Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Window Deflectors

KegsBdry

Reactions
Reactions
The low-profile versions are awful. They don't cover the complete opening so you can't just drop the glass down and inch or since there is a big gap up front by the mirror. Adding to that, they don't adhere very well. AVS/Lund must have gotten lots of complaints since they came out with a standard version like they had for the Gen5 Explorers (have these on mine and they are perfect).

Lots of info over here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/weathertech-side-window-air-deflectors.486486/

New design:

AVS 94332 2020 Explorer.jpg

Reactions
You don't have to take my word for it, but those low-profile versions really suck. They attach poorly to the driver and passenger doors (many out there have had them fly off), and when you drop the window a 1/2" or so, there is a big gap at the front, which defeats their whole purpose. I put it all in the thread I linked up there. The standard versions fit full length and are the way to go. So glad I swapped mine out, especially since Lund/AVS listened to all the complaints and came out with them.

Here's the gap in the low-profile set, which lets in lots of wind noise as well as rain:

20200410_125904.jpg

20200410_124120.jpg

Reactions
You don't have to take my word for it, but those low-profile versions really suck. They attach poorly to the driver and passenger doors (many out there have had them fly off), and when you drop the window a 1/2" or so, there is a big gap at the front, which defeats their whole purpose. I put it all in the thread I linked up there. The standard versions fit full length and are the way to go. So glad I swapped mine out, especially since Lund/AVS listened to all the complaints and came out with them.

Here's the gap in the low-profile set, which lets in lots of wind noise as well as rain:

View attachment 9092

View attachment 9093
I have the original low profiles. For looks they are fantastic.. for function, not so much. Didn't even know they were redesigned so I'll be looking into swapping them out I'm sure.

Reactions

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Weathertech still has not gotten around to making a window deflector for the ST. I'm typically a fan of the deflectors being IN the window track, opposed to over the window.

Weathertech
https://www.weathertech.com/ford/2020/explorer-st/side-window-deflectors/
Just ordered a set. They apparently only have the fronts. I don't mind the AVS at all but they are a little too conspicuous for my taste. $81 shipped for the fronts. No rear side window deflectors available apparently.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Just ordered a set. They apparently only have the fronts. I don't mind the AVS at all but they are a little too conspicuous for my taste. $81 shipped for the fronts. No rear side window deflectors available apparently.
I was expecting an email from WeatherTech to notify me when they were out.

Thank you for letting me know.

It's a shame they didn't release the rear ones yet, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks again!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I was expecting an email from WeatherTech to notify me when they were out.

Thank you for letting me know.

It's a shame they didn't release the rear ones yet, but I'll take what I can get. Thanks again!
I should thank you! i too signed up for the notification and received nothing. I am too lazy to look up the product again but saw your post and followed your link. i had to do a double take when an actual product was listed. i really only need the fronts but will eventually get rears just to match.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I should thank you! i too signed up for the notification and received nothing. I am too lazy to look up the product again but saw your post and followed your link. i had to do a double take when an actual product was listed. i really only need the fronts but will eventually get rears just to match.
Glad I could help you, that in turn helped myself. :ROFLMAO:

I typically leave the back side windows cracked open to hear the aftermarket exhaust a little better. But these front ones will do nice when it's raining. (y)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I received the deflectors yesterday and installed them. Fitment is really good. Unfortunately, for both sides, when I go to inch the window up for the first time, the plastic lip on the front edges and tips cracked. I didn't read anything about not installing them in the cold but customer service says that they should be installed when it's 50*F or higher. Thankfully, they are sending me a replacement. They do look good and the flare on them, as well as the front edge coverage, should perform better than the AVS.

Last edited:

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Here are a couple of images of them installed.

20220206_123220.jpg 20220206_123212.jpg 20220206_123150.jpg

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I received the deflectors yesterday and installed them. Fitment is really good. Unfortunately, for both sides, when I go to inch the window up for the first time, the plastic lip on the front edges and tips cracked. I didn't read anything about not installing them in the cold but customer service says that they should be installed when it's 50*F or higher. Thankfully, they are sending me a replacement. They do look good and the flare on them, as well as the front edge coverage, should perform better than the AVS.

Took your advice and installed the deflectors after my garage got above 50'F. Learn from others!
They went right in. The hard part was 'slowly' raising the front windows without the 'automatic full up' activating. Now I have to wait a couple days for them to settle before opening my windows again.

Question: I know it's too late now. But did you leave on the little plastic (tape?) on the very front edge? I wish I took a picture of it.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Question: I know it's too late now. But did you leave on the little plastic (tape?) on the very front edge? I wish I took a picture of it.
Yes. It just prevents the edge of the plastic from cutting the rubber of the window surround. It looks a little like packing tape but a closer look shows them to be a slightly thicker vinyl tape.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Yes. It just prevents the edge of the plastic from cutting the rubber of the window surround. It looks a little like packing tape but a closer look shows them to be a slightly thicker vinyl tape.
:cautious:

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
If you don’t mind sir do you have a link to the dash cover that you have on your vehicle?
I believe its a covercraft. Ill have to look at the tag on it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone know if the "Weathertech" logo is removable? Looks kind of like just a sticker but also looks like it might have been imprinted on there.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #20
I've re-contacted WeatherTech about their 3+ year wait to get side deflecters built. Talk about doing the ball!

Has anyone found equivalent (inside the window) side deflectors?

Or better yet, is there a version made for another vehicle that'll fit our side windows?!