Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Will it tow?

Cgouveia

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Hey all me and the wife currently own a pop up camper with a dry weight of 3000lbs. We are wanting to upgrade to a hybrid that is 4300lbs dry weight and has a CCC of 1500lbs which I don’t think we would top out at. Just wondering if anyone has done any towing with travel trailers and how did the explorer perform.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Few members here have campers, trailers, etc. I believe it maxes out at 5,500lbs. Quick search there are quite a few threads on people's experiences with it towing diff things.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I tow a flat bed trailer with my SxS on it. It weighs 3100lbs. (tongue 350lbs) The ST does just fine (although gas mileage suffers.)

The weight you need to be working with is GVWR. It should be on a sticker on the front driver side of the trailer. Dry weight is deceiving and a good way to get confusing tow results. Also, always go to a scale (loaded to camp) to find out exactly what your setup weights and where the weight is distributed between the ST axles/hitch and trailer wheels. A good balance will insure a good towing experience without white knuckles.