Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer ST Performance upgrades

mhanback

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Curious of your opinions.

What is the best after market exhaust for this truck (quality, performance, sound and price). The 170 S52053CF
MBRP Explorer ST Pro Series Cat-back Exhaust, the Borla, Corsa or Thermal R&D? Not looking for it to sound annoying. The Borla seems to be a better fit in the rear muffler area then the MBRP but aside from that I'm just not sure? All sound similar and good.

The upgrade plan is: the exhaust, a Whipple Mega Cooler Explorer 3.0L ST Stage 1 Package (2020-2022), Steeda front/rear springs, Steeda rear sway bar and the UPR catch can, a UPR clean side separator and blow off value.

Thank you for your opinion, experiences.

Mitch

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
I opted to go with the Thermal R&D with midpipes for exhaust (https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...xplorer-st-cat-back-exhaust-2020-freeshipping) and really like it. Though as you'll read in other posts, exhaust is purely a vanity upgrade for the love of the sound. I don't think anyone has been able to show any performance gains from exhaust alone since the stock system flows as well as it does.

UPR seems to have a great product. I also opted to go this route, though an waiting to find time to modify the mounting bracket, based on a relocation @UNBROKEN pioneered, and will have the whole setup powder coated Aztec Blue to match the FenFab parts.

As for the blow off valve, the 2022 doesn't come with one. Ford is using some voodoo magic instead. There are a few threads where @TMac explains it if you're interested. From what I understand, there are also no performance gains to be had from a BOV either. Just the joy of getting the pffff/whoosh. FenFab does have a charge pipe where you have the option of adding one of three BOVs. I opted for option with the TurboSmart RacePort, which is included in the price. Under normal/conservative driving it's pretty quiet. It's got a vice whoosh when you get off of wide open throttle. I haven't gotten to the tune and am not sure how much, if any, effect that will have.

Personally I would stear clear of the Whipple Stage 1 package and either do the Whipple IC by itself or look into the Mishimkto IC which will be released soon. Some say they're better than the Whipple, but I have nothing of value to contribute. I went with the Whipple IC and a ZFG tune.

Just my opinions based on what people smarter than me have done. :geek:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have the MBRP on mine and its nice. Not to loud but you can tell its there.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I opted to go with the Thermal R&D with midpipes for exhaust (https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...xplorer-st-cat-back-exhaust-2020-freeshipping) and really like it. Though as you'll read in other posts, exhaust is purely a vanity upgrade for the love of the sound. I don't think anyone has been able to show any performance gains from exhaust alone since the stock system flows as well as it does.

UPR seems to have a great product. I also opted to go this route, though an waiting to find time to modify the mounting bracket, based on a relocation @UNBROKEN pioneered, and will have the whole setup powder coated Aztec Blue to match the FenFab parts.

As for the blow off valve, the 2022 doesn't come with one. Ford is using some voodoo magic instead. There are a few threads where @TMac explains it if you're interested. From what I understand, there are also no performance gains to be had from a BOV either. Just the joy of getting the pffff/whoosh. FenFab does have a charge pipe where you have the option of adding one of three BOVs. I opted for option with the TurboSmart RacePort, which is included in the price. Under normal/conservative driving it's pretty quiet. It's got a vice whoosh when you get off of wide open throttle. I haven't gotten to the tune and am not sure how much, if any, effect that will have.

Personally I would stear clear of the Whipple Stage 1 package and either do the Whipple IC by itself or look into the Mishimkto IC which will be released soon. Some say they're better than the Whipple, but I have nothing of value to contribute. I went with the Whipple IC and a ZFG tune.

Just my opinions based on what people smarter than me have done. :geek:[/