Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 in “park” rolls downhill..

Golec

Reactions
Alright, so I have a fairly long driveway with a decent incline (maybe 15 degrees) going up to the main landing…i pull in and put it in park (on the incline) to check my mail. If it takes me any longer than like 30 seconds to get to the mailbox and back to the ST, it starts to roll downhill..it doesn’t completely lose park and roll down hill as it would in neutral, but it’s fast enough that I’m afraid it could roll into traffic if I get distracted for even the slightest amount of time..I just don’t understand why “park” holds for almost a perfect amount of time, every time, before it let’s go and starts rolling.

i know I could use the parking brake, but it’s still kind of ridiculous that this thing can’t hold itself in park. Is this something that’s common? Or should I take it in?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You already know the answer to this. Take that back to the dealer. It isn't normal.

Reactions
At any angle you should use your parking brake when you park your vehicle. Its not only easier on your transmission but its safer. I always use my park break so I could not tell you if this is a normal issue or not.15 degrees seems rather steep to rely on your transmission in park. I mean this is just my opinion, maybe there is an issue with your transmission in park. But I would think if your constantly parking it on an incline it would be the cause of the issue/damages.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you hear clicking when it was rolling? That would be the parking pawl. But then again I don't even know if they are using one or any other mechanical lock for park on the 10-speed. You would think they would have to.

OP
Golec

Golec

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
At any angle you should use your parking brake when you park your vehicle. Its not only easier on your transmission but its safer. I always use my park break so I could not tell you if this is a normal issue or not.15 degrees seems rather steep to rely on your transmission in park. I mean this is just my opinion, maybe there is an issue with your transmission in park. But I would think if your constantly parking it on an incline it would be the cause of the issue/damages.

99.5% of the time, it’s parked on flat ground. The only time it’s put in park is once every few days while I check my mail. I put in an appointment request at my dealer, so we will see what they say ‍♂️

OP
Golec

Golec

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Did you hear clicking when it was rolling? That would be the parking pawl. But then again I don't even know if they are using one or any other mechanical lock for park on the 10-speed. You would think they would have to.
No noise at all, it’s quiet. It’s smooth too, as if you had just enough of the brakes applied to keep it rolling slowly down hill..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No noise at all, it’s quiet. It’s smooth too, as if you had just enough of the brakes applied to keep it rolling slowly down hill..
Interesting..and a little scary IMO. While I agree with using the parking break on hills to reduce the strain on the trans, it should still hold the car. I wonder if they just lock clutches or something like that for the park mode instead of some type of mechanical lock. Now I'm even more curious.

Explorer ST Posts