Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Explorer St - 400A or 401A

Reactions
Hello all,

I have been searching and reading a lot of posts here for quite some time. I finally registered and after much consideration, I ordered a 2022 St in Atlas Blue on February 14th - no updates yet. Still in the unscheduled - clean category. I ordered the 401A package, tech, and all the goodies. However, looking back, I may be able to do without the 401A package. My sticker was around 58K I believe. If I took off the 401A package, my sticker would be around 53K. Although, I still want the upgraded wheels and brakes with the St performance pack. It seems like there is a lot of confusion regarding what is what within the two packages, even from Ford. Can someone please give me first-hand knowledge of if you got the 400A package, did you regret it? Are the radio and speakers that bad? The suede inserts decent? I mean, I just sold my 2018 Explorer Sport that the only option I had, was a moonroof - I loved that car! So, in regards to having all the bells and whistles, it doesn't mean that much to me. With the 400A, I am still getting heated front seats and other "standard" attributes that most mid-level cars have, correct? I don't really need a huge 10" screen, adaptive cruise control, and all the other amenities that the 401A offers. I am more in love with the performance engine than all the amenities. However, I just don't want to regret it down the road. I usually keep my vehicles for a very long time. The only reason I sold my 2018 Sport, was due to a job change at a competitor and didn't want to ruffle any feathers...so to speak. Thanks all for any suggestions and opinions in advance.

Brian

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No rhyme or reason why some get delayed and others don't. I ordered loaded 12/28 and took delivery first week of March.

Good luck. My vehicles are generally on the more loaded side so I understand your dilemma.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Hello all,

I have been searching and reading a lot of posts here for quite some time. I finally registered and after much consideration, I ordered a 2022 St in Atlas Blue on February 14th - no updates yet. Still in the unscheduled - clean category. I ordered the 401A package, tech, and all the goodies. However, looking back, I may be able to do without the 401A package. My sticker was around 58K I believe. If I took off the 401A package, my sticker would be around 53K. Although, I still want the upgraded wheels and brakes with the St performance pack. It seems like there is a lot of confusion regarding what is what within the two packages, even from Ford. Can someone please give me first-hand knowledge of if you got the 400A package, did you regret it? Are the radio and speakers that bad? The suede inserts decent? I mean, I just sold my 2018 Explorer Sport that the only option I had, was a moonroof - I loved that car! So, in regards to having all the bells and whistles, it doesn't mean that much to me. With the 400A, I am still getting heated front seats and other "standard" attributes that most mid-level cars have, correct? I don't really need a huge 10" screen, adaptive cruise control, and all the other amenities that the 401A offers. I am more in love with the performance engine than all the amenities. However, I just don't want to regret it down the road. I usually keep my vehicles for a very long time. The only reason I sold my 2018 Sport, was due to a job change at a competitor and didn't want to ruffle any feathers...so to speak. Thanks all for any suggestions and opinions in advance.

Brian
I can't tell you which options you'll use or appreciate. The only comment I'd make is that if you plan to have it for a "very long time" as stated, think about amortizing the additional costs into that period of time. It will look much less expensive that way. It may be easier to sell when the time comes and it might be worth more money at that point too. Best of luck.

Reactions
To me, 401A is a must. I'd skip the tech package, the 10m1 inch screen is ugly and poorly integrated, massaging seats are nice but not a must have to me, and the extra 2 speakers in the b&o system make it still underwhelming.

I doubt you'll get your car any faster for a 400a over a 401a.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
ordered mine 2/19 , 401a with tech and street pack ,in my case, when doing the math the difference in monthly wasnt gonna break the bank, ive always settled when buying cars, so for once i didnt want to have any regrets down the line. i believe 400a comes with a 6 speaker system that is out of the xlt. i havent recieved word back yet either, i called my dealer on thurseday and they said the longest part on the ordering process was waiting to get a build date, but once the build date arrived it would only be about 3 weeks.

