Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Won't Start: lights blink wildly...total dead stick (ongoing for 2+ years)

BinIndy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Video link below showing the problem...

2020 Explorer ST, 12,000 miles...towed for the 4th time last night! Dealership always comes back with, "we can't replicate the problem." Last time they had it for 3 weeks...and did absolutely nothing to the car.

Anybody have the same problem? Has anyone's dealership solved this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/BVV7J6YqRhk?feature=share

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Does it only happen when using remote start?
You can repeat it again and again under same circumstances, or does it not happen sometimes?
Dealership cannot repeat it?

OP
BinIndy

BinIndy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Does it only happen when using remote start?
You can repeat it again and again under same circumstances, or does it not happen sometimes?
Dealership cannot repeat it?
I only tried the remote start as an alternate solution...it was doing it with all forms of trying to start it

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You'll have to provide more info if you want some help. If you're still under warranty, I would suggest having your dealer replace the battery as a first step. My guess would be it's something affecting the anti-theft system. I did a bit of googling and found one report that said replacing the key fob battery solved the problem and another that replacing the vehicle battery solved the issue.

OP
BinIndy

BinIndy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
You'll have to provide more info if you want some help. If you're still under warranty, I would suggest having your dealer replace the battery as a first step. My guess would be it's something affecting the anti-theft system. I did a bit of googling and found one report that said replacing the key fob battery solved the problem and another that replacing the vehicle battery solved the issue.
Still under warranty (12,000 miles); Battery has been replaced once. Dealership just called and they're replacing the "Body control module."

They went on to say that, "in 14 of 17 Explorers with this issue, this replacement fixed the problem"...

Hopefully they're not just shooting in the dark...but at least they're doing something this time.

Thanks for searching around and using the brain bone...it's been exhausting and really frustrating!!

*on top of everything else, my wife put down a deposit on a '23 Bronco yesterday so she's "in line" when the order bank opens up...her Explorer was literally towed to that same dealership last night...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
BCM replacement/reflash would have been next guess.

Reactions
Video link below showing the problem...

2020 Explorer ST, 12,000 miles...towed for the 4th time last night! Dealership always comes back with, "we can't replicate the problem." Last time they had it for 3 weeks...and did absolutely nothing to the car.

Anybody have the same problem? Has anyone's dealership solved this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/BVV7J6YqRhk?feature=share
I have one of the 2020's that had this issue, the dealer had to reprogram the computer and it hasn't happened in over 3 years. After they flash it go back in with forscan and turn back on the heated windshield, when they flash it , it gets disabled.

Cksutler

Reactions
I have one of the 2020's that had this issue, the dealer had to reprogram the computer and it hasn't happened in over 3 years. After they flash it go back in with forscan and turn back on the heated windshield, when they flash it , it gets disabled.
I've been having the same issue for a while now and I need to finally take care of it. What exactly are they reprogramming/ flashing? The Body Control Module? Just want to make sure when I take it in I'm asking for the right thing.

Reactions
N
I've been having the same issue for a while now and I need to finally take care of it. What exactly are they reprogramming/ flashing? The Body Control Module? Just want to make sure when I take it in I'm asking for the right thing.
Not sure , I had this done when I first got it, after I started to play with forscan and tuning it I noticed the windshield was turned off. I believe the 2020's are the only ones with that option so assumed that's why they turned it off.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I had a very similar issue and was chasing it for months. This was on my '17 Fusion Sport. Dealer told me that they couldn't reproduce and then it would it first try in the parking lot. Would push button to start, car would click, lights come on, then nothing.

There was no rhyme or reason to when it would pop up. Finally when it started giving me warning it was going into deep sleep and I recorded a couple times of it acting up they suggested a new battery. I know people have mentioned that before and the thing that finally solved it (surprise surprise the battery changed nothing) was they had to reprogram the car to tell it there was a new battery. It learns the health of it and controls what systems are vital (starting is apparently not one). After the programming, which took 15 minutes it was perfect.

I don't know if that helps BinIndy but I deff feel you on the frustration of it not starting and them being baffled. Their eyes just glazed over when I was trying to explain it to them.