Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Explorer ST Headlights

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's obviously haunted. Poltergeists have taken over. Sell it immediately. The very fact that non-moving headlights move is proof of supernatural behavior.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Supernatural or Charmed....hmmmm tough choice!

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Just a thought I had tonight. Does the Platinum have blacked out headlamps? I know it is the only trim level with adaptive lights and was thinking they possibly put the wrong headlight on my drivers side when they replace the lamp. Just a thought. I couldn't tell from photos or the brochure

Reactions
Just a thought I had tonight. Does the Platinum have blacked out headlamps? I know it is the only trim level with adaptive lights and was thinking they possibly put the wrong headlight on my drivers side when they replace the lamp. Just a thought. I couldn't tell from photos or the brochure
Wouldn't make a difference. They only move left/right.

My first guess would be that the height adjustment mechanisms are missing or somehow disconnected. Nothing to hold the internal lenses from rotating up and down inside the headlight when force is applied (accelleration/decelleration).

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Reactions
Right here. Adjusts with a philips screwdriver. Do the headights move up and down when you spin it? Does it spin freely? Is it even there?

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #26
The screw is very tight. And the light won't move even by rock the car. It is always the same movement when coming to a stop. The dip happens just before coming to a full stop, and then dips back when I start moving. It is to consistent to be loose hardware.

Reactions
The screw is very tight. And the light won't move even by rock the car. It is always the same movement when coming to a stop. The dip happens just before coming to a full stop, and then dips back when I start moving. It is to consistent to be loose hardware.
They wouldn't move when you rock the car, it would need sufficient g force to make the lens slide on the rails in the headlight.

My adjustment screws are very easy to turn in either direction, with even a quarter turn results in a large adjustment in the headlights.

My money is on this still, that the adjustment mechanism is not attached to the lens inside the light.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
The adjustment works perfectly. It turns easy, and you can see the light adjust up and down. So, I don't think this is the issue. Even the 2 mechanics at the dealer were at a loss. They were sending the info to Ford to see if they had any suggestions.

Reactions
The adjustment works perfectly. It turns easy, and you can see the light adjust up and down. So, I don't think this is the issue. Even the 2 mechanics at the dealer were at a loss. They were sending the info to Ford to see if they had any suggestions.

Ah, shoot. When you said it was tight, I thought you meant it wouldn't move.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
When I got home with the new headlamp, I had to adjust that screw to make the lights even on the wall. So it works fine. Good try though...I appreciate your help

Zim

Reactions
Dude what the hell lol?

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #33
The dealer called and wants me to bring the car back again so they can physically check the part number. This would be the 4th visit, and frankly I am getting a little sick of this whole thing. It is 25 miles each way, and takes around 45 min plus almost a quarter tank of gas each trip.

This may be the reincarnation of Christine!!! Only in black this time!

Reactions
When I got home with the new headlamp, I had to adjust that screw to make the lights even on the wall. So it works fine. Good try though...I appreciate your help
So they replaced the headlight and it still did that?

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #35
Nope....they didn't know what the issue is. They just texted me that they want the car again so they can remove the headlight and check to see if it is the correct part. I told them they need to get me a loaner car this time

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #36
Car is back at Ford now. Along with the headlight and squishy brake pedal, the camera on the driver's mirror sometimes just shows blue in the 360 surround view

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Tell them to give you a loaner and you'll be back when everything is fixed.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
You were right Mobius87, when they took out the new headlight, the adjuster was broken inside. They have ordered a new light and I am stuck in a dirty 2020 Edge SEL

Reactions
You were right Mobius87, when they took out the new headlight, the adjuster was broken inside. They have ordered a new light and I am stuck in a dirty 2020 Edge SEL
Well, at least it's figured out.

OP
bill0754
Reactions
Thread Starter #40
I guess it was holding the adjustment for a bit, then slipping. They were adjusting the light and when they backed up, it dropped!! Go figure. Now let's see if they can figure out what makes the brake pedal make a squishing noise each time it is pressed.