Reactions
ordered mine 2/19 , 401a with tech and street pack ,in my case, when doing the math the difference in monthly wasnt gonna break the bank, ive always settled when buying cars, so for once i didnt want to have any regrets down the line. i believe 400a comes with a 6 speaker system that is out of the xlt. i havent recieved word back yet either, i called my dealer on thurseday and they said the longest part on the ordering process was waiting to get a build date, but once the build date arrived it would only be about 3 weeks.
Hate to break it to you, but your dealer is full of shit. Ordered 11/20. Fully loaded minus moon roof. Got build date 1/21. Went into production 3/1. Still sitting “in production”.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Hate to break it to you, but your dealer is full of shit. Ordered 11/20. Fully loaded minus moon roof. Got build date 1/21. Went into production 3/1. Still sitting “in production”.
damn, really? crap i was unaware of the extended lead times on orders. looks like ill be rockin my tacoma for alittle while longer than expected.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don't fret, mine was 12/28 order loaded, delivered 3/5.

OP
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Hey everyone. Thanks for the information. Yeah, I am still up in the air on everything. Looks like my car and many others, could take some time to arrive. That's okay with me. I am in no rush. I am starting to ponder placing another order, minus the sunroof and tech package. That's over 3K of savings, and like I heard a lot, the larger screen isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I am pretty much settled on the 401A package now...I talked to my dealer the other day...he told me if I wanted to place another order, to do it sooner than later. Looks like Ford is playing catch up on past orders...could be awhile, which is fine.

Thanks again to everyone for chiming in.

Best,

Brian

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I ordered the 400a with the street pack. The price came in around 53k shipped, which I thought was a great deal.
The sound system is ok, but not needed for me.
The suede inserts are a nice touch and look to hold up well.
The only thing I wish I had was the power tilt steering wheel and massage seats.

***Correction***

Attachments

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I didn't order mine, I found it on the lot. I have the 401A and the tech package, no sunroof, no roof rails, and the 20" wheels and mine stickered at 55,700

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hello all,

Brian
I'm pondering the same thing. I placed an order for a '22 ST in Iconic Silver with the 401A & roof rails.400A, Assist+, & Street Pack. The savings is nice, 400A vs 401A, but if I'm going to drive this for the next few years, will I miss a auto-dimming rearview mirror, Homelink, or a decent sound system? To me, those seem like they should be standard in all vehicles, so I hate having to pay a high premium for them. I'm hoping by keeping the build lean that we will get it sooner than the more heavily-optioned orders.

I'm sure we will be happy with a performance SUV without the all the extra$. If I wanted all of those, I probably should have ordered a Limited, but I can't stand the 2.3.

I hope that there are some 401A orders on here that happened on or around 3/10/22. We'll keep track and see whose is delivered first!

EDITED to change package

Last edited:

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I'm pondering the same thing. I placed an order for a '22 ST in Iconic Silver with the 400A, Assist+, & Street Pack. The savings is nice, 400A vs 401A, but if I'm going to drive this for the next few years, will I miss a auto-dimming rearview mirror, Homelink, or a decent sound system? To me, those seem like they should be standard in all vehicles, so I hate having to pay a high premium for them. I'm hoping by keeping the build lean that we will get it sooner than the more heavily-optioned orders.

I'm sure we will be happy with a performance SUV without the all the extra$. If I wanted all of those, I probably should have ordered a Limited, but I can't stand the 2.3.

I hope that there are some 401A orders on here that happened on or around 3/10/22. We'll keep track and see whose is delivered first!
The auto dimmed mirror is an easy one to fix, tint the windows. The sound system, well once you put a good exhaust and tune in it you'll want to listen to that instead. I hope that helped with 2 out of 4 requests.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Ordered mine 2/10/ 22, Pano., 401A, Tech., Agate Black. No word yet...

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Ordered mine 2/10/ 22, Pano., 401A, Tech., Agate Black. No word yet...
I must have gotten lucky.
I ordered mine in late September and had it in mid December.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Congrats. Hope you enjoy it.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome

Reactions
I ordered a fully loaded 2022 in October 2021 and it didn’t get deliver until March 2022, exactly five months later. 401A, 4WD, Duel Moonroof, Street Pack, High Package, Premium Tech Package, Captains chairs, basically everything you can get. MSRP was $58,525 and we got $2,750 off in rebates, for a total of $55,775 (no sales tax in Oregon.). Not bad for a fully loaded ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Very nice bigcat1185. Just like the one I have on order. You must be in the Portland area with a larger Dealer. I'm in Southern Oregon. I'm working on just 2 months from order date. So, we'll see how it goes...