Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

21 ST in the CLE

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
With the lower E.T. but a slower trap speed it tells me that there is more power there but the heavy 22's are slowing me down. I can't wait until late fall when I have mineshaft air and and I put my lighter 20's back on to see what it can do.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I found a 21 ST in atlas blue with no sunroof or roof rails. My 18 had the rails replaced under warranty 3 times and they still kept coming apart ... Besides, every SUV/CUV me and the wife have had in the last 20 years that had rails never got used. The sunroof I was adamant that I did not want it ...
Thanks for posting your build, I haven't modded any of my vehicles in years so I live vicarously through you. Lol

It's funny how the only two options you didn't want (sunroof/roof rails) are the only two options I wanted! For me, the roof "opens up" the interior of the vehicle, and as for the roof rails I found an immediate use for them as they are what I grab when standing on the door sill when washing the roof.

... When I got my covid money (the company I work for paid me $1500 to get the vax) ...
Interesting, as I wouldn't get the Chinese Wuhan jab for all the money in the world. haha

With the lower E.T. but a slower trap speed it tells me that there is more power there but the heavy 22's are slowing me down. I can't wait until late fall when I have mineshaft air and and I put my lighter 20's back on to see what it can do.
Exactly what I was thinking. Every instrumented road test I've seen of the ST are with the 21's, and I've thought that the 20's might be fractionally faster (a tenth?)

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #23
Maybe in late fall ill snag the bathroom scale and weigh the 20's before I put them back on and weigh the 22's after I take them off for winter storage.

The biggest factor in the different times I've gotten is the D/A. The lower the number in feet is better and I've made runs with a D/A below zero.

I'm thinking when I put the 20's back on, a below zero D/A and an E30 mix I might see sub 4.00 0-60 and hopefully a 1/4 time of 12.2-12.3

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That'd be great. I did an impromptu look at 20" wheels/tires vs. their identical brand 21" wheels/tires on Tire Rack and came up with about 6 lbs. per wheel/tire combo.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #25
I just looked at tire rack and the factory 20" tire lists at 34 lbs a tire and the 22's I put on are at 37 lbs per tire. I then took the scale out side and the factory 20's still mounted with sensors and center caps weigh in at 70.2 lbs per corner. I only weighed one just to get an idea.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #26
I just realized that by switching to an E30 mix I gained a full 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile and over 3 mph faster trap speed and almost 4 tenths faster 0-60

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I just looked at tire rack and the factory 20" tire lists at 34 lbs a tire and the 22's I put on are at 37 lbs per tire. I then took the scale out side and the factory 20's still mounted with sensors and center caps weigh in at 70.2 lbs per corner. I only weighed one just to get an idea.
Seems like the Tire Rack's weight numbers are spot on then. Thanks for checking.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I run the 5 star e50 tune with only other engine mods being SPD thermo 170, K&N panel filter and a Downpipe back Thermal 2.5 inch exhaust and I ran a 12.24 1/4.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #29
Not bad for just a tune and a colder t-stat. Get an intercooler, some downpipes, and a ZFG tune and you could be in the 11's

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Not bad for just a tune and a colder t-stat. Get an intercooler, some downpipes, and a ZFG tune and you could be in the 11's[/QU
Not bad for just a tune and a colder t-stat. Get an intercooler, some downpipes, and a ZFG tune and you could be in the 11's
I ordered the AFE cold air intake waiting for it to come in. I am trying to hit an 11.90 before I switch out tunes after the intake installed I'm going to have it recalibrated.
I am being told be everyone about the ZFG tunes, however after spending 400 for the device plus money for tunes I would like to get all I can out of it. The intercooler will be late this year. I spent a lot so far especially with the Steeda springs, strut tower and the rear sway bar. Expensive hobby, but worth it. I get compliments on the truck all the time.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... I get compliments on the truck all the time.
I checked FORD's website under "Trucks", ST was no where to be found.;)

Untitled.jpg

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #32
The explorer and the expy are the only SUV's in the ford lineup and have XLT, platinum, and king ranch trims just like the trucks do, so ford classifies them as trucks. The others like the edge and escape are CUV's and have an SE, SEL, and titanium trims like the fusion and focus did.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm fine with anyone calling their Exploder a truck but mine's a car. :rolleyes: Hey, you bought it, you can call it anything you want.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Are we really debating this? I don't care.
Are we really denying this? Everyone cares.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The explorer and the expy are the only SUV's in the ford lineup and have XLT, platinum, and king ranch trims just like the trucks do, so ford classifies them as trucks ...
I guess their Classifications Department forgot to tell their Sales Division, because the Explorer is sold as an SUV/Crossover.
The EPA/DOT also lists the Explorer as an SUV on the vehicles Window Sticker.

A truck, the Explorer is not.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #37
I agree, but that is what ford calls it. To me, a truck is a body on frame design, which the explorer has not had since 2010.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ford Engineer Marty Smets calls it a "vehicle."

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #39
Today we had a nice cool morning with low humidity so I thought I would try another run down my favorite mexican road. With a D/A of negative 262' it was a perfect day to try. With E30 in the tank and my heavy 22's still on I set a new personal best of 12.26@111.59 and a 0-60 of a 4.07
12.26 dragy.jpg 4.07 0-60 dragy.jpg

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #40
I'm thinking I might hit 12.oh's with my lighter 20's and a little cooler air. I wasn't expecting 12.26 today with my 22's still on and a 48 degree temp. I was hoping for high 12.30's low 12.40's, so when I put down a 12.26 I was shocked. One other thing, I launched at 2800, all my previous runs were at 2500.

Last edited: