Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Windshield washer tank leaking

SRMLAN

Reactions
I have a 2020 that I bought July 5th 2021. I filled up the washer fluid since it was low. I checked it a month later and was low again and really use it. So I filled it up and check four days later and 1/3 gal low again so I took to first dealership. They said they could not find a leak and couldnt do anything. It would only leak when driving and never when sitting. Took to another dealership and they changed the tank. drove home and noticed missing fluid. I took the cap off and put a plastic bag and rubberband over the filler and didnt really see a leak so I brought back. They took my ST and another one in the shop and filled both and drove around and noticed that they both leaked the same. They said that it is a bad design from Ford and that the long neck holds a lot of fluid that sloshes around when driving and comes out of the cap.
Has anyone also had this problem? Its funny how the other one in the shop was also doing the exact thing and it was not in the shop for that.

Reactions
Late to your thread, however, after washing my Explorer over the last two weeks, I have noticed the blue washer fluid pooling under the right front.

I isolated it to dripping quite a bit, however, cannot find a leak, as the tank itself is buried inside some plastic panelling.

OP
S

SRMLAN

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Late to your thread, however, after washing my Explorer over the last two weeks, I have noticed the blue washer fluid pooling under the right front.

I isolated it to dripping quite a bit, however, cannot find a leak, as the tank itself is buried inside some plastic panelling.
Fill it up 100% and then drive around and then recheck, you will see that you have to refill. Coming out of the cap as is sloshes around.

Reactions
Fill it up 100% and then drive around and then recheck, you will see that you have to refill. Coming out of the cap as is sloshes around.
I will try that later this week. Thanks.

jsmit3112

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Also late to the thread. My 2020 XLT washer fluid reservoir also leaks until empty and the dealership can't find the cause. I've never seen any wet spots or areas near the tank. In my case, I can't imagine that the cap is the problem but I'll try the bag test tomorrow.

Reactions
Mine quit leaking after about 4 weeks of leaking. Ironically it only started after a trip to the dealer for it's annual oil change (we only drive about 5,000 miles a year). It hasn't leaked since I posted on here. I didn't try the bag test, however, if this coming November when we take it for it's yearly oil change, it leaks again after they fill it to the brim, I shall try that test and/or make them replace the tank...or just tell them not to fill it so damn high.

Has anyone actually checked to see if there is a mark on the tank/neck that says "FULL" or something like that? I'm too lazy to go look.