Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Explorer ST Headlights

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
Got her back today. New headlight, the updated the software so the 360 camera is working correct now, and the brake pedal is a little quieter. Let's hope this is the end of the problems.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
As you guys know, I had issues at delivery with my driver side headlight. Also had the squishing sound from the brake pedal.

Yes, it was fixed, but it left a sour taste in my mouth with the dealership making me go back and forth many times and not supplying
a loaner car like my regular dealer did.

So yesterday, I took the ST to my regular dealer Gary Yeoman Ford in Daytona, Fl. They are so great there. And I traded it in. I pick up
the new vehicle tomorrow afternoon.

I decided to go for the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring. Hopefully it will be put together with much more care. I took a few photos yesterday at
the dealer before leaving. They are tinting my windows and getting all the paperwork together for a sign & drive tomorrow.

What do you think? I know it is not a performance SUV, but 496HP and 630lb ft is impressive. It felt quicker than the ST. It also has the Dynamic suspension that reads the road ahead.

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I think a loaded Aviator would be very nice to have. That said and I mean no offense but if I truly weren't happy with the Explorer I wouldn't turn around and buy the Aviator. Brothers from another Mother. They come from the same place so I don't think you can count on a much higher level of quality control. Many of the same bones with the possibility of even more electrical Gremlins. The extra HP/TQ would be nice.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Oh yeah, the sound system may be a real step up too. The Exploder's 14 speaker B&O sound system leaves much room for improvement and I like the orientation of the display in the Lincoln. I'd also have to imagine you get things like the front camera washer, jockey box, and console lights back. You'll have to let me know on that.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
Oh yeah, the sound system may be a real step up too. The Exploder's 14 speaker B&O sound system leaves much room for improvement and I like the orientation of the display in the Lincoln. I'd also have to imagine you get things like the front camera washer, jockey box, and console lights back. You'll have to let me know on that.
And you get 30 way seats, and a lot of nice leather. Plus the 2nd row has a console and A/C & heated seats. I liked the Explorer, but the interior was too plasticky. And the vertical screen wasn't too good with google car maps. All consoles have lights as does the glove box.

I also like that I will be able to go to work on pure ev power, so not wasting gas on the 2 mile jaunt everyday. I can save the gas when I want to enjoy the drive more. I saw one test get a 0-60 in the Grand Touring at 4.9, so it's a bit quicker than the ST. Handling felt similar...the ST is a little better, but the ride quality is miles ahead with the adaptive air suspension.

I will be picking it up tomorrow sometime, and will post better photos when I get a chance.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Sounds nice, enjoy it.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
And you get 30 way seats, and a lot of nice leather. Plus the 2nd row has a console and A/C & heated seats. I liked the Explorer, but the interior was too plasticky. And the vertical screen wasn't too good with google car maps. All consoles have lights as does the glove box.

I also like that I will be able to go to work on pure ev power, so not wasting gas on the 2 mile jaunt everyday. I can save the gas when I want to enjoy the drive more. I saw one test get a 0-60 in the Grand Touring at 4.9, so it's a bit quicker than the ST. Handling felt similar...the ST is a little better, but the ride quality is miles ahead with the adaptive air suspension.

I will be picking it up tomorrow sometime, and will post better photos when I get a chance.
Congrats! Is it a '22 or '21? The '20 I drove when I was deciding between an Aviator and an ST felt like the gas engine and electric motor were two separate entities who had no way of speaking to each other. It was horrible. Super jerkey and could never decide if it wanted to be hyper sensitive and overly powerful or unbearably sluggish. If this rig ends up being super sorted and drives seamlessly between powertrains I may need to go have another peek at em. Keep us posted!

Reactions
lol @ exploder haha

Reactions
I think a loaded Aviator would be very nice to have. That said and I mean no offense but if I truly weren't happy with the Explorer I wouldn't turn around and buy the Aviator. Brothers from another Mother. They come from the same place so I don't think you can count on a much higher level of quality control. Many of the same bones with the possibility of even more electrical Gremlins. The extra HP/TQ would be nice.
As you guys know, I had issues at delivery with my driver side headlight. Also had the squishing sound from the brake pedal.

Yes, it was fixed, but it left a sour taste in my mouth with the dealership making me go back and forth many times and not supplying
a loaner car like my regular dealer did.

So yesterday, I took the ST to my regular dealer Gary Yeoman Ford in Daytona, Fl. They are so great there. And I traded it in. I pick up
the new vehicle tomorrow afternoon.

