Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2023 Explorer St JB4 install problem.

FreddyB

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Connecting JB4 Tuner. Where are the map sensors located? I found the one(4 wire connector) on the intake by the throttle body, but can't locate the other (3 wire connector ) map sensor to finish harness installation.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
@FreddyB i think the one you're referring to is on the outlet side of the intercooler right before the intake charge pipe.

OP
F

FreddyB

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
@FreddyB i think the one you're referring to is on the outlet side of the intercooler right before the intake charge pipe.
Exactly, thanks!!!

OP
F

FreddyB

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
any update on the install of the jb4? i was looking into one but decided to go custom tune instead.
I got it running on the 93 octane map. She runs much harder, especially with traction completely off and in sports mode. My wife drove it last night and scared the crap out of me.

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
Can anyone send pics on there setup to point out the clips that need to be used for the harness so I don't F* something up? I'm computer smart ... not mechanic smart.. so be gentle on the judgments. I'm seeking this groups expertise and guidance.

Based off the research I've done I believe I need a V3 harness (2022 ford explorer xlt 2.3L) I just need to know where the clips are referred to in the summary. Searched on YouTube and the JB4 forum as well as here. Havet found an official installation guide and the install videos I've seen mention the mapping sensors and plug them up etc , but they're pretty quick and high level on that aspect assuming a person like me isn't needing more detail..lol

Anyway, pics of setup including an Ariel view of entire engine that shows more on location etc or if anyone knows a site or link to an install for 2022 ford explorer xlt 2.3 would be much appreciated!!!

OP
F

FreddyB

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
You need two V2 sensors. That would be option 3 on burgertuning.com.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Adding all this power with zero trans tuning is a recipe for a large repair bill. Makes no sense honestly.

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
I see 7 differnt white clips.. some have two wire some have 3 and one has 4. Again, i dont know which ones are needed for the jump connector on the actual harness. Although I'm pushing 40 years old I'm only 4 weeks in on the new hobby/ endeavor to learn as much as possible. Can someone please help me identify which clips to use? Based off of what I see.. "I think" I need the v3 harness for mine - which is one with 4 wire, one with 3.

Frustrating. Going to drink my Sunday titos Vodka and juice now.....

Attachments

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
Adding all this power with zero trans tuning is a recipe for a large repair bill. Makes no sense honestly.
I appreciate your feedback/honesty.. As I continue to research the possibilities I haven't read anything that truly fact checks or signs off on what you're saying. Surely there has to be some benefits to any mod as long as you're being cautious and/or getting expert assistance. Of course I am no expert by any means, but that just seems illogical to me. I am however open minded and willing to read and educate myself if you have something for me.

As I understand it It boils down to piggy back versus flash and each have their pros and cons. Since I am a complete newbie I'm going with a safe easy way to increase the power on my 2.3 "ecoboost" aka daddy mobile. I bought and a K&N open air intake and looking to get a tune, custom mufflers that make it at least sound better. As mentioned I'm 40 with kids and unless I go valved I don't want too much drone, and of course an upgraded audio system bc this shit is pathetic to listen to.

So in short, please by all means I'm open for convo and willing to hear you out if you have a distinctive list on why its not beneficial. Sure the Maps are canned but for a newbie like me I it sounds like a great place to start.

After the several days/nights and long hours of reading this is the source i used for my decision.
https://tuningpro.co/best-ford-mustang-2-3l-ecoboost-bolt-on-performance-mods/

Appreciate the feedback Unbroken..

I'm also still looking to get schooled on the map sensor locations for the harness if anyone is willing to share.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I don't think it's a matter of someone being willing to share. I think it's more a matter that most of us don't have a 2.3 Boost under the hood to take a picture of. That should be expected on an ST forum that began life before the EcoBoost ST-Line showed up. No doubt there will be more discussion on the 2.3 Boosts as more of these end up in owners' hands.

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
Thanks for the reoly Gearhead. Yes, most folks on the board are ST owners. But we are all still Ford Explorer owners, and the sensors are probably in the same location.

I appreciate the feedback

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I appreciate your feedback/honesty.. As I continue to research the possibilities I haven't read anything that truly fact checks or signs off on what you're saying. Surely there has to be some benefits to any mod as long as you're being cautious and/or getting expert assistance. Of course I am no expert by any means, but that just seems illogical to me. I am however open minded and willing to read and educate myself if you have something for me.

As I understand it It boils down to piggy back versus flash and each have their pros and cons. Since I am a complete newbie I'm going with a safe easy way to increase the power on my 2.3 "ecoboost" aka daddy mobile. I bought and a K&N open air intake and looking to get a tune, custom mufflers that make it at least sound better. As mentioned I'm 40 with kids and unless I go valved I don't want too much drone, and of course an upgraded audio system bc this shit is pathetic to listen to.

