Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Explorer ST Headlights

Reactions
I have noticed when driving at night that when I come to a stop, the headlights dip down. Then the dip back up when I start to drive again. Has anyone else noticed this or is it an issue with my car?

Reactions
As in the beam physically moves? I thought only the Platinum trim came with auto-adjusting headlights?

Reactions
As in the beam physically moves? I thought only the Platinum trim came with auto-adjusting headlights?
This is true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Those headlights only move right and left, not up and down. I wonder if the movement he is seeing if from braking to a stop and then accelerating from the stop. Both could cause the lights to move up and down due to movement of the front suspension.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
They actually move down towards the pavement, then move back up when I start moving again.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
They actually move down towards the pavement, then move back up when I start moving again.
Unless they’re physically not bolted in place that’s not possible.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
That is what they are doing!! And the headlamp assembly's are bolted in tight. I have an appointment on Wed to bring the car in

Reactions
video or it didnt happen

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Will try tonight. Maybe a good idea to show the dealer too

Reactions
Stupid question but could the auto high beans be on and when the vehicle slows to a stop the auto high beams turn off until you get back up to 25?

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
No, the auto high beams work. But this isn't what is happening. The lows dip when I come to a stop and rise when I move again. The highs are not coming on during this. I will try to video this tonight.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Here is a video I took this evening. And the Auto Hi Beam was off. This happens every time I come to a stop. This can't be normal

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I watched it a few times and you can see your hood dipping down as you brake. Then it comes back up as you take off. I really doubt it's the headlights. But I could be wrong.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Nope! I stopped very slowly, and the dip and the dip back up is not the vehicle. It is definitely the lights. I had a couple of more videos, but they were just too large to upload.

Reactions
Here is a video I took this evening. And the Auto Hi Beam was off. This happens every time I come to a stop. This can't be normal
I see what you are talking about and that's some really odd behavior... is there a wall that you could safely drive towards and do this? I think that would really show what is going on with the light even better. It's almost like the reflectors inside are moving down and then back up.

Reactions
Before i watched the video I thought it was just due to normal stopping and hard accelerating or something. After the video though, it does look like something is off. Something could be lose sliding a bit when coming to a stop and when accelerating.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow, so hopefully they can figure this out. I would try doing this towards a wall, but it is too unsafe. It's hard enough to hold the phone and steer...really don't want to be aiming towards a wall!! If I goof, then the headlights will really be off!! lol

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Weird. It does appear that they drop.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
I am glad this is not normal. At first I thought it was something to not blind other drivers when you were stopped behind them. But it is just to weird. As I mentioned, when I got home from the dealer the day I purchased the car, the driver's side headlamp didn't work. DRL and directionals worked, but not he low or high beam. Took them a week to get a headlight, and now this.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
So the dealer couldn't figure out the issue today and has to contact Ford. But after they ran diagnostics and I left, the car ran terrible. Had no power, wouldn't accelerate, just made the piped in noised. Had to go back...they finally disconnected the battery for 5 min, and everything ran fine again. Weird.