Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG question

HiPoFotog

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST
Newb here! Picked up a brand new 23 ST the other day. Cant leave anything alone. Looking at a tune and intercooler to start. The ZFG reputation on here and the Facebook pages is impressive. It’s sold me alone.

first question. I see the 93 tune supports up to e30. How much fuel are you guys using to get that number? Or are you monitoring ethanol content somehow? My Mustang uses a N-gauge. Obviously not all e85 is the same. I’ve came across e60 all the way up to e90 at gas station pumps

secondly on the dms tune, is it extra for the launch control portion? How hard is it on the vehicle? My transbrake mod on my mustang does NOT feel nice when you use it.

Third: the “race” tune. Can it be used daily or should it really only be used for racing? I figure normal drive mode will be performance and sport will be race (is that the common go to?)

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Newb to the DMS tuning portion of things. Got a few questions. I’ve been through this forum and a few Facebook pages and the ZFG reputation has sold me alone.
I believe I’ve landed on an intercooler and a tune. I see the 93 octane tune also supports up to e30. How much fuel are you guys putting in to achieve that? How are you monitoring ethanol content? My Mustang has an N-gaugez
You can run e30 on a 93 tune. I use an app called E85 Mix Calculator. it is about 6 gallons of e85 to a the rest of the tank of 93.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/....EthanolBlendCalculator&pcampaignid=web_share

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
DMS has launch baked in, no additional cost. I've only used it once myself, not sure how using it will affect reliability. I run performance in normal drive mode with race assigned to sport. There is a notable difference with shifting in sport, with the shifts being a lot more firm. I'd imagine that does translate to more stress on the drive train, but there are members here with many miles running that way. YMMV.

OP
H

HiPoFotog

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
DMS has launch baked in, no additional cost. I've only used it once myself, not sure how using it will affect reliability. I run performance in normal drive mode with race assigned to sport. There is a notable difference with shifting in sport, with the shifts being a lot more firm. I'd imagine that does translate to more stress on the drive train, but there are members here with many miles running that way. YMMV.
how does the launch control work?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Newb here! Picked up a brand new 23 ST the other day. Cant leave anything alone. Looking at a tune and intercooler to start. The ZFG reputation on here and the Facebook pages is impressive. It’s sold me alone.

first question. I see the 93 tune supports up to e30. How much fuel are you guys using to get that number? Or are you monitoring ethanol content somehow? My Mustang uses a N-gauge. Obviously not all e85 is the same. I’ve came across e60 all the way up to e90 at gas station pumps

secondly on the dms tune, is it extra for the launch control portion? How hard is it on the vehicle? My transbrake mod on my mustang does NOT feel nice when you use it.

Third: the “race” tune. Can it be used daily or should it really only be used for racing? I figure normal drive mode will be performance and sport will be race (is that the common go to?)

Use the ethanol calculate on ZFG's website. There are ethanol testers you can buy on amazon to test the % of ethanol and make sure it is true E85.

Launch control is extremely hard on the transmission and driveshafts. All a matter of luck on how many times you get away with hard launches until something breaks.

Race tune can be used daily. It is intended for maximum power. However, if you don't like the throttle response or aggressiveness, ZFG can dial it down or your can go with the DMS option.

OP
H

HiPoFotog

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Use the ethanol calculate on ZFG's website. There are ethanol testers you can buy on amazon to test the % of ethanol and make sure it is true E85.

Launch control is extremely hard on the transmission and driveshafts. All a matter of luck on how many times you get away with hard launches until something breaks.

Race tune can be used daily. It is intended for maximum power. However, if you don't like the throttle response or aggressiveness, ZFG can dial it down or your can go with the DMS option.
I am familiar with testing, and usually am annoyed by the “test tube” part. Thankfully my mustang is on e85 most of the season it’s out, so I typically know where the good fuel is around town.