I decided to go for the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring. Hopefully it will be put together with much more care. I took a few photos yesterday at
the dealer before leaving. They are tinting my windows and getting all the paperwork together for a sign & drive tomorrow.

What do you think? I know it is not a performance SUV, but 496HP and 630lb ft is impressive. It felt quicker than the ST. It also has the Dynamic suspension that reads the road ahead.
Wow I did not know this truck had so much TQ. It looks a lot nicer with better finishes all around but I do see so much similarity between the two.
Lincoln is the step up in terms of luxury for sure but as Exploder GearHead said, I tend to believe the bones of the truck could pose similar issues but hopefully not.
Beautiful truck brother congrats!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
lol @ exploder haha
I've called them this since back in the 90's when they earned, for lack of a better word, the nickname. I have to consciously think about not referring to them in this manner. I'd have to assume that since I own one people can't think I'm being too derogatory.

Reactions
I've called them this since back in the 90's when they earned, for lack of a better word, the nickname. I have to consciously think about not referring to them in this manner. I'd have to assume that since I own one people can't think I'm being too derogatory.
lol I hear ya. Funny name though. I doubt anyone here is taking it too seriously.
Imagine if someone at the Ford plant puts exploder on the hood instead of explorer haah.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Life’s too short not to be happy. Congratulations on the Avaitor!

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
We have owned five of them over the years. The 1998 we had was involved in the Firestone Wilderness tire recall. We wound up with Goodyear’s that were worse than the tires we had. Ford tire pressures on that Exploder were 28 lbs. front and back. People wouldn’t check tire pressures and they would overheat and blow. I always ran 32-36 psi and had no trouble.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Firestone was definitely partly responsible for that nickname but more importantly, it was vehicle owners that didn't maintain their tires along with a low recommended inflation pressure. Ford had some other issues with the Explorer over a relatively short period of time. One had to do with a cruise control short as I recall that caused more than a few of these to meltdown. At the time the name seemed fairly apropos. I was turning wrenches through some of this. The name just stuck with me.

Last edited:
OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #55
Congrats! Is it a '22 or '21? The '20 I drove when I was deciding between an Aviator and an ST felt like the gas engine and electric motor were two separate entities who had no way of speaking to each other. It was horrible. Super jerkey and could never decide if it wanted to be hyper sensitive and overly powerful or unbearably sluggish. If this rig ends up being super sorted and drives seamlessly between powertrains I may need to go have another peek at em. Keep us posted!
It is a 2021. I think they resolved that issue because it seems pretty seamless during engine/electric transition. And it seems quite a bit quicker than the ST I had. Check out a 2021

Also in answer to console and glove box lights...yes in both and even in the 2nd row middle console there is a light. I was also surprised to see that there is ambient light on the dashboard lighting up the engine turned aluminium. Pretty nice!

Attachments

Reactions
It is a 2021. I think they resolved that issue because it seems pretty seamless during engine/electric transition. And it seems quite a bit quicker than the ST I had. Check out a 2021

Also in answer to console and glove box lights...yes in both and even in the 2nd row middle console there is a light. I was also surprised to see that there is ambient light on the dashboard lighting up the engine turned aluminium. Pretty nice!
Aviator interior is nice wow.
Does it have real carbon fiber trim ?

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #57
No, the trim is real machine spun aluminum...or rosewood with this color. Looks like the old Bentley's in the 40s, or the Trans Ams of the 70s lol! It really is beautiful trim.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #58
Well she is home now. Can't believe the power in excite (sport) mode. Better than the ST off the line. And I am averaging 28 mpg so far. Aviator Driver Side.jpg Aviator Rear.jpg Aviator Dash.jpg

Reactions
Well she is home now. Can't believe the power in excite (sport) mode. Better than the ST off the line. And I am averaging 28 mpg so far. View attachment 7800
This horizontal screen orientation makes way more sense than what they did in the Explorer! Really wish they had done the same. I'm guessing like this the rear view camera is way more useful as well.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #60
This horizontal screen orientation makes way more sense than what they did in the Explorer! Really wish they had done the same. I'm guessing like this the rear view camera is way more useful as well.
And the rear view camera is so ultra clear, as is the front camera. I never understood why Ford didn't use the upper portion of the ST's screen for the backup camera, and the lower for the 360 view. Horizontal makes more sense. And when I use Car Play, the full screen is google earth maps.