Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Explorer ST Gauge Screen Flicker

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
I took a video with my phone to demonstrate it. The only way I could capture it was a slow motion video, but it was very obvious. Not sure what test they ran but I am getting my repaired at Paoli Ford in Pennsylvania. Outside Philadelphia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to see you're also getting yours replaced. I haven't been on here much and didn't see your last post asking which dealer I went to.

My replacement screen has been in the car for 6 months now through hot, warm and cold weather; no flickering.

Reactions
Glad to see you're also getting yours replaced. I haven't been on here much and didn't see your last post asking which dealer I went to.

My replacement screen has been in the car for 6 months now through hot, warm and cold weather; no flickering.
My dealer is going to replace my screen finally! I’m glad to hear that the people who’ve had theirs replaced fixed the issue. I’m just nervous about the dismantling of the dash. I hate that my new car has been “poked and prodded” so much.

Xeppy

Reactions
Hey all,

I am still having the same issue. I have escalated through both my service departments customer relations as well as Ford customer relations and I currently have someone from I believe tier 2 support trying to assist. It does not seem promising though because they keep referring to an initial visit for it where they compared it to other 2021s and claim that it is "normal" even though I have brought it in twice to one dealership and then had another dealership service department and they all agree that it does not look normal at all. I cannot get Ford to cover the work. Any ideas to get them to fix it? They keep saying they do not want to just throw parts at it even though I have told them there are multiple people with the same issues and a new dash has resolved the issue for them....

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Hey all,

I am still having the same issue. I have escalated through both my service departments customer relations as well as Ford customer relations and I currently have someone from I believe tier 2 support trying to assist. It does not seem promising though because they keep referring to an initial visit for it where they compared it to other 2021s and claim that it is "normal" even though I have brought it in twice to one dealership and then had another dealership service department and they all agree that it does not look normal at all. I cannot get Ford to cover the work. Any ideas to get them to fix it? They keep saying they do not want to just throw parts at it even though I have told them there are multiple people with the same issues and a new dash has resolved the issue for them....
I finally had my new instrument cluster installed last week. One week later, flickering again. Now dealer is claiming its normal. So it wasn't normal enough the first time as to go as far as to replace the screen. But when that didn't work, now it's normal. The tech is going to put a call into ford again and see what they say, I'm going to put a call into Ford Complaint Department. Nothing like a pandemic to really let quality fall off of the ford brand.

Xeppy

Reactions
I finally had my new instrument cluster installed last week. One week later, flickering again. Now dealer is claiming its normal. So it wasn't normal enough the first time as to go as far as to replace the screen. But when that didn't work, now it's normal. The tech is going to put a call into ford again and see what they say, I'm going to put a call into Ford Complaint Department. Nothing like a pandemic to really let quality fall off of the ford brand.
Hey,

They have strung me along for months now, I finally got them to repair it and it did not resolve the issue. The service manager told me it was still flickering even before I picked it up to check after they replaced it. I requested a buyback and just got the response today that they are claiming it as a "normal but undesirable behavior". Here are videos of my screen both before replacement and after replacement...

- Before dash replacement
- After dash replacement
- Just moments ago

I looked at my service records and I first brought it in for this issue just 10 days after purchase and with only 428 miles on the car. I am now getting a lawyer and they have lost a Ford customer for life. Very disappointing.

For any that find this thread in the future I highly advise against getting an Explorer with the digital gauge cluster and quite honestly recommend against getting a Ford product at all.

Reactions
I’ve been waiting on my replacement screen to come in for about two months now. I wonder if I should just cancel the replacement screen since it seems like it’s not fixing the issue?

Xeppy

Reactions
I’ve been waiting on my replacement screen to come in for about two months now. I wonder if I should just cancel the replacement screen since it seems like it’s not fixing the issue?
I would look at your states lemon laws and ensure you are doing everything you can now to fall within those rules. I would document everything and let them try to fix it as much as possible so that you have record of them not resolving the issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Interestingly enough I had my 2018 BMW X3 replaced on a Lemon law, it was in the shop for almost a month for a odd vibration that nobody could figure out. They however are a reputable company with great customer service. Ford, not so much. They claiming it’s normal now. I generally spend quite a bit of money on new cars with protection wraps, tint and performance modifications. BMW actually cut me a check to replace all the stuff I had done to apply for the new replace my vehicle. Can’t imagine Ford doing that if they decided a lemon law applied. Also, it’s been documented that it could be a grounding issue with other posts, problem is ford just doesn’t want to research their own issues.