Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 ST Engine fire

2020STFIRE

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey Y’all so we had an engine fire in our 2020 ST with about 34k miles on it yesterday. Wife was stopped at a light and the engine shut off all of a sudden and smoke started coming from under the hood. Fortunately a couple people had fire extinguishers near her (I wasn’t with her at the time). Got it put out and thank god she was fine. Now begins my questions and looking for any help/information y’all might be able to provide.

We have had the flex pipes replaced on both sides of the engine. It was at our local ford dealer just two weeks ago for the driver side. We had the passenger side replaced last year under warranty along with a catalytic converter. Again on the passenger side. This was because of an exhaust leak we had.

The fire originated as a result of an electrical issue it looks like from the pictures. My thought is that the wiring harness was accidentally cut during one of the above repairs.

I’d love to see if anyone can provide input on our situation for the layout of the engine and if it is reasonable the flex pipe install could be a way the wiring was damaged. I circled the wiring which goes into the cab of the vehicle showing the damage and where the fire looks like it originated. This is all on the passenger side of the vehicle and it appears to be directly above the turbo on that side.

any thoughts comments questions are welcome!

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well that sucks! Not sure if it started in the harness or if it split open in the fire.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk