Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

20" All Terrain Setup Questions

Reactions
Hi there, new to the forum! Loving my 2020 ST so far. I have the street pack as well with upgraded brakes.

I'm looking to do a 20" wheel/tire setup with all terrain BFG K02 tires. From researching other threads it looks like the best size is 275/55/20. I want the setup to be just a few mm wider than the edge of the fender. I'll likely be getting BC Forged wheels with custom offsets front/rear to achieve this look on all 4 corners. My best guess to get this look is 20x9.5 et25 front and et18 rear.

Looking to see if anybody can help me figure out if this is accurate or if they have other suggestions and also would love confirmation this will fit my spec/no rubbing issues etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There are others in this thread that can chime in but as someone who has owned a staggered setup in the past, I can't possibly advise AGAINST it any more strenuously. It is such a pain in the ass that is completely unnecessary on a vehicle like this. If you truly want the rears pushed out a little more just use a really high quality billet 1/4" spacer designed for hub-centric fitment.

Reactions
I was looking at doing a 20x9 with 30 offset and the same 275/55/20 all terrain tires as well.

Billj747

Reactions
General Tire Grabber AT/X are less expensive, last longer, and have better side wall tread and performance than the K02.

Do 275/55-20s fit without rubbing?

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
General Tire Grabber AT/X are less expensive, last longer, and have better side wall tread and performance than the K02.

Do 275/55-20s fit without rubbing?
I think you just gotta be under 32” to clear but man that size is literally almost at 32” and I have never heard of anybody going that high in diameter. My set up is going to be 31.3 or something which is 285/50r20

Billj747

Reactions
I think you just gotta be under 32” to clear but man that size is literally almost at 32” and I have never heard of anybody going that high in diameter. My set up is going to be 31.3 or something which is 285/50r20
I found that this guy is running the 275/55-20:

Attachments

Reactions
Hey guys, just picked up my 21 ST last night and am very much interested in this thread. Having come from a GC Trailhawk with Duratracs, I'm having withdrawals looking at these street tires lol! I'm currently waiting on Traxda to get back to me on whether they were able to test their 2"-2.5" leveling kit on the 4WD explorer as I imagine we'll be able to get a much bigger tire (hopefully close to 33") with that kit.

Reactions
I have to admit that the idea of running ATs is interesting. Not what I thought I'd ever consider when I bought the truck.

Reactions
I have to admit that the idea of running ATs is interesting. Not what I thought I'd ever consider when I bought the truck.
TPMS, hub rings, and 265/65r18 Duratracs just came in today (31.6" diameter). I'm just waiting on the wheels at this point and should have everything installed in a week or so.

Reactions
There are others in this thread that can chime in but as someone who has owned a staggered setup in the past, I can't possibly advise AGAINST it any more strenuously. It is such a pain in the ass that is completely unnecessary on a vehicle like this. If you truly want the rears pushed out a little more just use a really high quality billet 1/4" spacer designed for hub-centric fitment.
not to bring up and old thread but if you had the ability to pick up a staggered set up but nice rims that would probably fit perfectly for a very good price and locally… would you consider running it? If it literally is a quarter of the price of buying a brand new set up?

local Facebook marketplace has a set of 22” giovannas that just need some black paint.

22x9 w a 35 offset in the front and 22x10.5 w a 30 offset in the rear.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
not to bring up and old thread but if you had the ability to pick up a staggered set up but nice rims that would probably fit perfectly for a very good price and locally… would you consider running it? If it literally is a quarter of the price of buying a brand new set up?

local Facebook marketplace has a set of 22” giovannas that just need some black paint.

22x9 w a 35 offset in the front and 22x10.5 w a 30 offset in the rear.
I actually did the calculations required for this. Lemme dig em up and see how close they are to what you are looking at

Reactions
Obviously for tire rotating and tires it’s a huge pain in the ass but for how local and almost how perfect the fitment might be… I might just snag them if you think the fitment works… let me know!

Thanks man.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Here you go. You need a overall tire diameter of 30.7". To maintain the same amount of tire ratio or bulge you will need to run 275/40r22 tires in the front and 315/35r22 tires in the rear--otherwise it will look funny (a 275 tire installed on a 9" and a 10.5" wheel looks VERY different) or be the wrong diamter (in a AWD vehicle that's very bad).

in the front, this is the comparison between a stock 275/45r21(21x9+37.5) street pack wheel/tire setup and a 275/40r22+35 (22x9+35). as you can see, almost perfect with just a smidge more poke.

1639791092610.png

in the rear, this is your comparison between a stock 275/45r21 (21x9+37.5) street pack wheel and a 315/35r22 (22x10.5+30). as you can see they poke out about 1" more. Thats alot and probably more than you want to do. That would give you a 2" wider track in the rear than the front. The front has a 1" wider track OEM so its not the end of the world but its something to think about. you can do 1 of 3 things with these facebook wheels to make them work.
a) run 1" spacers in the front (not a fan as 1" spacers might require stud cutting depending on the size of the pockets on the aftermarket wheels)
b) run 1.25" spacers in the front (works perfect but now your front track width is .5" wider than the rear--OEM is 1", so no biggie here)
c) run 1.25" spacers in the front and 0.25" spacers in the rear for a square setup.

1639791786786.png

If you need clarification on any of this, just let me know. Good Luck!

Reactions
Ived moved on from the staggered.. ending up taking your advice. found another real nice lead with a better wheel.. 10.5 all the way around but the guy doesnt know the offset. Im trying to get him to measure the offset so I know for sure. He's running 295/35/22 on them and the tires are brand new so its slightly smaller than stock but will work for now. Only problem is they are 5x120 so I need to contemplate if I want to run adapters, and if so the offset becomes critical.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
if you go that route, offset is gonna be a huge deal. you will need AT LEAST a 1" spacer to adapt 5x120 to 5x114.3 properly--the jury is up on if that will fit.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
A 275/55/20 is the stock 20" tire on the F150's has been since 2006. Ford puts those tires on a 20x8.5" wheel from the factory on the trucks, so you can reuse your 20" ST wheels if you wanted too.