Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

'Worthwhile' bolt-ons

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
I've been doing a bunch of reading, both here and the facebook groups and I'm trying to sift thru what mods I should do to my ST prior to getting it tuned. Targeting 'full bolt on'.

From what I've seen, and correct me if I'm wrong, downpipes and intercooler are a no-brainer for more power. I saw mixed info on intakes though, have there been any dynos that show an intake making a difference on a tuned truck? Same with some of the FenFab bits. I know adding a BOV isn't worth any power, but do the hot side pipes pick up anything? Lastly, with the addition of downpipes, does a catback exhaust free anything up? Any deltas between the 2.5" and 3" systems?

Truck will just been scooted around town, trips, normal DD duty, no regular towing. Always on 93, ethanol availability sucks around here.

Thanks in advance for the help

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Intercooler is a no-brainer. Both for reliability, consistency, and (if you're doing it), towing. Stock turbos do not need downpipes or an intake. BOV has never added a single HP to anything, ever. And with stock turbos, the only thing an exhaust will give you is more sound.

Short answer, save yourself money. Get a 93 tune. That's almost a guaranteed 100 HP over stock with no other mods. There is nothing else that'll give you that much bang for the buck. That's about $1000 or $10 per HP.

If you're still feeling like you need more HP, and we all get used to it quickly, my advice would be to go to an e50 tune. That's another 50+HP for just the price of the tune ($150?). But since that's not an option for you, now you have to move up to turbos, downpipes, and an intake. That is probably around $3-4k. On 93- worth maybe another 50HP. See where this is going? It's the law of diminishing returns.

There is never a reason to go with a dual 3" exhaust for performance. If it makes a sound you like, cool.

OP
K

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
Thread Starter #3
I don't want to say I'm down with diminished returns but I've built a few got rods in my day and definitely see value where maybe there isn't so much lol

Bring a 6 cylinder, I'm not hell bent on having exhaust. If it frees up next to no power, I'll pass on it. Intake and downpipes aren't terribly expensive. If that is worth 20-30awhp, I could definitely justify it.

If I did swap downpipes, does the OEM exhaust become a restriction?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your big 2 are tune and intercooler. After that downpipes consistently show 25ish HP and a CAI a few more. Most things after that are for sound, looks or just because you wanna do it.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you're not running an e50 tune (and the OP is not), I really don't believe that downpipes are going to net 25HP. Hey, I may be wrong, but I have never seen any evidence that this would be the case. Doesn't mean there is no gain, just that it's not worth the price.

For anyone interested, let me bring up another point forum members might not have considered- this forum had a huge discussion on the Ford Performance Tune. Most of the comments were about preserving warranty. In fact, warranty concerns are constantly being revisited on tuning discussions.

Consider this- if you think Ford won't warranty a failed powertrain for a tune, what do you think will happen when they discover you have aftermarkets cats? Believe me, I don't care what you do to your car. But I am always a little surprised that a "tune" causes so much discussion about warranty claims, yet aftermarket cats (downpipes) are never discussed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hey @TMac, I'm really intersted in what you're talking about with the 93 tune. Where do we look for something like that and which intercooler do you recommend? I can work on my old '99 Super Duty but this thing is a completely different animal.
Appreciate the info.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey @TMac, I'm really intersted in what you're talking about with the 93 tune. Where do we look for something like that and which intercooler do you recommend? I can work on my old '99 Super Duty but this thing is a completely different animal.
Appreciate the info.
Everyone has their recommendations. I'd recommend ZFG for the tune. It's a bit more pricey, but it's a custom tune and the HP device is superior. As far as intercoolers, I think the Whipple has the highest quality, but the CVF is very similar and is less expensive. Depends on your budget.

Here is a thread on intercooler comparison, FYI.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/has-anyone-done-an-intercooler-comparison.5360/post-70557

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you're not running an e50 tune (and the OP is not), I really don't believe that downpipes are going to net 25HP. Hey, I may be wrong, but I have never seen any evidence that this would be the case. Doesn't mean there is no gain, just that it's not worth the price.

Dyno numbers from people that put in the effort range from mid-teens to 20 on 93 and mid 20’s on E50. All catted…various brands.

OP
K

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
Thread Starter #9
Your big 2 are tune and intake. After that downpipes consistently show 25ish HP and a CAI a few more. Most things after that are for sound, looks or just because you wanna do it.
Quick question, you mention an intake and CAI separately. What do you mean by intake? Hot side piping?

OP
K

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
Thread Starter #10
Also thanks everyone for the input, this is super helpful.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Quick question, you mention an intake and CAI separately. What do you mean by intake? Hot side piping?
Looks like intercooler corrected to intake and I didn’t catch it.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@UNBROKEN I haven't seen any of those types of comparisons, but you are exposed to more of them than I would see since I'm not on FB. It very well may be that a 93 tune could produce a mid-teens HP increase. Having not changed my downpipes, I calculated this number as the delta between the mass flow numbers of the e50 tunes and the 93 tunes from ZFG which wouldn't show that great of a flow differential. It could certainly lead to a slightly faster spool to peak torque.

The only thing is that when we're talking only a 5% difference, that "could" just as easily be attributed to a 20 degree cooler day when being tested. I'm not doubting what you're saying, just pointing out to forum members if one were to pay $1000 let's say for downpipes, it may not be worth it. If you're swapping the turbos out, I'm absolutely all in on upgraded downpipes.

Just for anyone reading this, outside temp has a much higher impact on a turbocharged vehicle with an intercooler than a N/A vehicle. The amount of power you make is directly related to the air density, and intake air temperature has a much higher impact than most people realize. However, the intercooler magnifies this- not only are you getting the impact of denser air to the compressor, the temperature differential of the intercooler is also higher- adding even more density to the charge air. So unless one is testing under controlled conditions, changes to a turbo'd intercooled vehicle are far more than just the temp change might suggest. Just something to think about with any upgrade that might only be measured in a few percentage points.

That does NOT mean that there aren't some gains to be had from downpipes.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
In case anyone asks, Ford will void your warranty if you install a flux capacitor. ST owners be aware.

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 4.43.44 PM.png

OP
K

kDiqq

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Stinkin Aviator
Thread Starter #14
Not concerned with warranty at all. I've always got a few junk cars I can shuffle around while I de-mod for those visits. I've got a lift and low IQ, I'm all set.

Reactions
Not concerned with warranty at all. I've always got a few junk cars I can shuffle around while I de-mod for those visits. I've got a lift and low IQ, I'm all set.
As previously stated the tune(by ZFG) is a must as is the intercooler especially since you're in Texas. Run it hard or hell just get on the highway when it's 85 before and after the intercooler and you'll notice an immediate difference.

In regards to the downpipes @UNBROKEN has previously indicated there was a considerable pick up in 1/4 mile time post downpipes and Whoosh(who I have my downpipes through) dyno'd a stock ST and saw a 24hp increase over stock. I have not had mine dyno'd but it did feel more powerful post install. Granted I understand the power of the mind and dollar.

One last note with the ZFG 93 tune you can run up to an e30 blend without a separate tune and the power pick up is definitely noticeable. GLWYB

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Everyone has their recommendations. I'd recommend ZFG for the tune. It's a bit more pricey, but it's a custom tune and the HP device is superior. As far as intercoolers, I think the Whipple has the highest quality, but the CVF is very similar and is less expensive. Depends on your budget.

Here is a thread on intercooler comparison, FYI.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/has-anyone-done-an-intercooler-comparison.5360/post-70557
Appreciate it, TMac. Thank You for your time.