Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wife's 2020 Explorer ST

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Background: It is kind of funny how we ended but getting this. We recently added to our family and with us both having cars at the time with a 60 pound pup, we knew we had to get into something bigger for future trips. The explorer really wasn't on our radar at all. We drove a xlt and platinum, decided the size was perfect but it just wasn't the vehicle we really wanted. We really were down to a Mazda CX-9 to hold us over until the CX-90 came out in a few years or a Toyota Highlander for the gas mileage. When we spotted this on the lot, it looked great, had the size. With her coming from a 2014 Mazda6, the infotainment was an upgrade along with the headed seats and steering wheel. The bigger motor helped... The Explorer ST is somewhat its own class of performance compared to all the other three rows. Both my wife and I know cars and wanted a step up in performance and it to be somewhat luxurious. Having a newborn, we knew going in, this will take some abuse in the coming years, all in all it was the perfect step up. We came home that day it. Hoping to keep this up t date with mods and life of the vehicle.

SUV: 2020 Explorer ST - 13,500 miles. 6/17/2022
C42E3451-254F-4B6C-B3DE-8BE73C185EC5.jpeg

Plans: A few tasteful mods to add while not getting out of hand :cool:

Oil Change Tracker:
6/1/22 - 13,500 - Dealership said oil was changed once they received it (not trusting)
6/25/22 -13,800 - Mobil 1 5W-30 - Purolator Filter.
11/23/22 - 18,005 - Mobil 1 5W-30 - Purolator Filter.
04/20/23 - 23,423 - Dealership Oil Change
10/21/23 - 30,320 - Mobil 5W-30 - CarQuest Filter
Mods/Recalls:
08/04/22 - 15,025 - Mishimoto Catch Can
09/19/22 - 16,345 - Turbosmart 50/50 BOV
01/11/23 - 19,634 - Tint
08/12/23 - 25,873 - Black emblems front and rear installed
11/06/23 - 31,054 - WeatherTech Mudflaps installed
04/11/24 - 35,845 - RECALL: Dealer - Replaced both Catalytic Convertors and Rear Camera

Last edited:

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Welcome to the ST experience.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Background: It is kind of funny how we ended but getting this. We recently added to our family and with us both having cars at the time with a 60 pound pup, we knew we had to get into something bigger for future trips. The explorer really wasn't on our radar at all. We drove a xlt and platinum, decided the size was perfect but it just wasn't the vehicle we really wanted. We really were down to a Mazda CX-9 to hold us over until the CX-90 came out in a few years or a Toyota Highlander for the gas mileage. When we spotted this on the lot, it looked great, had the size. With her coming from a 2014 Mazda6, the infotainment was an upgrade along with the headed seats and steering wheel. The bigger motor helped... The Explorer ST is somewhat its own class of performance compared to all the other three rows. Both my wife and I know cars and wanted a step up in performance and it to be somewhat luxurious. Having a newborn, we knew going in, this will take some abuse in the coming years, all in all it was the perfect step up. We came home that day it. Hoping to keep this up t date with mods and life of the vehicle.

SUV: 2020 Explorer ST - 13,500 miles. 6/17/2022
View attachment 13064

Plans: A few tasteful mods to add while not getting out of hand :cool:

Oil Change Tracker:
6/1/22 - 13,500 - Dealership said oil was changed once they received it (not trusting)

Mods: Stock
Welcome to the forum

Pittsburgh.ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Welcome!

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Just wrapped up the first oil change, it’s not that I don’t trust the dealership, I really wanted to do it myself and see the process. I have been using Mobil 1 oil and purolator filters since I can remember. My father has used these brands years without issue on all sorts of vehicles. I have followed in his footsteps. Honestly this might of been the most annoying oil change I have done in sometime (doesn’t help I’m not the tallest guy) just due to placement of things. The Focus ST has a way more annoying bottom tray than the explorer does, it was more so the placement of the filter, oil cap and dipstick

Some Notes/Questions:
These motors get hotttt I couldn’t believe it how hot that filter was from just driving around a bit to get the oil up to temp.

I actually don’t mind the plastic oil plug… its nice not cursing like a sailor when the dealer over tightens the bolt. That being said, a tad nervous how it will last over the life of services… is there a replacement cycle on these?

Has anyone lifted their ST on a quickjack? I’m assuming I might need to get the extension to feel safe under it. I have the 5,000lb unit, any experience would be appreciated.

We have a trip next week to cape cod which will be a nice mileage test and comfort test. Now if I can convince the wife just because we don’t have a sedan anymore doesn’t mean we can pack everything

Attachments

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
First aesthetic mod was something simple/ OEM+. The wifey wanted to match my Focus ST so, white it is. I went with "reflective white" for hers.. The vinyl fits as close to perfect as you can ask for.
Some detail spray, a shakey hand and taking my time, it was done in 5 minutes.
9A008DBE-2656-4C0E-8385-659D08208A40.jpeg
Next up is the catch can, stay tuned!

