Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whistling Noise

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a new 22 ST and I hear a whistling noise coming from the drivers side. Is this a common issue and is this something to take to the dealer to check out? Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and how they are dealing with it. I was thinking just get a Borla ATAK and not be worried about it . Lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Common problem with all years. You certainly can mention to the dealer as the fix varies with the problem. On earlier years, the side mirror housing was the source--they supposedly have a new design that fixes that though. On others, it was the seal on the B pillar. Many have found the source themselves using tape to mask areas of turbulence.

Reactions
My 21 ST had a whistle on the front passenger side door. I put blue tape over the door seal to see if it would stop the whistling. It did stop the whistle so I bought a cheap 10$ rubber weather strip and added it to the top side of my door jam to help seal the door until I could get it into the dealer. Surprisingly when I was ready to bring it to the dealer a couple months later I removed the added weather strip and it wasn't there. SO the point I'm getting at is that it may just go away on its own. but it wont hurt to stop by the dealer.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I had loud wind noise at Freeway speeds traced to the passenger rear door. I did the painful process of masking off all door glass seams until I determined it was the thin black strip between the door sliding glass and the 1/4 window. If you pressed on it you could see it was bowed out. Dealer swapped out the 1/4 window trim as it comes as one piece and noise gone. Yours sounds like the outside mirror, maybe compare drivers to passenger see if any trim pieces are misaligned. Then start taping because dealers do piss poor job troubleshooting unless Ford pays for it.