So in short, please by all means I'm open for convo and willing to hear you out if you have a distinctive list on why its not beneficial. Sure the Maps are canned but for a newbie like me I it sounds like a great place to start.

After the several days/nights and long hours of reading this is the source i used for my decision.
https://tuningpro.co/best-ford-mustang-2-3l-ecoboost-bolt-on-performance-mods/

Appreciate the feedback Unbroken..

I'm also still looking to get schooled on the map sensor locations for the harness if anyone is willing to share.
It’s just a simple reality…no piggyback module can tune the transmission to make it safe for the additional power. It’s just not possible. And adding power without a trans tune is a recipe for failure with the 10R60.
I took the JB4 off my GTI/DSG because of the same thing.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for the reoly Gearhead. Yes, most folks on the board are ST owners. But we are all still Ford Explorer owners, and the sensors are probably in the same location.

I appreciate the feedback
The sensors on the ST’s 3.0 and the sensors on your completely different 2.3 and most certainly not in the same place.

OP
F

FreddyB

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I see 7 differnt white clips.. some have two wire some have 3 and one has 4. Again, i dont know which ones are needed for the jump connector on the actual harness. Although I'm pushing 40 years old I'm only 4 weeks in on the new hobby/ endeavor to learn as much as possible. Can someone please help me identify which clips to use? Based off of what I see.. "I think" I need the v3 harness for mine - which is one with 4 wire, one with 3.

Frustrating. Going to drink my Sunday titos Vodka and juice now.....
I have the 2023, I definitely needed 2 V2 connectors. They are 4 wire, both. One goes on top next to the throttle body and the other is on the drivers side in the front at the bottom near the intercooler

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think those of you who are doing the "JB4" thing, haven't bothered doing any real research, nor reading any posts. There are only two reasons someone would do this on an ST (which has all kinds of tuners at various price points). It's because if you have a problem you want to do away with any evidence that you bothered screwing with the sensors, or you're ignorant- note I didn't say "stupid", just ignorant. So educate yourselves.

Start here

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just to add to this- the 3.0 ecoboost does not measure airflow with a MAF. It is a speed density system. Meaning that it uses temperature and boost pressure to approximate airflow. A piggy-back system changes the sensor output so the engine sees less boost pressure. With the speed-density system, this means the PCM sees less mass airflow. That affects both the timing, and the A/F ratios. Not a good idea for engine longevity.

However, the Ford PCM is way more sophisticated than 20+ year old turbo vehicles. So, it will end up using both the EGT and O2 sensors to see that the mixture is lean. So what does it do? It has short and long-term correction maps to make up for sensor variations. In the end, it will decide that the boost sensor is reading "low", and correct for the discrepancy.

After some time of driving, that piggy-back you bought will do exactly nothing. Until you do a reset. And then, once again, you're at the mercy of the EGT, O2, and knock sensors to keep you from getting in trouble. And that is why the purveyors of those systems usually eke out minor gains. They know what they're doing can lead to problems.

And if you followed the link I posted, some of you might be thinking "Sheesh, he was a bit hard on the guy". Maybe so, but when someone tells me over and over "it could have", "it can", then I say to them. How? Where is the harness for the O2 sensors, the EGT sensors, the wastegate control? Answer- it doesn't have them. For @Mr.Clark- the "tuning" article you sent is simply an advertisement for a couple of different products. I'm sure you didn't realize this.

Mr.Clark

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer EcoBoost
Thanks for sharing the old thread it was a good read - it also shed some light on a few things about you as a person really.

I'm not a hard-core street racer know it all, in fact I don't really know much about what's under the hood except a few basics.

I came here to hopefully be educated or pointed in the right direction.

Dude.. we're seriously talking performance enhancements it's not politics so calm down boy.

Most people that are internet tough guys are just lame folk with a small penis.. "attempting" to win some pissing match.

After reading most of your posts its clear you argue and cry a lot

I'm sure your people skills do wonders out into the real world

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s almost inevitable on forums that the people that admittedly know little get their feelings hurt by the people that actually know a thing or two because the facts don’t align with what they want to hear…then they resort to insults or other childish crap.
If you don’t want to listen to the folks trying to help you out…I say good luck.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I can understand why people would want the JB4...something you can remove without a trace. But it is quite the inferior product compared to even a canned tune. It's not cheap, especially with the bluetooth mobile connector. At least with my BMW, I was also running flashed trans tuning but even still, the power delivery was peaky and the ghost codes drove me insane. At the time, the only way to unlock your ECU was to send it in (to enable Flash tunes)--they have since found a way to DIY. No way would I recommend JB4 to anyone on any platform.

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts