Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Who plans on adding paint protection film?

Reactions
I did XPEL PPF

Door handle cups
Full hood
Full front bumper
Headlights

rchuro

Reactions
If you apply the film, what’s the benefit of still doing the ceramic coating over it? How often do you have to have the ceramic reapplied if you use automated car washes (I know, I know just don’t have the time to hand wash)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
You do the ceramic first then apply the PPF.
The preferred method from every dealer/installer I've ever dealt with is... PPF then ceramic coating to ensure the PPF bonds or adheres properly to your vehicle.... It's extremely difficult to apply PPF to a vehicle that already has the hydrophobic properties you get once it's ceramic coated.

Reactions
Vehicle
If you apply the film, what’s the benefit of still doing the ceramic coating over it? How often do you have to have the ceramic reapplied if you use automated car washes (I know, I know just don’t have the time to hand wash)?

Most ceramic coatings vary by brand tbh and there's a ton to chose from these days... Most of the leading brands last anywhere from 2-5yrs w/ minimal yearly maintenance. In order to maintain a ceramic coating's longevity you should still wash your car regularly though. A lot of people are under the impression that you never have to wash you car again. That's def not the case however the ceramic coating will make the whole washing process seem effortless due to its hydrophobic properties.... Sometimes I don't even use soap when I wash my car, a simple rinse and air dry on the open road or with a leaf blower and it looks showroom ready again. I hoped that helps !!

Reactions
Most ceramic coatings vary by brand tbh and there's a ton to chose from these days... Most of the leading brands last anywhere from 2-5yrs w/ minimal yearly maintenance. In order to maintain a ceramic coating's longevity you should still wash your car regularly though. A lot of people are under the impression that you never have to wash you car again. That's def not the case however the ceramic coating will make the whole washing process seem effortless due to its hydrophobic properties.... Sometimes I don't even use soap when I wash my car, a simple rinse and air dry on the open road or with a leaf blower and it looks showroom ready again. I hoped that helps !!
What about drive thru washes, are they likely to cause swirls or scratches?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
You do the ceramic first then apply the PPF.
This is 100% wrong. ALWAYS apply ceramic coating AFTER any PPF or wrap.

The preferred method from every dealer/installer I've ever dealt with is... PPF then ceramic coating to ensure the PPF bonds or adheres properly to your vehicle.... It's extremely difficult to apply PPF to a vehicle that already has the hydrophobic properties you get once it's ceramic coated.
Exactly. The PPF will not adhere properly to ceramic coated paint. You will also need to strip off any waxes used as well.

This is correct. It helps my car is white, but it will stay clean for seemingly forever. A quick rinse and it looks almost perfect. Depending on the coating used and the layers used, warranty varies. See below for examples:
https://www.wildwrapz.com/detailing (scroll to the bottom)

What about drive thru washes, are they likely to cause swirls or scratches?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
while i don't recommend this AT ALL, PPF and Ceramic helps dramatically with reducing/preventing swirls/scratches. if you are short on time, and can't wash it at your residence, there are tons of "drive thru" washes that have bays where you can jump out real quick and spray off your car with pressurized water/soap. even though the water at these places is still recycled, its better than "no touch" drive throughs, which are better than anything with brushes that touch your vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
This is 100% wrong. ALWAYS apply ceramic coating AFTER any PPF or wrap.

Exactly. The PPF will not adhere properly to ceramic coated paint. You will also need to strip off any waxes used as well.

This is correct. It helps my car is white, but it will stay clean for seemingly forever. A quick rinse and it looks almost perfect. Depending on the coating used and the layers used, warranty varies. See below for examples:
https://www.wildwrapz.com/detailing (scroll to the bottom)

while i don't recommend this AT ALL, PPF and Ceramic helps dramatically with reducing/preventing swirls/scratches. if you are short on time, and can't wash it at your residence, there are tons of "drive thru" washes that have bays where you can jump out real quick and spray off your car with pressurized water/soap. even though the water at these places is still recycled, its better than "no touch" drive throughs, which are better than anything with brushes that touch your vehicle.
Co-sign this statement as well... you'd be surprised how quick & easy it is to hand-wash your vehicle once both have been applied correctly.

My ST is Better!

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yeah I typed it backwards please forgive me I was drunk!!

Chief28

Reactions
Has anyone purchased and installed any of the precut kits? How difficult was the install? Looking at buying a XPEL kit.

Reactions
I got a quote for ceramic @ $1,600 (with minor paint repair) Hadn't thought about the rims and calibers. Appreciate that info

tmannino

Reactions
Just ordered a bunch of accessories and parts off AutoNation, great prices, Thankyou!

So I’m challenged. Can you post the link to the correct AutoNation website, please? Thanks in advance.

Reactions
In southern NH, I have Tint World doing the bumper, mirrors and hood for $785. I called as soon as I bought the vehicle and the soonest they can get it in is May 17th. I had these areas done on my previous vehicle (2016 GMC Yukon) and the bumper hood and mirrors looked just like new when I traded it in.

GTP

Reactions
Has anyone purchased and installed any of the precut kits? How difficult was the install? Looking at buying a XPEL kit.
I will apply PPF to small relatively flat areas by myself. But a bumper would take too much practice. You can't peel off the film and try again (like you can to some degree with vinyl). Those shops use special juice, a lot of it, and coming out from special juice cannisters. It's a process.

OTOH, if you have lots of practice with large pieces of vinyl, then it might not be so scary to go DIY.

It can be tricky to find a shop with a good quote and yet also excellent quality.

KozzyJr

Reactions
I just ordered my kit for my ST. I’m doing the entire SUV