Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

360 Degree View Camera Alignment using FDRS

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
DA8F2D03-CC7E-4C71-8C61-4E3D50B6B5B8.jpeg
I have had this alignment issue for the past 3-4 years now, both in front and in back.

After having updated my IPMB firmware to the latest (have not done the rear camera hardware replacement yet), I wanted to use what's left of my 2 day FDRS license to try to calibrate my 360 degree camera view where the side cameras do not align properly to both the front and rear cameras when parking. Unfortunately, Forscan does not have the service procedure for this for our explorers whereas they do for some F150s. In FDRS, the camera calibration is found in Toolbox/Offline. They have IPMA - 360 Degree View Camera Alignment, IPMA Rear Parking Aid Camera Alignment, and IPMB - 360 Degree View Camera Alignment.

IMG_9177.jpeg

First I attempted to do the IPMA - 360 degree view camera alignment. This involves the car parked with ignition on / engine off. Unfortunately, if pre-conditions aren't met, the calibration will not complete which is exactly what happened to me. Next I attempted the IPMB - 360 degree view camera alignment. This involves the car in drive, ignition on, engine on. Once the center console camera button is activated, a graphic will appear on the console screen. You need to drive straight ahead and at slow speed. Data will be collected and when 100% is reached, you select continue in FDRS. It will allow you to turn around if you run out of space. I did this in an empty parking lot with clear parking lines. I am pleased to report that after this, the front AND rear cameras are now aligned with the sides in the 360 degree views. I decided to quit while I was ahead and did not re-try the IPMA alignment procedures.

IMG_9176.jpeg IMG_9175.jpeg

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
View attachment 21779
I have had this alignment issue for the past 3-4 years now, both in front and in back.

After having updated my IPMB firmware to the latest (have not done the rear camera hardware replacement yet), I wanted to use what's left of my 2 day FDRS license to try to calibrate my 360 degree camera view where the side cameras do not align properly to both the front and rear cameras when parking. Unfortunately, Forscan does not have the service procedure for this for our explorers whereas they do for some F150s. In FDRS, the camera calibration is found in Toolbox/Offline. They have IPMA - 360 Degree View Camera Alignment, IPMA Rear Parking Aid Camera Alignment, and IPMB - 360 Degree View Camera Alignment.

View attachment 21780

First I attempted to do the IPMA - 360 degree view camera alignment. This involves the car parked with ignition on / engine off. Unfortunately, if pre-conditions aren't met, the calibration will not complete which is exactly what happened to me. Next I attempted the IPMB - 360 degree view camera alignment. This involves the car in drive, ignition on, engine on. Once the center console camera button is activated, a graphic will appear on the console screen. You need to drive straight ahead and at slow speed. Data will be collected and when 100% is reached, you select continue in FDRS. It will allow you to turn around if you run out of space. I did this in an empty parking lot with clear parking lines. I am pleased to report that after this, the front AND rear cameras are now aligned with the sides in the 360 degree views. I decided to quit while I was ahead and did not re-try the IPMA alignment procedures.

View attachment 21781 View attachment 21782
I'm at the dealership now for the blue screen camera recall. Hopefully it's a permanent fix this time and they align mine which have also been off since the last recall 2 years ago.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I'm at the dealership now for the blue screen camera recall. Hopefully it's a permanent fix this time and they align mine which have also been off since the last recall 2 years ago.
I complained about the misalignment 3 years ago (along with other issues) to the dealer. At the time, they said they aligned it but it made zero difference. Now I know it was just lip service. Hopefully they fix both issues for you!

hbalek

Reactions
I complained about the misalignment 3 years ago (along with other issues) to the dealer. At the time, they said they aligned it but it made zero difference. Now I know it was just lip service. Hopefully they fix both issues for you!
They replaced the rear camera and wiring harness. The camera image on the new camera is a higher quality than the previous one and also looks way better than the other 3 cameras now. As for the alignment, it seems a bit off but better than before. I may mention it the next time I am there.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ford was wanting to fix the recall on mine when I brought it in for something else. Would've had it done but they were keeping the vehicle 2 more days than they promised and I needed it for work and the equipment that was in it. They didn't seem to care and I had to politely get in their face about it.
I've gotten the blue screen on the rear cam maybe twice since I purchased it 6 months ago but recently, it's happened a few times on the front camera.

My question is, how does the ST get the overhead view? From what I could see, it's not an iconic view, it actually sees the current surroundings from above.

hbalek

Reactions
Ford was wanting to fix the recall on mine when I brought it in for something else. Would've had it done but they were keeping the vehicle 2 more days than they promised and I needed it for work and the equipment that was in it. They didn't seem to care and I had to politely get in their face about it.
I've gotten the blue screen on the rear cam maybe twice since I purchased it 6 months ago but recently, it's happened a few times on the front camera.

My question is, how does the ST get the overhead view? From what I could see, it's not an iconic view, it actually sees the current surroundings from above.
The 360 is made up of the 4 camera images combined: rear, front and side mirror cameras. I took mine to Sheehy Ford a few weeks ago and they replaced the camera and wiring in about 2-3 hours. I made an appoiointment on their website. Their radio and camera tech is there between 10am-2pm Monday through Friday.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The 360 is made up of the 4 camera images combined: rear, front and side mirror cameras. I took mine to Sheehy Ford a few weeks ago and they replaced the camera and wiring in about 2-3 hours. I made an appoiointment on their website. Their radio and camera tech is there between 10am-2pm Monday through Friday.
Where abouts is this Sheehy dealership? Is that the one in Silver Spring? I had gone to Lindsay because it was the closer one.

hbalek

Reactions
Where abouts is this Sheehy dealership? Is that the one in Silver Spring? I had gone to Lindsay because it was the closer one.
I take it to Sheehy Gaithersburg, which is where I bought mine. I've never taken this vehicle to Lindsay. My previous 2 vehicles were Lincolns I had bought used and took them to Lindsay for repairs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I take it to Sheehy Gaithersburg, which is where I bought mine. I've never taken this vehicle to Lindsay. My previous 2 vehicles were Lincolns I had bought used and took them to Lindsay for repairs.
Ok, thanks!

Explorer ST Posts