Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST JDM

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer ST
i'm asking the explorer community of their experience with JDM engineering tuning and performance packages. i am seriously considering purchasing a stage 4 package. intercooler/cold air intake/down pipes/exhaust/and 93 tune.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum. Can't help on any referrals my ST is completely stock.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
i'm asking the explorer community of their experience with JDM engineering tuning and performance packages. i am seriously considering purchasing a stage 4 package. intercooler/cold air intake/down pipes/exhaust/and 93 tune.
Why do you want to go with JDM? ZFG is the only way to go and is far superior to any tune.

OP
V
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Why do you want to go with JDM? ZFG is the only way to go and is far superior to any tune.
i was reading that they had did multiple years of testing. secondly was that their packages,. zfg is changing turbos and injectors fuel pumps with a tune and JDM is adding as noted exhaust/intercooler/downpipes/intakes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
i was reading that they had did multiple years of testing. secondly was that their packages,. zfg is changing turbos and injectors fuel pumps with a tune and JDM is adding as noted exhaust/intercooler/downpipes/intakes.
What do you mean changing turbos and injectors fuel pumps with a tune?

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
OP
V
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Oh okay I see what you mean. Why do you want packages? Why not get the parts separately.
ive decided to purchase parts and then ZFGracing tuner/tune separately.
im ordering the following : FenFab hotside charge pipes and Fenfab charge pipe w/turbo smart BOV AFE red edition Cold Air Intake CVF intercooler and Catted Downpipes AWE Touring edition 3" catback exhaust
get the HPtuner and Tune from ZFGracing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
ive decided to purchase parts and then ZFGracing tuner/tune separately.
im ordering the following : FenFab hotside charge pipes and Fenfab charge pipe w/turbo smart BOV AFE red edition Cold Air Intake CVF intercooler and Catted Downpipes AWE Touring edition 3" catback exhaust
get the HPtuner and Tune from ZFGracing.
What year is your ST? That is a great list! You might want to consider suspension upgrades if you will be launching ever.

OP
V
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
What year is your ST? That is a great list! You might want to consider suspension upgrades if you will be launching ever.
2021 left off list AWR rear diff brace will also be installed

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
2021 left off list AWR rear diff brace will also be installed
Ok. Just wanted to confirm because 2021 was last year with a bov.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Oh okay I see what you mean. Why do you want packages? Why not get the parts separately.
You can totally source your own parts and purchase just the tune. I did that by purchasing my downpipes directly from CVF a couple months back and used a discount code.

When I was ready for the tune and intercooler, ZFG's stage 1 package was cheaper than purchasing the intercooler direct from CVF (including discount code) and then purchasing the RTD + credits from ZFG.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Jdm engine
Jdm is pretty good, the owner used his own vehicle to develop their tunes and has successfully run it on his st for 80k miles without any issues. They have been tuning fords for a long time and get some great numbers and performance on the raptors, and mustangs. I have an sct x4 that is unmarried with a jdm tune on it if you’re interested. I had the tune built for my set up of Cvf intercooler, Cvf downpipes, intake (S&b) , and thermal 3in catback.

OP
V
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Jdm engine

Jdm is pretty good, the owner used his own vehicle to develop their tunes and has successfully run it on his st for 80k miles without any issues. They have been tuning fords for a long time and get some great numbers and performance on the raptors, and mustangs. I have an sct x4 that is unmarried with a jdm tune on it if you’re interested. I had the tune built for my set up of Cvf intercooler, Cvf downpipes, intake (S&b) , and thermal 3in catback.
so why did u purchase that tune/tuner and not use it?
what cost are you looking to get for it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
so why did u purchase that tune/tuner and not use it?
what cost are you looking to get for it?
I did use it, I ran it for about 6 months. I got it before Cobb announced an accessport for the st. I recently picked up the accessport because it’s more user friendly to me, my other car is an Sti so I’m just used to the interface. Anyway I got the accessport for the st and a new tune for it. Although I will say the tune from jdm engineering felt faster. Cost wise you can have it for $120 shipped as it just sits around now.

Reactions
I did use it, I ran it for about 6 months. I got it before Cobb announced an accessport for the st. I recently picked up the accessport because it’s more user friendly to me, my other car is an Sti so I’m just used to the interface. Anyway I got the accessport for the st and a new tune for it. Although I will say the tune from jdm engineering felt faster. Cost wise you can have it for $120 shipped as it just sits around now.
Tune is specific to your vehicle and strategy number so you might as well just delete it off the device. Those x4's sell pretty easily for 250 give or take, so you might want to up your price a bit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I purchased the Stage 1 set up from ZFG which included the DMS tune and the CVF intercooler. Purchased the SPD 3" downpipes from them as well. They gave me a good deal buying everything from them. Got the Thermal 3" from Lethal Performance to complete it. You should definately look into the FenFab vertical mounts, toe links and subframe bushing support kit if you're going to be doing any kind of launching!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Do you
Tune is specific to your vehicle and strategy number so you might as well just delete it off the device. Those x4's sell pretty easily for 250 give or take, so you might want to up your price a bit.
know if the tuner can just change the vehicle id/ strategy number for a small fee? Also thank for the info on the X4 pricing.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Do you

know if the tuner can just change the vehicle id/ strategy number for a small fee? Also thank for the info on the X4 pricing.
No…the tuner will sell you a tune for your car though.

Reactions
Do you

No and even if that was possible, no tuner worth a darn would want to do that. They'd rather see logs so they can safely tune the vehicle.
Do you

What unbroken said....

Also, the x4 works on a lot of different ecoboosts, so you might want to join a general ecoboost group on facebook to sell it so you reach a wider audience. 250 plus shipping is a more than fair price for an x4.