Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 Explorer/Aviator Module Updates by Ford

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
2020 Explorer/Aviator 20U29 Ford Tech Program

Affected Vehicles:
  • Explorer
  • Aviator
Model Year: 2020
Assembly Plant: Chicago
Production Dates:
  • Explorer: 5/13/2019-7/23/2020
  • Aviator: 7/1/2019-9/27/2020
Reason for Program: Some of the affected vehicles may not have the latest software calibrations that have been released to improve vehicle performance and customer satisfaction due to build timing.

Service Action: Dealers are to check only the following modules for the latest software needed, using Ford Diagnostic and Repair System (FDRS).

Cost: No cost to owner

Program End Date: 12/31/2021

SUMMARY
Essentially, Ford wasn’t paying their techs to make these updates. Techs are now able to bill for it, incentivizing Service depts to diagnose and push the updates required for these different modules causing issues for first year production Explorer and Aviators.

Source:

7E344CAC-604A-449E-9BE2-F159481E47C0.jpeg

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Anyone know how we could get a copy of this or will the dealer already know about this by name 20U29?

My Explorer is a very early build and I am looking forward to updating some of the systems to current versions. It is never good to be an early adopter but this really helps.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thank you for this.

First person to post the pdf of that bulletin gets a cookie.

Reactions
Interesting the Aviator gets the lift gate update and not the Explorer, there have been numerous reports on the lift gate of the Explorer doing what it wants when it wants including mine which got updated a few months ago.

Reactions
Hey Wayanbros if I ever meet you I'll owe you a beer! Truck in the shop...again, with a problem communicating with FordPass. Has been racking up frequent flyer miles on the shop lift for a week. Appears they finally figured it out. When they called to have me send some signals from my app everything worked and it appears they were communicating. Some
Thing to do with the modem. Then I hit them with your data.....radio silence. I threw the fsa and oasis thing and told them to look it up, "I'll wait". They did and I just about got the oh s--t comment. Apology accepted, said they would need to keep the truck a little longer. They must be going module by module because my phone lit up with FordPass fault codes, at least the truck and FordPass are communicating. Thank you for the timely input and post, proving again the members of this forum are the best!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
reposting for convenience -
Here is where to find the build date for Explorer on window sticker, below the MSRP -

Attachments

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
reposting for convenience -
Here is where to find the build date for Explorer on window sticker, below the MSRP -
Production dates are on the driver side factory door sticker too

Reactions
Talked to the service advisor today, this notice is for cars that haven’t been sold yet, so if they lookup your vehicle, it won’t show that it applies.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Talked to the service advisor today, this notice is for cars that haven’t been sold yet, so if they lookup your vehicle, it won’t show that it applies.
Yeah, it does say "update prior to sale". I'm going to hit up Ford's customer support number to see what they say. I do have odd issues with the APIM and shifting that might be solved with an update. I definitely want to get this done before warranty ends and I'm getting close, mileage wise.

Reactions
Made some changes in the "feel" of the shifts, appear firmer and quicker in normal mode, down shifts in sport more firm as well. My understanding was it had something to do with build date. It came out after I purchased the truck, so the fact it says "prior to sale" has no bearing since they didn't do it prior to sale in my case.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Service advisor at my dealership is adamant that i need to have a problem that this will address, otherwise they won't do it... doesn't matter if Ford is paying for it. Well that's disappointing. Hopefully others have better luck. Still planning to take her in...I think I can get the APIM and PCM flashed at least

OP
W
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Service advisor at my dealership is adamant that i need to have a problem that this will address, otherwise they won't do it... doesn't matter if Ford is paying for it. Well that's disappointing. Hopefully others have better luck. Still planning to take her in...I think I can get the APIM and PCM flashed at least
Reach out to another Ford Service Department. I have 4 within the 20 miles of my primary and I wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Like mwinn noted, if your car was delivered to you before the updates were even released, there’s no chance you got the updates. These modules are clearly not connected for over-the-air updates if this bulletin exists.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Reach out to another Ford Service Department. I have 4 within the 20 miles of my primary and I wouldn’t take no for an answer.

Like mwinn noted, if your car was delivered to you before the updates were even released, there’s no chance you got the updates. These modules are clearly not connected for over-the-air updates if this bulletin exists.
Thanks. I have an appointment scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I have a list of quirks listed on a sheet and some screenshots of the 20U29 update. Hopefully I'll have better luck in person. I also saved a log of the modules and their current versions using Forscan Lite (iOS) for comparison.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So just picked up vehicle from dealer and mostly good news to report. The dealer said they would not do any module updates they did not feel would address any problems but they updated APIM, BCM, IPMB, ABS, PCM, TCU, but not AWD, DSM, HCM. I wrote down complaints of Sync 3/GPS quirks, frequent deep sleep alerts, rough low gear shifting, 360 camera malalignment, and had recurring ABS code from IPMB module. I printed out screen shots of the 20U29 video but they didn't really acknowledge it. In addition to the module updates, they recalibrated my 360 camera and OK'd my free loaner (dealer policy is 4 hours min labor charge). Overall, I am happy.

Thanks Wayanbros for the original post. Just what I wanted to see in print.

Reactions
Happened to have my car in for service yesterday and thought I'd have them look into this update bulletin (my car was built in July, so possibly could be affected).

I tried to give the service advisor the bulletin number at drop off, but he wasn't interested (literally refused to take the number) and said he'd find it. Of course, when I spoke to him later he stated there was nothing applicable and that they just decided to do a 'master reset'. When I went in to pick it up, I finally was able to get him to search on it. He rattled off an addendum that pertained to an issue affecting Platinum trim cars updated as part of 20U29, and reminded me I have an ST. It wasn't worth pushing the issue with the guy, so all I got for my trouble was having to sit in the parking lot and reprogram/adjust just about all of my vehicle settings and re-connect to Ford Pass. And a janky drive home because the transmission learning was lost.

Oh well.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Happened to have my car in for service yesterday and thought I'd have them look into this update bulletin (my car was built in July, so possibly could be affected).

I tried to give the service advisor the bulletin number at drop off, but he wasn't interested (literally refused to take the number) and said he'd find it. Of course, when I spoke to him later he stated there was nothing applicable and that they just decided to do a 'master reset'. When I went in to pick it up, I finally was able to get him to search on it. He rattled off an addendum that pertained to an issue affecting Platinum trim cars updated as part of 20U29, and reminded me I have an ST. It wasn't worth pushing the issue with the guy, so all I got for my trouble was having to sit in the parking lot and reprogram/adjust just about all of my vehicle settings and re-connect to Ford Pass. And a janky drive home because the transmission learning was lost.

Oh well.
Damn frustrating. You almost need to come up with generic complaints affecting the modules to see if they will perform the updates.

That said, I found it odd that my phone and ford pass were unaffected if they did an APIM calibration update. I looked up my old Forscan module printout and I'll be damned, the calibration/strategy codes for the APIM were identical, ie. they didn't update that module. All the other modules showed changes. Because of this, I highly recommend you get Forscan and a suitable adapter and save the module information before you take the vehicle to the dealer.

Reactions
Damn frustrating. You almost need to come up with generic complaints affecting the modules to see if they will perform the updates.

That said, I found it odd that my phone and ford pass were unaffected if they did an APIM calibration update. I looked up my old Forscan module printout and I'll be damned, the calibration/strategy codes for the APIM were identical, ie. they didn't update that module. All the other modules showed changes. Because of this, I highly recommend you get Forscan and a suitable adapter and save the module information before you take the vehicle to the dealer.

I did actually mention a few legitimate complaints I had about the APIM and transmission performance - nothing catastrophic, but just general weirdness I've noted over the last few months. I'd hoped it would help motivate them to actually look into the updates.

And I do actually already have Forscan and a log of module info from about six weeks ago or so. I've kept current on Sync updates (the latest required a download from Ford and manually flashing it from a thumb drive, whereas previous versions were OTA/WiFi) - not sure if there is a deeper update/calibration that techs can perform though.

Reactions
I have the full document (20U29) printed, let me know if you still looking to get a copy. The dealer will NOT update anything based on this claim for free or bill ford, however, you can pay to get the updates unless you still have warranty. If you ST is under 36k miles warranty then you might get the updates for free. I tried all sort of ways to get them to update mine but in the end, I left fuming. Tried two closest dealerships and said the same thing.

Anyway, I’m gonna go for it and do the updates myself with FDRS. RISKKYY! But oh well.

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My current list needing updating. Any help with getting reasons to update would be appreciated. 61B54CD1-2221-43D7-9938-3C87224612C9.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
My current list needing updating. Any help with getting reasons to update would be appreciated.
How did you find out all of those modules have updates? Is that through dealership software?