I think I’m gonna put the race tune in sport mode and roll with it!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions
just to piggy back on this a little instead of starting a new thread;

lets say I get the DMS tune and i do the Stock+, Tow, Daily, Performance, Race all set to a drive mode

does that mean all the original profiles will be erased? like lets say I need to use the ice/slippery mode but its set to race, ill have to revert to stock in order to use it correct?

if thats the case then can I have tow set to tow obviously, then lets say daily set to normal, stock+ set to eco, performance set to sport and race set to sand, will ice then be the 'stock' profile?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
just to piggy back on this a little instead of starting a new thread;

lets say I get the DMS tune and i do the Stock+, Tow, Daily, Performance, Race all set to a drive mode

does that mean all the original profiles will be erased? like lets say I need to use the ice/slippery mode but its set to race, ill have to revert to stock in order to use it correct?

if thats the case then can I have tow set to tow obviously, then lets say daily set to normal, stock+ set to eco, performance set to sport and race set to sand, will ice then be the 'stock' profile?
You get to pick Stock+, daily driver, or performance on most modes. Race is available on normal and sport. Tow only allows tow. At least that is what the current request form on their site allows. I'm pretty sure I picked stock+ for eco, and it feels very similar to pre tune. Since I don't really use the other modes, I cant really comment on them. Even using performance in normal doesn't feel very different from stock until I put my foot in it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I believe like me, people are hesitant to assign the performance tune to normal, and this is largely based on how the stock sport mode changes the throttle sensitivity. When I got my DMS tune, I reasoned that I wouldn't be buying a tune if I didn't want extra performance, so I took the leap and assigned performance to normal. I cannot be happier with that decision. The performance tune does nothing out of the ordinary if you keep the pedal off the floor. The Mrs has never even mentioned noticing a difference when she drives. If you can be comfortable doing this, you can put race on sport mode where it belongs and keep the remaining modes set for their intended purposes with a milder tune. Also, I'm not sure if you have to do this, but I asked to remove the throttle sensitivity in sport and it is so much better without it. The engine gets sensitive enough on its own with the higher revs sport mode holds onto.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Got a question for the zfg tune myself. I’m running catless downpipes and bigger intercooler and the 93 performance tune. Did two 0-60 runs last night. Both a little uphill. Second run was a 4.4. Any idea to where others are at with similar mods? Gonna try the e30 blend this weekend if weather holds up.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
There is a difference between the transbrake on the mustangs and the ZFG launch control. The trans brake locks two separate gears in so it essentially locks up the transmission allowing you to load up the convertor. The entire load is kept inside the trans until you release the button, then you shock the rest of the driveline and can break axles, driveshafts, etc. The ZFG launch control locks up the brakes so every part in the driveline is preloaded and when you launch there is little to no shock load on the axles and other parts. The ZFG strategy is much safer on parts than a transbrake. BTW, you can now get the same transbrake that is available on the mustang on your explorer and you can get it thru ZFG is you want it.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
@
There is a difference between the transbrake on the mustangs and the ZFG launch control. The trans brake locks two separate gears in so it essentially locks up the transmission allowing you to load up the convertor. The entire load is kept inside the trans until you release the button, then you shock the rest of the driveline and can break axles, driveshafts, etc. The ZFG launch control locks up the brakes so every part in the driveline is preloaded and when you launch there is little to no shock load on the axles and other parts. The ZFG strategy is much safer on parts than a transbrake. BTW, you can now get the same transbrake that is available on the mustang on your explorer and you can get it thru ZFG is you want it.
Dude, you really need to go back and review exactly how the transbrake function works. It works by applying two solenoids (usually first & reverse) to indeed “lock” the output until the reverse solenoid is released.

This is how you can get the “bump” function as well. The reverse solenoid is released for a very short time, like a few milliseconds that allows the trans output to rotate for that few milliseconds.

You can always just manually hold the brakes and load up the converter/driveline for a “foot brake” launch. Much different than a trans brake.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
@

Dude, you really need to go back and review exactly how the transbrake function works. It works by applying two solenoids (usually first & reverse) to indeed “lock” the output until the reverse solenoid is released.
And exactly what does those solenoids do? they apply clutches and or bands to mechanically locks two gears at the same time preventing any output from the trans. I know exactly how a transbrake works. I was trying to simplify the difference between a transbrake and the ZFG launch control (which is a glorified footbrake) and unless you have a built trans, I do not recommend a transbrake, it can be very hard on the trans and anything downstream of the trans in the driveline. Foot braking, and the ZFG launch control is a lot easier on the driveline.