Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2023 Kia Telluride X-Pro

Reactions
Kia just released a more off-road version of the Telluride, probably to compete with the Explorer Timberline.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What they really need is a performance version to compete with the ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
What they need is more production and dealers willing to work on a reasonable profit. :mad:

Lenny H

Reactions
What the really need is a RWD based SUV. Very difficult to have good dynamics with a transverse set up.

Reactions
What they need is more production and dealers willing to work on a reasonable profit. :mad:
Our local dealers were willing to do msrp on ordered models.

Unfortunately, 5k towing just didn't cut it. They're super nice inside though, leaps and bounds above the competition. The kia and Hyundai are like, as nice or nicer than the Lincoln equivalents. It's insane how nice they are. The Hyundai is honestly just under lexus nice. And if you haven't been in one of the Genesis SUVs, they're just... Honestly they're nicer than the Germans.

The biggest thing the Korean cars need is more power honestly.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The biggest thing the Korean cars need is more power honestly.
And go to a RWD based platform at least on the larger SUV's

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We really debated the Telluride to replace our 2015 Explorer Sport. Finally was able to test drive one and was very disappointed in the power. It felt very sluggish compared to the Explorer and it seemed that I was really pushing the engine as it went thru the motions. We ended up ordering the ST. The other big thing was the wait for a Telluride Prestige Nightfall. The local dealer in PA that sells at MSRP was quoting a 12-16 month wait.

Reactions
We really debated the Telluride to replace our 2015 Explorer Sport. Finally was able to test drive one and was very disappointed in the power. It felt very sluggish compared to the Explorer and it seemed that I was really pushing the engine as it went thru the motions. We ended up ordering the ST. The other big thing was the wait for a Telluride Prestige Nightfall. The local dealer in PA that sells at MSRP was quoting a 12-16 month wait.
Demand is. A itch, but yeah, they're down 100hp from the explorer sport. Kia needs the turbo 3.3 in the Telluride bad.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Demand is. A itch, but yeah, they're down 100hp from the explorer sport. Kia needs the turbo 3.3 in the Telluride bad.
It would have been my wife's car and she would have probably been fine with it. Hearing the Telluride engine strain itself would have driven me nuts when I drove it. The interior and 5 year warranty were very attractive on the Telluride though.

Darylalex78

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
What they really need is a performance version to compete with the ST.
It would be nice to put the Stinger motor in one. That would be a nice SUV.

Reactions
It would have been my wife's car and she would have probably been fine with it. Hearing the Telluride engine strain itself would have driven me nuts when I drove it. The interior and 5 year warranty were very attractive on the Telluride though.
I feel that. When we drove the explorer we tested a 2.3t first. We drove it, and rhen found out there was an st that the order was backed out on we could drive. I asked if she wanted to drive the v6 version and she said "nah, this one is plenty, I don't need more power". I'm still confused by that. More power is more better... Women make no sense.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Well, I had a Stinger GT AWD and it never had any "shattered" rear bolt issues so ... :rolleyes:

Reactions
Well, I had a Stinger GT AWD and it never had any "shattered" rear bolt issues so ... :rolleyes:
Hey me either with my Explorer! and no shade at you personally haha..

but its a still a Kia.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey me either with my Explorer! and no shade at you personally haha..

but its a still a Kia.
Maybe not with "your" Explorer but potentially throwing shade on a quarter million other Explorers. Lol

So it's still an Explorer problem.

Reactions
Maybe not with "your" Explorer but potentially throwing shade on a quarter million other Explorers. Lol

So it's still an Explorer problem.
and the multiple electrical issues with stinger, including the front sensor which gets faulty and stops forward collision warning from working (TSBs left and right for it), multiple multiple reports of fuel smell in the cabin due to leaking fuel lines, majority of them were recalled because of a heater hose clamp being installed wrong (and Ford plants have issues?)... theres probably more too but thats directly from my buddy at a Kia dealer.

Maybe all those problems are why they are dropping the Stinger in 22.. at least the Explorer lasted longer than 5 model years haha

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
and the multiple electrical issues with stinger, including the front sensor which gets faulty and stops forward collision warning from working (TSBs left and right for it), multiple multiple reports of fuel smell in the cabin due to leaking fuel lines, majority of them were recalled because of a heater hose clamp being installed wrong (and Ford plants have issues?)... theres probably more too but thats directly from my buddy at a Kia dealer.

Maybe all those problems are why they are dropping the Stinger in 22.. at least the Explorer lasted longer than 5 model years haha
Nope, my Stinger GT AWD only received one recall in the 3 years I owned it and it was for a fuse box wire. That's it.

And the items you mentioned (if accurate) do not involve the vehicle breaking down and being out of service for a considerable length of time as with the Explorer's rear bolt fracture issue. There's probably a preconceived notion for you bias against KIA's, but my Stinger buddies can't figure out why people like you have them.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
For me the Korean manufactures do not have the performance heritage that Ford has. As someone who has been interested in cars all my life, that heritage counts when making a choice.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
For me the *Koran (Korean) manufactures do not have the performance heritage that Ford has. As someone who has been interested in cars all my life, that heritage counts when making a choice.
I've been a Ford guy going way back, primarily Mustangs (light modding/racing).

But if a competing manufacturer engineers something that is fast, reliable and cost effective, they've got my attention. My Stinger GT AWD fulfilled all 3 of those requirements, so I purchased one and had 3 headache free years of operation.

FORD still runs in my blood though.:)

NL JP scan0001b.jpg

Fotor0102892130a.jpg

S7300557a.jpg

2.jpg

Sting 5-3-19aa.jpg

Last edited: