Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Explorer ST Gauge Screen Flicker

Reactions
Has anyone noticed a slight flickering on the gauge cluster display screen? I notice it on the "Normal" driving mode screen and definitely notice it the most on the "Eco" driving mode screen. It is not noticeable at all on darker screens like the "Sport" driving mode screen.

For some reason, it is more apparent when I am not looking directly at the screen, but instead at the road or elsewhere. It seems when observing it through my peripheral vision, the flicker is more obvious. It is most noticeable during the day (when the auto brightness is on high) and the manual brightness setting it set to high. It is slightly less obvious if I set the brightness to low, but still noticeable.

It almost seems as if the screen refresh rate is set to a certain frequency that it is creating a flicker. I've noticed this in lower end displays on certain electronics and am disappointed to see that it is happening on my car's display.

Xeppy

Reactions
Hey, I have the same issue. It is beyond annoying and I notice it way more in my peripheral vision than when looking straight at it. As you said mine is way worse I'm eco mode but noticeable in normal mode as well.

I even took it to the dealer and thought it was weird but all the STs on the lot did it. They contacted Ford but they gave it back with no remedy and were still awaiting an update from Ford support.

I hope they find a way to fix it... It drives me crazy and it's unfortunate because I absolutely love everything else about the car.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Hey, I have the same issue. It is beyond annoying and I notice it way more in my peripheral vision than when looking straight at it. As you said mine is way worse I'm eco mode but noticeable in normal mode as well.

I even took it to the dealer and thought it was weird but all the STs on the lot did it. They contacted Ford but they gave it back with no remedy and were still awaiting an update from Ford support.

I hope they find a way to fix it... It drives me crazy and it's unfortunate because I absolutely love everything else about the car.
Well as long as it isn't just me, cause that's usually how any problem I have goes, lol. It's either just an issue with something I buy or its just me being too picky.

As you said, hopefully it can be fixed with an update. It's only certain times of the day I notice it most. If ambient light is lightly lower (cloudy, etc) but it isn't dark yet, then it is the most noticeable.

I'll bring it up with my dealer as well and make sure they escalate it to a level where it gets reported to Ford. Hopefully having enough people report it will help get something done about it.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #4

Do you ever notice at any point when your screen isn't flickering? Mine doesn't appear to be doing it anymore. I'm driving during the same time of day, closer to dusk with the AUTO lights still being off, so screen brightness is high. I tried both Normal and Eco mode screen, both with no flicker.... I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.

hbalek

Reactions
Do you ever notice at any point when your screen isn't flickering? Mine doesn't appear to be doing it anymore. I'm driving during the same time of day, closer to dusk with the AUTO lights still being off, so screen brightness is high. I tried both Normal and Eco mode screen, both with no flicker.... I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.
I've had more intermittent electronic glitches than I can remember in this vehicle from the beginning. Sometimes they recur regularly other times they disappear and never happens again.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I've had more intermittent electronic glitches than I can remember in this vehicle from the beginning. Sometimes they recur regularly other times they disappear and never happens again.
So my screen was noticeably flickering today as I was leaving work. I stopped over at the dealership on the way home and one of the service advisors took a look. He noticed it as well and is going to check the other STs and other Explorer's on the lot to see if they exabit the same behavior. If they don't, he seemed to think I'd be able to get a panel replacement without too much hassle. If the ones he checks also have a flicker, then it looks like it's just something that these car's do.

One thing to note though, is I believe when I posted yesterday about not noticing the flickering, I had my sun glasses on, and on the way home today I put them on to confirm, and sure enough the flickering is barely noticeable with the polarized lenses of my glasses. So if this is the case, perhaps putting a polarized film on the gauge cluster display could minimize the flickering?

Other than that, if it's possible to have the Sport Mode screen displayed permanently, that would also be an option for me, personally, as I prefer that screen over all the others, but don't necessarily always want to drive in sport mode.

Regardless of the outcome, I'll keep this thread updated with anything that happens in my case.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Mine is now at around the 400 mile mark. I’ve had several occurrences of starting the vehicle and the SYNC system is frozen. Radio playing but no controls are active either on the steering wheel or the screen.

I’ve had this happen a couple of times in the 15,000 miles I’ve put on my truck but it’s happened more in the time I’ve had this new vehicle. I cans simply restart and everything is fine but it annoys me.

I have a theory that it might be related to the USB drive thumb drive. I have some high end thumb drives that I plan on putting my music files on and giving it a try. This seemed to work on my truck, in fact the drive that is in now in my Explorer was in the truck when it had issues. We’ll see how it goes.

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
UPDATE:

Car was in today and had the screen replaced. It was sitting in the sun for a few hours before I picked it up and no flickering, but it's too early to be sure if it's 100% fixed.
I'll update again in a week.

Below I've attached the service documents with the dealer comments if anyone wants to reference them should they also choose to get their screen replaced.

Initial visit:
Second visit with work done:

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
1 week update:

Still no flickering. It's been a mixture of warm and hot days with plenty of sunlight. I think we're in the clear...

What is unclear though is if the part they put in my car is a revised part, therefore with a new part number, or if it's a unrevised part. It could just be that a batch of them is bad or the old revision is bad.

Regardless, if anyone gets theirs replaced, inquire about the part number and see if you can get the same one I received.

Popeye89

Reactions
I get it on my eco mode and it drives me up a dang wall

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
I have a brand new October ‘21 production and the screen flickers too. Super annoying in peripheral vision. So it would appear the screen glitch is not something that was fixed or altered in mid production like they did with the blowoff valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
I have a brand new October ‘21 production and the screen flickers too. Super annoying in peripheral vision. So it would appear the screen glitch is not something that was fixed or altered in mid production like they did with the blowoff valve.

I think it may be such a random thing that is isolated to only certain modules/screens that it may be impossible to narrow it down enough to start production on a revised part.

If you go to the dealer, you should have no problem getting them to replace it for you. If they question it, try and show them the documentation I have posted in this thread.
Good luck.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
So an update to something I may have found that also happens at the same time as the gauge flicker. I have also been having problem with Sirius XM Travel Plus loading. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn’t. Usually the xm radio still works though, but no traffic, fuel levels, weather, etc.
In looking at it further the two happen in together but at random, however it does seem to malfunction together. Perhaps there is a short in the radio that causes a voltage irregularity causing the other to malfunction as well.
Anyone else with a gauche flicker that can verify this is a possibility would be helpful.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
I think it may be such a random thing that is isolated to only certain modules/screens that it may be impossible to narrow it down enough to start production on a revised part.

If you go to the dealer, you should have no problem getting them to replace it for you. If they question it, try and show them the documentation I have posted in this thread.
Good luck.
Hey LiveTrash what dealership did you take yours to if you don’t mind me asking, any information I could pass on to my dealer may be helpful to expedite a quick fix.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So an update to something I may have found that also happens at the same time as the gauge flicker. I have also been having problem with Sirius XM Travel Plus loading. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn’t. Usually the xm radio still works though, but no traffic, fuel levels, weather, etc.
In looking at it further the two happen in together but at random, however it does seem to malfunction together. Perhaps there is a short in the radio that causes a voltage irregularity causing the other to malfunction as well.
Anyone else with a gauche flicker that can verify this is a possibility would be helpful.

Do you have the newest version of SYNC loaded? It should be version 21194. That might be the issue with Travel Link not working.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Yes, it has been better, but still have had issues.

Reactions
Well as long as it isn't just me, cause that's usually how any problem I have goes, lol. It's either just an issue with something I buy or its just me being too picky.

As you said, hopefully it can be fixed with an update. It's only certain times of the day I notice it most. If ambient light is lightly lower (cloudy, etc) but it isn't dark yet, then it is the most noticeable.

I'll bring it up with my dealer as well and make sure they escalate it to a level where it gets reported to Ford. Hopefully having enough people report it will help get something done about it.
I am also experiencing this issue. Exactly like everyone else has stated its noticeable mostly in ones peripheral vision and I've only really noticed it on cloudy/rainy days. Others have stated that they think its heat related, but its 30 degrees out now and still does it but its cloudy/rainy. I feel like its something to do with the auto brightness. I'd like to mention it to my dealer but I honestly don't think a new screen will fix it since most on the lots do the same.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
I am also experiencing this issue. Exactly like everyone else has stated its noticeable mostly in ones peripheral vision and I've only really noticed it on cloudy/rainy days. Others have stated that they think its heat related, but its 30 degrees out now and still does it but its cloudy/rainy. I feel like its something to do with the auto brightness. I'd like to mention it to my dealer but I honestly don't think a new screen will fix it since most on the lots do the same.
It’s the screen, it’s a common issue. I took a slow motion video of it and showed to the dealer so they could see it. They ran some tests today and confirmed it’s the screen. They outsource the screen so it doesn’t really cost ford anything so they are just fixing them. Good luck. I get mine in 2 weeks.

Reactions
It’s the screen, it’s a common issue. I took a slow motion video of it and showed to the dealer so they could see it. They ran some tests today and confirmed it’s the screen. They outsource the screen so it doesn’t really cost ford anything so they are just fixing them. Good luck. I get mine in 2 weeks.

Do you know which tests your dealer did? Preliminarily my dealer stated that they believe it is a normal condition but will be looking into it and checking for bulletins. I sent them a slo-mo video because I'm sure it will not flicker when they're looking at it.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
I took a video with my phone to demonstrate it. The only way I could capture it was a slow motion video, but it was very obvious. Not sure what test they ran but I am getting my repaired at Paoli Ford in Pennsylvania. Outside Philadelphia.