Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Winter is coming....

Reactions
With winter around the corner, what are some things you'll do to your ST before snow falls?

Providing you plan on driving this beast in the winter and you actually get a winter/snowy conditions. lol

And go...!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Already swapped over to full syn oil, have the block heater scheduled for install and winter wheels/tires are ready to mount at the first signs of that pesky impending snow

Reactions
Special ordered a winter wheel/tire setup in September. Went to pick them up last week and there was a chip in the finish. Since they also botched the offset I wanted, I'm back to waiting again till next month. Hope they get in before the snow hits.

Nice GoT reference BTW;)

Reactions
Nothing, because I'm in Texas. :)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
winter rims/tires go on soon. In winter, I hook up a battery trickle charger if I know I won't be driving for 4+ days--I have a pigtail that I access from the windshield washer area. If I anticipate needing an oil change during winter, I do that early because car work in an unheated garage is no fun at all.

Reactions
My winter tire setup is ready and standing by.

Enjoying the new truck on the ST pack wheels for another week or so before I toss them on.

22AA631C-5E19-481F-8336-04DECB80847F.jpeg

Reactions
winter rims/tires go on soon. In winter, I hook up a battery trickle charger if I know I won't be driving for 4+ days--I have a pigtail that I access from the windshield washer area. If I anticipate needing an oil change during winter, I do that early because car work in an unheated garage is no fun at all.
If you have the Lithium ion battery, can you use a trickle charger and not damage the electrical system?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you have the Lithium ion battery, can you use a trickle charger and not damage the electrical system?
? Like an aftermarket battery? We have an AGM battery if I'm not mistaken. I have no idea about Lithium batteries.

Reactions
Allow me to reword my question, can we use a trickle charger on our 2020 Explorer ST? The reason I ask is because it mentions Lithium in the owners manual and I read that you must be careful not to overcharge an AGM battery.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Our batteries are AGM. I use the Battery Tender Plus! which is OK for AGM batteries. It is a "smart" charger so will switch over to float mode once battery is fully charged. If I leave my car undriven in winter for an extended period of time, I often get the deep sleep warning. I've had issues with my previous BMW during winter as well. There are just so many electronics that the car will continuously use a small amount of power even when parked.

Reactions
Our batteries are AGM. I use the Battery Tender Plus! which is OK for AGM batteries. It is a "smart" charger so will switch over to float mode once battery is fully charged. If I leave my car undriven in winter for an extended period of time, I often get the deep sleep warning. I've had issues with my previous BMW during winter as well. There are just so many electronics that the car will continuously use a small amount of power even when parked.
Great info. I have 2 battery tender plus units. I was just under the hood. Not much room and I am not a mechanic, but I'm going to try to hook up the leads this coming week. Thanks for your knowledge, patience, and time with rookies like me.

Reactions
Couldn't get my fat fingers in the small space to remove the nut to the positive side so I did it the easy way. Don't look cool, but it works. 16065900981446090221822253798818.jpg 16065901200567995422580570360541.jpg