pedal from a stop sign to move or at 20 mph t go 25 in the neighborhood there is a weird noise that does not correlate to RPM, but it is engine throttle related, i first thought it was turbo spool, no whine, just spool up. since they are almost inside the car well, right up near the firewall
i have to stick my head under hood and see if i can pin point
does not do it in neutral with brake on so its related to moving somewhat
It is hard for us to help without a video without a description of the sound.

OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
It is hard for us to help without a video without a description of the sound.
I tried squeezing under the hood as my wife drove..
Somethings just don't compress
I will try to capture something this weekend

OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
found it
the hood prop rod keeps popping off its perch and i guess our bumpy roads makes it jump back onto the air cleaner box and metal brackets

Last edited:
OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Yup been looking at a few
Not liking drilling 4 holes in hood,
Especially with all the factory holes abound
MRT offers drill less ones.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The MRT ones do require a bit of trimming of the plastic by the firewall/fender.

There is a post somewhere on this forum where a member went through this with the MRT and when it was said and done wished he'd have gone the Reline route.

I have not installed the MRT's but I have gone the RedLine direction and with a little paint to use on the drilled holes felt it was the better of the two setups.

OP
P

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
The MRT ones do require a bit of trimming of the plastic by the firewall/fender.

There is a post somewhere on this forum where a member went through this with the MRT and when it was said and done wished he'd have gone the Reline route.

I have not installed the MRT's but I have gone the RedLine direction and with a little paint to use on the drilled holes felt it was the better of the two setups.
Thanks
I watched both videos .recline uses strut bolt as attach . Vice trimming plastic to get to the fender bolt.
I had thought some shims...
I need to go look and sort a few items.
I may end up looking at it from an aircraft mechanic point of view..
Thanks all

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Go redline if aftermarket.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
found it
the hood prop rod keeps popping off its perch and i guess our bumpy roads makes it jump back onto the air cleaner box and metal brackets
Since reading this I checked my hood prop and it also pops out, so I noticed that if I just force it into place there is a slight amount of tension causing it to pop out over bumps. But if I slowly allow the hood prop to rotate as I lower it letting it slide easily in the mount, it pops into the plastic holder with no tension and remains in place over bumps. After years of using vice grips to hold up customers leaking hood struts I appreciate the mechanical rod that will never leak or wear out. So I'm glad Ford didn't put hydraulic hood struts on the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Since reading this I checked my hood prop and it also pops out, so I noticed that if I just force it into place there is a slight amount of tension causing it to pop out over bumps. But if I slowly allow the hood prop to rotate as I lower it letting it slide easily in the mount, it pops into the plastic holder with no tension and remains in place over bumps. After years of using vice grips to hold up customers leaking hood struts I appreciate the mechanical rod that will never leak or wear out. So I'm glad Ford didn't put hydraulic hood struts on the ST.
Agreed. Little things that make me like the car over a longer period of time. Plus mechanical rod saves weight ;-)