Attachments

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Second aesthetic mod was another simple/ OEM+. I find it strange that this motor doesn’t have an engine cover. Talk about newer car problems. I went with a sticker I had found off eBay that says Ford Performance and placed it on the strut tower brace. I know a few other ford products have some type of emblem or phrase on the engine cover. Figured this completes the look a bit more and looks OEM. One too many beers and some measuring, I believe it came out very nice! Fit perfectly in the space.

I have the catch can sitting here ready for install but the nights have just been humid here in PA to really want to spend time under the hood.. having a newborn may also help with not getting it installed.

Attachments

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Not much to report on the Explorer, its been doing family duties pretty well. The other ST has been getting more of the love. (hopeful to get some track days in this year)
The windshield has been replaced after a lovely rock hit it, this is my fourth windshield on this car and the cowl finally had enough, ended up redoing the doublesided tape to help keep it all together.

Update on the Explorer's catch can after 5,000 miles, maybe a half oz of crap in there.

I think up next for the explorer will be some sound deadening material.
I have looked at a few posts here to see the materials to use. Might be a spring time job and tackle a door at a time.
Then I'll be on the hunt to add the street package to the explorer as well. I need to do more research on the brakes but I'm assuming they are bigger and painted red...

Anyway, here are some photos, until next time!

3E364F8E-6699-45AC-B3EA-AB374AB0B24D.jpeg CD479B2D-69A5-410C-BB90-939C4F23B871.jpeg

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just wrapped up the first oil change, it’s not that I don’t trust the dealership, I really wanted to do it myself and see the process. I have been using Mobil 1 oil and purolator filters since I can remember. My father has used these brands years without issue on all sorts of vehicles. I have followed in his footsteps. Honestly this might of been the most annoying oil change I have done in sometime (doesn’t help I’m not the tallest guy) just due to placement of things. The Focus ST has a way more annoying bottom tray than the explorer does, it was more so the placement of the filter, oil cap and dipstick

Some Notes/Questions:
These motors get hotttt I couldn’t believe it how hot that filter was from just driving around a bit to get the oil up to temp.

I actually don’t mind the plastic oil plug… its nice not cursing like a sailor when the dealer over tightens the bolt. That being said, a tad nervous how it will last over the life of services… is there a replacement cycle on these?

Has anyone lifted their ST on a quickjack? I’m assuming I might need to get the extension to feel safe under it. I have the 5,000lb unit, any experience would be appreciated.

We have a trip next week to cape cod which will be a nice mileage test and comfort test. Now if I can convince the wife just because we don’t have a sedan anymore doesn’t mean we can pack everything
I am going to assume that you have figured out the Quickjack thing. I have a 7000 lb unit that I use on the ST often and have had no issues. I do use the slotted QJ pucks for the pinch wield rail.

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
I am going to assume that you have figured out the Quickjack thing. I have a 7000 lb unit that I use on the ST often and have had no issues. I do use the slotted QJ pucks for the pinch wield rail.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’m looking to potentially upgrade to the 7,000lb unit. I’m upset with myself because I even said “you should get the 7,000lb unit in case you ever get an SUV or electric car” yet here I am.. I love the unit, I throw the Focus ST on there and can keep it up for days and just attack everything nicely

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
For those that are wondering about the Quickjack setup, I have a 5,000lb unit and had ordered the extensions a few weeks back. My space isn't huge by any means but it gets the job done.
Makes oil changes and rotating the tires, so much easier. Quick shot of her up on them.

1706722246249.png

OP
UWN

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Got around to actually adding these photos, life happens! I went with the Weathertech mud flaps as they seemed to cover more of the tire width then others. That is truly the only reason I went with them. They have held up through their one winter season pretty well here in PA. They also have kept all the tar off the paint from the quick pothole repairs. It is nice the explorer has more plastic towards the bottom of the doors.

Dealer has also replaced both cats and the rear camera due to recalls during her yearly inspection. They ended up doing both cats even though one was cracked. I'll have to get it up on the quickjacks to see the quality of work. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt but I haven't had much luck with this dealership in the past, so I'm always doublechecking everything.

I been looking into exhausts lately, but want to be on the quieter side as this is our family hauler and road tripper. I'm not reaching for every single horsepower out of this vehicle and am leaning towards Borla's S-Type.. let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Got around to actually adding these photos, life happens! I went with the Weathertech mud flaps as they seemed to cover more of the tire width then others. That is truly the only reason I went with them. They have held up through their one winter season pretty well here in PA. They also have kept all the tar off the paint from the quick pothole repairs. It is nice the explorer has more plastic towards the bottom of the doors.

Dealer has also replaced both cats and the rear camera due to recalls during her yearly inspection. They ended up doing both cats even though one was cracked. I'll have to get it up on the quickjacks to see the quality of work. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt but I haven't had much luck with this dealership in the past, so I'm always doublechecking everything.

I been looking into exhausts lately, but want to be on the quieter side as this is our family hauler and road tripper. I'm not reaching for every single horsepower out of this vehicle and am leaning towards Borla's S-Type.. let me know your thoughts!
I have the Borla S-Type on our ST. You know what the fake exhaust sounds like when you put it in Sport Mode, that is what the S-Type sounds like on every takeoff. It does quite down during cruising to a point that you don't even hear it. Definitely not too loud but you will hear it on every acceleration.