Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wife hit a deer... intercooler time.

Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Wife hit a deer on the way to work this AM. Intercooler, radiator, and whole front end is trashed. Thankfully my wife is fine. Now is the time to do an intercooler - can't imagine OEM being super cheap so the cost will be already partially covered in my opinion.

What is the best option and what auto octane tune should I go with? The car is my wife daily driver and our family commuter.

Thanks for any input!!!!

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hope the wife’s ok. I’ve hit deer with 2 different trucks and upgraded parts both times. Good luck with the repairs.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #3
Thankfully she is fine. Air bag did not deploy. She was going about 50 and it really did a number on her car. I hope repairs turn out good and undetectable. I won't be happy unless everything is perfect. I will absolutely use this as a reason to upgrade though. Wish it wouldn't have happened as I carry a high deductible but oh well she wasn't hurt, thats the main thing!!!

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Wife hit a deer on the way to work this AM. Intercooler, radiator, and whole front end is trashed. Thankfully my wife is fine. Now is the time to do an intercooler - can't imagine OEM being super cheap so the cost will be already partially covered in my opinion.

What is the best option and what auto octane tune should I go with? The car is my wife daily driver and our family commuter.

Thanks for any input!!!!
Glad to hear your wife is fine, cars can be repaired/replaced.

You didn't mention if you were concerned about warranty issues for a tune so I would recommend ZFG's DMS tune https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/product-page/2020-23-ford-explorer-3-0l-zfg-racing-dms-custom-tune. If you want to maintain your warranty, and you wife might not care about the BIGGEST performance gains, them the Ford Performance Tune might be the route to go. Ford tune is not an auto octane tune though. https://www.lethalperformance.com/f...l-2020-2022-explorer-st-3-0l-m-9603-ex30.html

Good luck with the repairs and now would also be a good time to swap that front emblem out before they put the front clip back on.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #5
Not worried about warranty. Just want the best shifting highest performance auto octane tune.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #6
Also want the best bang for buck intercooler. Surely the body shop will just let me pay the difference and not give me a hard time for not going back to OEM?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Also want the best bang for buck intercooler. Surely the body shop will just let me pay the difference and not give me a hard time for not going back to OEM?
I installed the Whipple in mine and was a straight forward install. Most of the aftermarket intercoolers out there will perform way better than the stock one. You can browse various intercoolers on this site but it is your preference. https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...or/2020-2023-explorer-st/cooling/intercoolers

Last edited:
OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with the Whipple or Steeda. Talking with a body shop here soon. Texted ZFG waiting on a response.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #10
Is a CAI worth it if doing intercooler and ZFG tune? Wanting to stick to auto octane as most of the time wife just drives to work and couldn't care less so don't wanna be stuck buying 91 or 93. Really like the looks of the new S&B CAI. Would love to break 450 HP. Better yet 500 but doesn't sound likely.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Is a CAI worth it if doing intercooler and ZFG tune? Wanting to stick to auto octane as most of the time wife just drives to work and couldn't care less so don't wanna be stuck buying 91 or 93. Really like the looks of the new S&B CAI. Would love to break 450 HP. Better yet 500 but doesn't sound likely.
CAI has been debated here a few times. I do like the look of that intake and the aFe Momentum I have looks similar. I did it for the looks and the best thing is to ask Adam at ZFG if it will do you any good.

Raym80

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I just added the FenFab intake.

The intake sounds amazing, sure there is some hp gains to it, but really it’s the sound that’s a marketable difference.

CAI has been debated here a few times. I do like the look of that intake and the aFe Momentum I have looks similar. I did it for the looks and the best thing is to ask Adam at ZFG if it will do you any good.