Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

window switch chrome peeling

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Called my local Ford dealer to schedule an appointment to take care of the chrome peeling off the window switches on both driver and passenger sides.

really weird the way it is peeling off vehicle only has 6k miles and hasn't even been in a hot summer yet but it was recently quit cold. Not sure, anyways the service department says they will take care of it under warranty. Thanks Zeck Ford. So far Two awesome experiences with the service department there so far. Hope to continue a good relationship with them for services. Anyway just thought I I would let others know Ford is taking care of it as it seems to be somewhat a common problem in the ST and older explorer and Ford models.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mize442

Reactions
We have had our front driver and passenger's window switches twice now

OP
agonzales62451

agonzales62451

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Mize, we are hoping this is the last time we have to go in for the switches but if Ford is replacing them with the same faulty switches then we will likely be back in at some point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JP#ST

Reactions
I have the same issue, getting resolved at next service. 14 months old

Reactions
Same problem here. Took three weeks for the dealer to send pictures to Ford to get warranty approved and parts in stock. Going in next week to replace. Maybe they should eliminate the chrome covers and go with a solid piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
My driver side is doing the exact same thing. Its annoying, when I get back from this deployment Im going to notify Ford and hopefully they will replace them. Mine started peeling around 2000 miles.

Reactions
Mine did same thing. Dealer replaced.

Reactions
Same issue here.... Can we get he same switches without the chrome?

Reactions
Wonder why Ford thought it was a good idea to use stickers in this day and age. This stuff is what was in my childhood GM cars, actually worse since it didnt even last as long. Why place the seam at the top where you touch the most and is most likely to get peeled off?

My service center, Premier Ford of Bay Ridge Brooklyn seems in no rush to fix it. I mentioned it at the last service months ago and still no word.

Might as well replace them with aviator switches if they are better.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Piklhead

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST. Replacement for 2020 buyback.
Ditto: Twice in 9K miles. Wondering if you could coat them with
finger nail polish, super glue or something similar to keep them from flaking. Anyone tried it?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
There is a new fix that replaces chrome with a colored plastic insert. Look like clean fix that won't have repeat issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Replaced my switch chrome caps with these and no issues since. Easy 5 minute swap out, if interested picture attached with part number. 72160190361__2E9F2B28-35BD-4945-9F75-23F38F8E8A3D.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
One of the best fixes I have done so far on my ST. I was sick of the chrome peeling and getting stuck in my skin.