Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Window tint %?

Reactions
Best to check DMV regulations as to window tinting. Windows are tinted from the factory, darker on rear row sides and rear. Most states do not not allow much more tinting , especially to windshield and front row windows so law enforcement can see inside.

Reactions
Matching the rears would be 20%.

I did 35, not a match but even 35 is illegal where I live I didn't want to push it too much.

20200402_144909.jpg

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did 5% all around and a 35% ceramic tint on the windshield. It’s dark but surprisingly can still see just fine and with the cameras can get into parking lots and stalls at night just fine.

Attachments

Reactions
5% all the way around, 30% down the whole windshield with 5% strip across the top dfg.jpg

Attachments

Reactions
That would be illegal in my State and probably most others. When cars are shipped here with that level of tint, they have to go through the expense of having it removed (which is way more expensive than having it applied) and checked before it can be legally be on the road.

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
And yes it is illegal. But all the agencies around my area have blacked out explorers. Just looks like another unmarked patrol car. Except way nicer lol

Reactions
Vehicles here have to get an annual safety check for window tint, tire wear, working lights, current insurance and such. No smog check. If tint is beyond 35%, it has to be corrected. Gendarmes have to be able to see the driver and passenger. On passenger cars, rule applies to rear windows as well. Tint removal is fairly expensive compared to installation.

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Vehicles here have to get an annual safety check for window tint, tire wear, working lights, current insurance and such. No smog check. If tint is beyond 35%, it has to be corrected. Gendarmes have to be able to see the driver and passenger. On passenger cars, rule applies to rear windows as well. Tint removal is fairly expensive compared to installation.
Wow. Interesting

stuffle69

Reactions
Best to check DMV regulations as to window tinting. Windows are tinted from the factory, darker on rear row sides and rear. Most states do not not allow much more tinting , especially to windshield and front row windows so law enforcement can see inside.
Not what he asked !! Are you a cop ???

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I'm looking to tint my front passenger windows using static cling tints from here: https://www.greenfilmusa.com/automotive-custom-pre-cut

If I wanted to match the rear passenger windows, which % do you recommend?
Since nobody really answered your question, don't do clings. Just have a professional installer do tint the appropriate way. It will last longer and not fade, chip, or peel. The answer is actually 30%. A 20% will be too dark.

Most tints come in 5, 15, 20, 30, 35, 45, 55, and 70%. Since your front windows come with 70% tint from the factory, Adding a 30% or 35% tint over the stock 70% will get you the closest to a factory match rear. Keep in mind though that the front row has the windshield which give MUCH more backlight than the rear cargo area. This is why at first glance, a 20% film looks like a good match. If you decide to tint your moonroof or windshield though, this will change.

Blackssr

Reactions
18% here in South Florida on front doors. Pretty close to factory rears. 20210127_121840.jpg

Reactions
Sure he would know that if he lives there!
Yup. Regulation is based on police being able to see driver and passenger so total tint percentage, factory and additional tint, on front sides cannot exceed 35%. No additional tint of front windshield except three inch top eyebrow. I mention this as cars brought in from other States, even temporarily, must comply within ten days of arrival. Many owners are surprised at the cost of removal and the fines. So rules in other States can matter sometimes.

Reactions
Bought mine from AZ which I believe, rightfully, allows much more tint in the front. I am waiting to get pulled over before switching. Most of the police here have dark tint also. But....

Blackssr

Reactions
Florida has a 35% rule but rarely enforced. It a secondary offense if memory serves. The police have their Explorers and squad cars tinted as well. When I get pulled over for any reason, I immediately roll down the windows and let them know I have a concealed carry permit and a weapon in the glove box or on me. I keep my hand on the steering wheel as not the have any issues and wait for further instructions. I always respect law enforcement as does Natalie. She also carries.