Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whirring and sounds.

Bdog

Reactions
Does anyone hear strange sounds coming from under the vehicle when opening the drivers door? I suspect it’s the fuel pump priming and something else but was curious if anyone knew what it is. Thanks.

Reactions
Yes, I hear clicking and other noises. The dealer told me it’s a lot of the electronics activating when the key is sensed and even more so when the door is opened. It is strange though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
It’s normal. It happens again after sitting for a while when things shut down too.

Johns20ST

Reactions
I get a zipping, zipping should from under drivers seat when door is opened. Happens when car is cool. It also has happened after car is shut off for over 20 hrs and no doors opened or unlocked. Happens quite often, contacted ford twice, told me it is the transfer case learning its settings, would offer no other explainaton, no one else I could talk too. Five different dealers would not touch car, said ford said to leave it alone. Checked 15 other 2020 explorer ST’s at various dealers, none made any noises. None would not even do a diagnostic check. Where do I go from here?

Reactions
I hear the sounds as well when I open the door. It's always done that. Sometimes when I walk close to it it seems to sense me and make some sounds.

OP
B

Bdog

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the posts. As long as when I drop the ST in Sport mode it continues to plant me in my seat, I won’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
With so many electronics, solenoids, motors, etc. in cars now, I have learned from experience that some weird noises are pretty much to be expected. My soon-to-be-previous car's electronic throttle has made a loud electronic whining and clicking for a minute or two after the engine is shut off and just before the engine cranked on remote start; turned out that was just the throttle's motor actuating and that was perfectly normal. Since then I've learned to just ignore the weird noises when the car is just sitting parked and not doing anything. If it starts to make f**ked up noises while driving or running though...that's a whole other story.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Is it possible, it's the Auto tilt-away steering wheel function? When I opened the door of several test drives, the steering wheel tilted up and the drivers seat moved back to allow easy access.

Reactions
Johns20ST
If you've tied a memory to your keyfob, it will try to adjust the seat (and mirrors and wheel...) to their memorized positions. Even if you're already there, you'll hear some noise. If you go to any other ST that does NOT have the keyfob option set, nothing will happen.

PJ