Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

22S27 Recall Unintended Problem

SeaRay

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer AWD Limited Hybrid
The auto parking brake problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/49s4j6d9ecewfa7/AAB8vZa5N685XaLaDXdmdc_qa?dl=0

Hand Wash your Explorer Rinse The Wheels be sure to get the brakes wet. Towel dry, drive around block, park for several days.

After 4 visits to Ford I've been told they're unaware of this problem. They just tried ceramic pads, same problem. The rear pads rust to rotor.... as rotor turns they pop off.

TwolIter

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST 401A Street Package
I have 2 22 's w/401A & street packs...& they both do that after sitting for a few days, very annoying. I'm considering upgrading to drilled & slotted rotors and carbon fiber pads front & rear.
I hope that helps, if not at least they will look cool.

Reactions
I have 2 22 's w/401A & street packs...& they both do that after sitting for a few days, very annoying. I'm considering upgrading to drilled & slotted rotors and carbon fiber pads front & rear.
I hope that helps, if not at least they will look cool.
I have used the parking brake on my 2020 ST every time I park it and I have never had an issue.

OP
S

SeaRay

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer AWD Limited Hybrid
Thread Starter #4
I have used the parking brake on my 2020 ST every time I park it and I have never had an issue.
The dealer said they couldn't reproduce after 5 days in shop. Last I checked they use an automatic wash rack, No surprise they couldn't reproduce.

Drove home washed it and the next day it happened. Sent a video to dealer, went back they replaced pads per Ford picked it up drove home and washed again, same problem sent another video, dealer ordered ceramic pads, went back ceramic pads installed went home washed parked same thing.

It's not a every time I use PB issue It's a every time the wheels are washed and rinsed then parked overnight.

I always used the PB before the 22S27 recall as needed.... just as I use the setting for slippery road conditions when road is covered in snow.... Neither are needed when I park in my garage.

I suspect as more of the ST owners read this the numbers will grow, as did the BS fracture bolt recall. I have posted on the other Explorer site and no member has reported hearing the problem.

While one could argue the this isn't a safety issue you could also argue the recall 22s27 never addressed the actual true safety issue of drivetrain falling apart as you're driving down the highway.

Last August as I left dealer having BCM firmware downgrade I notice shifting patterns became erratic, like riding in truck with student driver leaning to drive a manual trans.

Numerous times to dealer with nothing found, finally they said the valves may be sticking and went through a process which opened and closed for several hours.

When looking 2021 Ford Brochure It says for the limited Hybrid has heavy-duty front and rear brake calipers, what exactly does heavy duty mean, is more pressure applied to the pads / rotors?

Attachments