Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Why does Waze only take up 1/3 of screen?

rxrep

Reactions
i really don't need audio info and phone info taking up so much screen space.
Ford should rethink how it displays NAV in Android Auto or Car Play. It should be more dominant.

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Apple CarPlay is not very good with these portrait oriented screens. Be nice if ford pushed an update

Reactions
It's annoying, I love waze but hate that tiny map. The whole screen has so much wasted space.

Reactions
If you plug your phone in ( I have an iPhone ) with out using Apple Car play and just use Waze it's the whole screen but seems to freeze up a lot. I just figured this out this past weekend and haven't had a chance to play with it to see if I can get it to run smoother.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The WAZE sync 3 app is horrible. Very slow refreshes and it seems to be in low resolution...like watching VHS when you are used to HD content.

If only the carplay area would be double the size. I not optimistic Ford will get that done, even though it's certainly possible--it's definitely not a limitation of Carplay.

TenTwo

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I just bought a 21 ST and the worst about this is the fact that this has been an issue for over a year and they still haven’t fixed it. I have little hope my new ST upgraded infotainment will ever work as well as 99% of the other vehicles made in the last 4 years. Sad.

Reactions
Blame the devs at ford or where ever they outsourced that to.... The apps natively support land scape and derp mode. It is up to ford to make the software changes to support the two views.

Reactions
In the IT classes I did at the dawn of the computer age, I would never have passed if I turned in a screen as crappy as the way this one is used.

motormac

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
In my 2018 Explorer Platinum, the Waze program would put the map on the 8" screen, and the drive instructions on the iPhone, where I could use both at the same time. The 2021 Explorer ST Waze puts the map onto the screen, and it shuts off the iPhone, where I cannot use the iPhone for anything, even phone calls. I use Waze on the iPhone, and I do not connect the data cable to the port in the vehicle. I must check this function, now that I have updated the software.

Reactions
In the IT classes I did at the dawn of the computer age, I would never have passed if I turned in a screen as crappy as the way this one is used.
It's amazing how much beta testing is pushed onto consumers.... It's pathetic how low standards have gotten. And then you have the time and communication barrier between the team doing the work and the guy here trying to manage them....

motormac

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Temporary Work Visa employees, without benefits, are the greatest, just ask the former IT employees of that hospital in San Francisco. A press reporter had asked one of the early astronauts how he felt flying into space, and his reply was, "How would you feel, flying on the cheapest bid." Technology has come a long way from the Data General Eclipse 250 (16 bit), and the VAX11/785 (32 bit.)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I don't think Sync updates will add any functionality. They will be about ongoing bug fixes and functionality that was originally intended. I bet most of their people have shifted over to Sync 4 so you won't see much in the way that is new for us.

Reactions
If you plug your phone in ( I have an iPhone ) with out using Apple Car play and just use Waze it's the whole screen but seems to freeze up a lot. I just figured this out this past weekend and haven't had a chance to play with it to see if I can get it to run smoother.
Wait, what? How?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TenTwo

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Yeah, you plug in your phone, open Waze on your phone. Click on the phone in the middle of the screen. Choose the Wave App which should display if you have it open on your phone. You get full screen Waze and you can listen to Apple Music

Reactions
Yeah, you plug in your phone, open Waze on your phone. Click on the phone in the middle of the screen. Choose the Wave App which should display if you have it open on your phone. You get full screen Waze and you can listen to Apple Music
Holy shit that’s awesome although annoying you can’t do anything else on phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zetes97

Reactions
Should I turn off apple carplay after pressing the phone in the middle of the screen?

Zetes97

Reactions
I am no longer able to get Waze to display as full screen on my ST. CarPlay is off and iPhone connected via USB cable. When I go into app center and open Waze it no longer shows up as an app. Any ideas?